Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Oprah

Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I disagree. I think everybody has normal knowledge by default. Everybody but me knows the usual knowledge of life.

And before somebody says that knowledge is relative, and that people hold different knowledge in life. I dispute this, since as human beings there are things we need to know above all else. Knowing by what margin Lincoln was elected is of less human importance than knowing how to get on with others, or knowing how to make friends, or knowing how to hold down a job.
we've been Rick rolled! alot of you knew it from the start.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,386,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I was going to go off and explain some academic philosophy, like empiricism vs rationalism or like true, justified belief or some junk but I re-read the post.

samston, normal is a vague term. I've learned over the course of my life that none of us are "normal." There have been instances in my life that have turned my beliefs upside down.

But if you truly think that you aren't 'normal' or that something isn't right then go get some help.

Talk to a psychologist or anyone (besides a forum) who will listen to you.

But if you think you're just lacking some knowledge you're going to have to be a bit more specific.

Our social environment is extremely important in how it shapes us, I know by missing just one social cue you can be labeled as weird or strange or whatever however unfortunate that may be.
I want the normal knowledge of life, you have it, why not me?

Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
we've been Rick rolled! alot of you knew it from the start.
It's true, some knowledge is of more consequence in the human sphere than others.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 AM

523 posts, read 3,806,145 times
would you like some cheese with that whine?

you should listen to me, boy. after all, i have the sacred "knowledge of life".

you don't.

i win.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
I want the normal knowledge of life, you have it, why not me?
You keep saying this, but you never add any details about what you want to know. Troll.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
what "experience" do you have that led to it?
Life

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Knowing by what margin Lincoln was elected is of less human importance than knowing how to get on with others, or knowing how to make friends, or knowing how to hold down a job.
Well, that's just silly. Getting along with others is something a human being learns from the moment they start interacting with others, which would be the instant your mom popped you out and you took a breath. There's no mystery to it. Making friends falls into that category. You either like someone or you don't, there's no 'learning' how to enjoy someone's company. Holding down a job has got to be the easiest of them all, because you don't even have to think about that one, your employer tells you what he expects you to do for your work, and you either do it or not.

I really think you're trying to troll us, but if so, you're pretty lame at it.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
Quote:
And before somebody says that knowledge is relative, and that people hold different knowledge in life. I dispute this, since as human beings there are things we need to know above all else. Knowing by what margin Lincoln was elected is of less human importance than knowing how to get on with others, or knowing how to make friends, or knowing how to hold down a job.
Ok, the type of knowledge you are talking about is not about the intellect which comes from school, teachers, and academic books. You are interested in the things that we learn intuitively that help to mold us into the social beings that we are.

From my experience, I had one person in my lifetime that I could go to and ask all sorts of questions like that. That was my grandfather. He would talk to me about anything and explain things as best he could. He enjoyed doing that. My mother, only a little bit. My father was too occupied with his own life and did not have that inclination. If there is someone that you are close to, maybe they can be of help.

Of course, you will still have to form your own opinions because, in the end, you are not a carbon copy of anyone else. And the only way that we can do that is by keeping our eyes wide open to the things that seem to work all around us. You can observe the people that are successful doing the things you have briefly mentioned. You can even talk to them about these things that are on your mind.

There are even books that can be helpful on this part of one's life. Not all self-help books will work, but maybe on will click with you. Overall, I think this is something that is acquired throughout a lifetime with refinements taking place all the time as we learn what works, what doesn't, and why we do the things we do.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Well, that's just silly. Getting along with others is something a human being learns from the moment they start interacting with others, which would be the instant your mom popped you out and you took a breath. There's no mystery to it. Making friends falls into that category. You either like someone or you don't, there's no 'learning' how to enjoy someone's company. Holding down a job has got to be the easiest of them all, because you don't even have to think about that one, your employer tells you what he expects you to do for your work, and you either do it or not.

I really think you're trying to troll us, but if so, you're pretty lame at it.
How is what I said wrong? Is it because you can't counter it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality