Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Actually I think you might be suffering from dyslexia. You don't need a god, you need a dog. Theykeep you company, and they are great listeners
I gotta agree here, puppy breath and a thorough face washing will flat out get your attention!!!! I have yet to have one of my dogs rat me out on something I said or did. AND.....they are always soooooooo glad to see me. I know that, at least in their lives, I am really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I can see that I'm going to have to decide on something polytheistic. (sigh) Lemme go get my checkbook. Warning, you guys: $.30 only goes so far three ways.
But with a couple hundred thousand subscribers, I won't complain.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 PM

122 posts, read 143,210 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.

I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.

I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.

I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")

I want to feel...not alone. Like there's a reason. A purpose.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Worship God the one who created u alone without any partners because he is the one who can hear u and see u.The one who gave u life and the only one who can take it.

In the name of Allah most gracious,most merciful.All praice is for God Lord of all creation.The compassionate,the Merciful.Master of the Day of Judjment.You alone we worship.You alone we beseech for help.Guide us to the Straight Path.The path of whom you have favored;not of those who have incurred your Displeasure.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Quote:
I can see that I'm going to have to decide on something polytheistic. (sigh) Lemme go get my checkbook. Warning, you guys: $.30 only goes so far three ways.
Well, at least you have proven that you give a dime.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Well EXACTLY. This is what confuses me about it! Could I have that "god gene"? Does that actually exist?
You have that God gene or you would not be questioning and desiring.

I would suggest one or two things: Read the book, The Case for a Creator or sit in meditation and experience God directly just as the Mystics have done. The latter is a much more fulfilling and convencing experience. Remember, God does not have to be the God of the Bible that all of the atheists are against.

I, too, had that longing to know for many years, and then when I started meditation I still didn't know; then one day I did. But I don't know if all meditators have that experience or not.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I gotta agree here, puppy breath and a thorough face washing will flat out get your attention!!!! I have yet to have one of my dogs rat me out on something I said or did. AND.....they are always soooooooo glad to see me. I know that, at least in their lives, I am really important.

Ahhhhhh I love puppies......

Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Yes. I do.

I want to have "prayers" and to sit down and say them and KNOW they're the right thing to say and that somebody is hearing them.

I want to feel important. I do want to feel like somebody "made" me purposefully, simply because humans are so uber-cool and I'm one of them.

I want to believe that when they die, truly awful people, albeit in my definition (even if that definition matches that of many other people), get punished somehow and that people who are good get some sort of reward for their day-to-day earthly sufferings.

I want to believe that there's something bigger than myself. One thing. One big thing. (I guess I already said "big.")

I want to feel...not alone. Like there's a reason. A purpose.

But...

I can not seem to get a grip on "believing in God" and "choosing" a religion. Period. I can't do it. I have tried for so, so, so many years. From the time I was very little, I told myself (and everyone else) that I believed in God. For a while that was the Christian God or at least my interpretation of Him. For a while it was the Goddess. It's been Hindu god names...Celtic god names...etc.

But I never TRULY felt I was telling the truth to whomever God was, nor was I telling the truth to myself.

I don't know if I believe in God. At all.

This puts me in a horribly, horribly, horribly lonely place. I can't describe it. And I don't know what to believe anymore. This is all quite serious, folks. I'm not being facetious or trying to make a point.

I am lonely. Because I don't have a God. No matter how I try...I don't have one. Not for real. I just can't seem to outright "believe"...except when I'm VERY scared of bad things that could happen after death. And WTH is that? Not love, that's for sure!

I'm certain a few people will say, "Why do you feel the need to believe in some skygod in order to feel like you're not alone?" and the answer to that is: I don't know why. I really don't know. I don't consider myself a stupid person. I think constantly. It's frightening how much of my day I spend thinking, pondering, wondering...about everything. I DO know how to think; I'm not a puppet and never have been, particularly to a religion. So: I don't know why I feel this way.

I shouldn't be lonely, God or no God. I have a family. But I am. I am so, so, so indescribably sad. Somebody help me through this. I just don't know how to feel. I just feel all alone...the person who doesn't have a God.

Thanks for reading.
Poor you, I guess you are on the way to Atheism, but being an Atheist is not for the weak.
Some would say that religion was born when humans became so smart as to realize what a cruel world nature has brought about.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:51 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Look up the Law of Attraction and the Power of Intention. They allow you to seriously sit down in prayer and pray without having to believe in a God or deity of any sort.

It's believing in our personal ability to change the things around us. Too many of us are in pure victim stance and think we have absolutely no control of what happens to us. But while we don't have absolute control over everything, we do have a lot more power to change our lives and our circumstances than most people believe.

If you don't believe in the Law of Attraction or the Power of Intention, try out some experiments for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:53 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
You have that God gene or you would not be questioning and desiring.

I would suggest one or two things: Read the book, The Case for a Creator or sit in meditation and experience God directly just as the Mystics have done. The latter is a much more fulfilling and convencing experience. Remember, God does not have to be the God of the Bible that all of the atheists are against.

I, too, had that longing to know for many years, and then when I started meditation I still didn't know; then one day I did. But I don't know if all meditators have that experience or not.
I have had the same experience. I am an atheist in terms of the Bible God and various other "gods" that are really just a product of the human mind. But when I sat down to meditate, a whole deeper reality became clear to me. There is a God in the sense that the Universe is quite literally MADE of energy, of love, of a creative force. And everything from thoughts to feelings to physical things is made up of that source. I generally shy away from the term "God" because of the Judeo-Christian connotations behind that word, but if I were to say I believe in a god, that would be my God.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have had the same experience. I am an atheist in terms of the Bible God and various other "gods" that are really just a product of the human mind. But when I sat down to meditate, a whole deeper reality became clear to me. There is a God in the sense that the Universe is quite literally MADE of energy, of love, of a creative force. And everything from thoughts to feelings to physical things is made up of that source. I generally shy away from the term "God" because of the Judeo-Christian connotations behind that word, but if I were to say I believe in a god, that would be my God.

I think there is much to be said for the need of some to be connected spiritually. Sometimes that need is what brings us to where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality