Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 PM

395 posts, read 1,287,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
##Joe im probly not the best person to discuss these topics with,my knowledge of the Vedas are limited, there are alot of concepts and scriptures to go through,i personaly think that if your interested in reading any of the scriptures it would be best to read the Bhagavad Gita,although lookin back on my post,i said i ''know''it is written in the Bhagavatam i should have realy said''i think'',so if you dont find what your lookin for then it could definitly be somewhere else.but the best thing to do for clarity would be to approach a devotee,,,,,sorry for any inconvieniance, i find this stuff very interesting and amazing,and since Krishna Himself opened up my heart chakra through His Name(chanting)i have no doubt that he exists,however as i said my personal knowledge on the subject matter is limited,i only remember this stuff from conversations ive had with others,ive read the Gita though,not fully mind you,but not yet the Bhagavatam,thats why i should have said ''i think'' and not ''know''.thanks for the link though and good luck in your search.

however let me kno exactly what your looking to find and ill do my best to help you find it!
I have read Gita too Dobeable. But the problem is, I felt that i was completely dependent on the translator. I mean, I read the english version and not the Sanskrit. So, I felt I am reading what the translator is trying to say and not what Krsna is trying to say.

I wasnt aware of the chanting Krsna name though. I was always under the impression that Krsna wanted us to chant Om, because that is believed to be "Brahmand". I am not sure how many of you are understanding what I am saying because its all a bit regional.

If anyone is interested in anything specific, i would surely elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 05:49 PM

713 posts, read 1,958,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Cute little bit of recorded history (perhaps accurate, perhaps not) from a small boy who had been thoroughly indoctrinated into the mandatory Christian upbringing and religious mores (prn: "morays") of the day. Which were considerable, with obvious and potent punishments for those who denounced them.

Hence, in effect, everyone who didn't want to be socially ostracized was a "practicing" Christian. Just as, a thousand years earlier, everyone in the dark, dank and scary cave was willing to paint their heads blue and dance around the sacrificed lamb to ward off the evil gawd of Darkness and Disease, with his ongoing claps of lightning and thunder right outside, where, of course, he was ominously lurking and waiting to grab someone!

If this is an actual and accurate statement, it does show the sort of intellect and logic that this lad eventually capitalized on, including his mature, adult denial of the Christian God.

Well, thx for the Appeal to Imagined Authority.

But now, in the spirit of equal time and honest debate, could you please look up and link us to a video quote from an adult Neil deGrasse Tyson on God and Religion? As a fair alternative? If not, I can do it for you. Lemme know, OK?

(BTW, how's Tom the Father doing? We miss him! Really we do!)

It looks like he has cancer... not sure when he will be back on.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,251,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
The original translation for Tat Tvam Asi is That Art Thou; as in everything lies in our consciousness.
We were all right there when it began because we are nothing but a manifestation of consciousness. Anyway, that's what it is written in our "Upanishads" which I am little bit aware of.

Dobeable, if you really give it a thought and look at every prophet, you will see that ALL of them had been great mediators. The idea behind meditation is to get control over your mind. Forget about Krsna, even Jesus was into meditation. Our consciousness has such immense power that we only need to "will" it to happen and it will.
Like I said, this is my belief (Hindu). I am not talking from Christianity perspective.
one thing i'll never be able to forget about in this life Krishna,id have to forget about all those magical moments when my heart opened up,although i dont think you meant it that way BTW,im just saying,i had some nice experiences through Krishna somehow when i was about 17 years old and still a christian,and before i even picked up a book i knew their was potency in Him,till this day i dont know how or why these things happened but they did,and i experienced ecstacy on a deep level that wasnt done bye my own mind,if i could turn that on anytime beleive me i would.

but yeah,Jesus meditated every-day,their is knowledge and truth to be got from ALL religions,thats something that most Hindu's understand,and sadly the christians,most of them anyway,cant understand that god is unlimited and has innumerable form's,the beauty theycould learn from the Hindu traditions,cultures and all the many scriptures that speak of the knowledge of God consioussness.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I have read Gita too Dobeable. But the problem is, I felt that i was completely dependent on the translator. I mean, I read the english version and not the Sanskrit. So, I felt I am reading what the translator is trying to say and not what Krsna is trying to say.

I wasnt aware of the chanting Krsna name though. I was always under the impression that Krsna wanted us to chant Om, because that is believed to be "Brahmand". I am not sure how many of you are understanding what I am saying because its all a bit regional.

If anyone is interested in anything specific, i would surely elaborate.
it depends what version of the Gita you get,many people have translated it in the past but i assure you that if you have not read Prahupada's version-''Bhagavad gita as it is'',then you are most definitly missing out.the written sanskrit is there along with the english translation,but more importantly is Prahupada's purports,,Prahupada was in the direct disciplic succsession that goes all the way back to when the Gita was spoken 5000 years ago to Arjuna,which gives prahupada the authority on the Gita.

it was 500 years ago when Krishna appeared disguised as his own devotee-Lord Chaitanya,it was this incarnation of Krishna who brought and put the potency in the chanting of the Maha Mantra.

ALL of Gods names are holy,the Maha Mantra is God Himself in the form of sound,when we chant the mantra we are connecting to His energy,He has put His spiritual pleasure potency in it,but there are argumants amoung the devotee's on who should chant the mantra,because it is perfected when one is following the regulative principles for purification,and one is not supposed to offend while chanting,but most devotees would say,well its better to chant without perfection than to not chant at all,kinda thing.

one night when i was thinkin of krishna and srill struggling to overcome fearbased philosophy's,before i even knew anything about krishna,the only thing i knew was how beautiful He looked in those pictures,i started singin the mantra,and i didnt even know the order of the names in the mantra,i just knew it was ,Krishna,Rama and Hare,but i started kinda singin them in this rhytmic way,and before i knew it i felt this energy burst from the inside out,i mean i was shakin man,couldnt understand it,and stayed with me for the whole night,that was the first real ecstacy i felt from Krishna,without even knowing what was goin on,but i knew where it came from,and ive never looked back since.

there are no hard and fast rules for chanting,it can be done alone with beads,or in groups where they sing the Nama,its called Kirtana.all one needs to do is pronounce the Names correctly and listen,always bringin the mind back to the sound vibration,its best to do it in a prayerfull mood,and trying not to make offenses.

good luck and have a peacfull one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
is that Thomas R you's are talkin about.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that, Souper . . . I will focus my prayers on his recovery . . . do you know what and where the cancer is to focus my energies? He is a sincere and honest brother in Christ (no matter our differences about doctrines). Please give him my regards. In Christ's love, Mystic

Old 01-13-2011, 02:20 PM

395 posts, read 1,287,392 times
Quote:
it depends what version of the Gita you get,many people have translated it in the past but i assure you that if you have not read Prahupada's version-''Bhagavad gita as it is'',then you are most definitly missing out.the written sanskrit is there along with the english translation,but more importantly is Prahupada's purports,,Prahupada was in the direct disciplic succsession that goes all the way back to when the Gita was spoken 5000 years ago to Arjuna,which gives prahupada the authority on the Gita.

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHNA HARE HARE
HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE
I am taking to someone from Iskcon eh? Good to meet you.

Yes, I also have Prahupada's version. Perhaps I didn't understand him properly and hence the confusion.
I agree with you, the Hindu phylosphy is completely different from all the other religions which quite a lot of people do not understand. It wouldnt be n exaggeration if I said that many Hindus themselves do not understand it. The one who does is sure to experience the joy you did when you first knew Krsna.

I am into gayatri mantram, if you want the translation, let me know and I will give you..

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I am taking to someone from Iskcon eh? Good to meet you.
glad to hear it,im on me own here,im like a closet devotee within a closet,if you get my drift,but my time will come someday,im just too busy with family life and what have you,and since their is no temples around here,it would be a very rare thing to see a devotee,although i do go into town sometimes and eat some prashadam out of the Govinda's resaurant and always pick myself up a good book or two when im there............good to meet you too brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhi View Post
Yes, I also have Prahupada's version. Perhaps I didn't understand him properly and hence the confusion.
I agree with you, the Hindu phylosphy is completely different from all the other religions which quite a lot of people do not understand. It wouldnt be n exaggeration if I said that many Hindus themselves do not understand it. The one who does is sure to experience the joy you did when you first knew Krsna.

I am into gayatri mantram, if you want the translation, let me know and I will give you..

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT.
isnt that the mantra that was given to Brahma bye Vishnu at the dawn of creation???

i would LOVE to know the translation!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:20 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,925,342 times
I join Mystic in hoping the best for Tom. We jest, of late with some cutting edge to our posts, but then again, this is just a place where we can "out" our inner, hidden personalities.

Hope he joins us again soon.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,925,342 times
Quote:
is that Thomas R you's are talkin about.
No. Campbell34 (Tom Campbell; C34).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality