Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:12 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
If it is that important to you - you can send your children to a private religious school. Religion has no place in the classrooms of public schools. Like StillKit said - public schools are for children of all faiths - including no faith.
Shalom Dewdrop93...listen, opining that public schools are for children of all faiths does little for the task at hand...allowing The Word of God back into the public school system where it had been for nearly two hundred years before some folks got together and decided that the children of America didn't need The One True G-d to guide them in their daily walk through the public education system of America.
In place of G-d they installed uniformitarian indoctrinated "guidance counselors" who began to mislead impressionable young minds with the words of wolves in sheep clothing.
If one finds nothing wrong with this, well naturally ones inclination will guide them toward like minds. Practice makes perfect.
The Blessings of The Eternal One open your mind to The Gospel of Truth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Yup; your understanding of education and its goals and rewards is... interesting. I'm so glad you're not in charge of our public education system. Mayhem and moral disruption would surely ensue.

Probably because, along with not providing good lessons in morals and proper respectful behavior, the boomer parent generation preferred to leave those things to the "We Know Best" education system, the NEA. The Christian bible has no bearing on proper upbringing, obviously, except in the minds of the obsessed.

Oh. You mean properly removed after it had been illegally added in the first place by religious fanatics, contrary to The US Constitution, right? (Over-simplified social thinking has never solved anything, BTW.)

You betcha, good ideas. And well stated Wallisdj. The best thing? We position and relegate religious indoctrination where it so rightly belongs. The library or the home. Certainly not in science class, only in a comparative religious philosophy class with all the other spiritual options are presented equally. Never on it's own, falsely presented as a superior version to anything else.
Shalom rm...listen, if your intent in the battle for the minds of America's children is to indoctrinate them into the rites of humanism with all of it's pomp and circumstance...well, you're overstating the obvious...we know whose side your on.
The goals of a humanistic education system, and it's rewards may look the same as an education system whose foundation is Christ...for a while: sooner or later the light reveals what is hidden. Mayhem and moral disruption are occurring everyday regardless of your assumed constitutional right to opine in the realm of negativity.
"Good lessons in moral and proper respectful behavior" seems a bit wistful coming from you given your attitude of "plausible deniability" of the fact that it is G-d who gave you your intelligence to deliberate therewith.
Your obsessive need for complexity is duly noted. (4:17 says take your time ). The Blessings of The Eternal One harden your resolve...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, the Bible is appropriate for children, though the specifics of it should be presented at the appropriate age. Just as you wouldn't start Kindergartner's learning to read with "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," neither should you overwhelm their abilities to understand with the Bible.

But, in the classroom at public schools? No. That's not the right place for it. The public schools are for ALL children, from all different backgrounds, and the schools are not tasked with the religious instruction of our children. Neither should they be.
Anyone who is about to read the book of revelations should first be indocrinated with the facts that John was delirious and dying after being exiled from his home country to a lonely island. Otherwise his writings might seem like a *****'s nightmare.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
When I was in high school, we were all asked to read a passage from the bible each morning. All of us did it, except for one Jewish kid.

How I wish I had known that this passage existed.

It's in there alright, though the KJV renders it a little differently.

Of course, that chapter makes it clear that the "*****" being talked about is Jerusalem and the subject isn't sex, but "whoring" with other gods and peoples.

But, that wouldn't matter to a randy teenager, would it?

In places, the Bible can be as good as "Lady Chatterly's Lover," which was the underground, book du jour of my high school years.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Shalom rm...listen, if your intent in the battle for the minds of America's children is to indoctrinate them into the rites of humanism with all of it's pomp and circumstance...well, you're overstating the obvious...we know whose side your on.
The goals of a humanistic education system, and it's rewards may look the same as an education system whose foundation is Christ...for a while: sooner or later the light reveals what is hidden. Mayhem and moral disruption are occurring everyday regardless of your assumed constitutional right to opine in the realm of negativity.
"Good lessons in moral and proper respectful behavior" seems a bit wistful coming from you given your attitude of "plausible deniability" of the fact that it is G-d who gave you your intelligence to deliberate therewith.
Your obsessive need for complexity is duly noted. (4:17 says take your time ). The Blessings of The Eternal One harden your resolve...

Mayhem and moral disruption was occurring even back in the "good ol' days" when schools had Bibles and taught lessons out of it too, so what's your point?

I'm sure you could say, "Yes, but it's worse now," but that can't be quantified because back then, people hid things they don't hide now. Today, for instance, pregnant teenagers go to school but, back in the day, they were shipped off to places like the Edna Gladney Home in Ft. Worth. The point is that all the things which trouble youth now were going on back then, we just didn't see it. For another example, first consider the presence of gangs in the schools today, then go watch a mid-1950's movie called "Blackboard Jungle." Or, better yet, "Reefer Madness" from the 1930's.

And, teaching from the Bible did nothing to prevent those problems and it wouldn't in the future either.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Anyone who is about to read the book of revelations should first be indocrinated with the facts that John was delirious and dying after being exiled from his home country to a lonely island. Otherwise his writings might seem like a *****'s nightmare.

Your comment illustrates an important consideration when people talk about putting God "back into the schools."

Whose God? Mine? Yours? Someone else's? How would we ever reach a consensus about what to teach?

When some of my fellow Baptist's get to going on about this subject, I always ask them which version of Christianity are they talking about putting "back" into the schools. Baptist? Catholic? Charismatic? Pentacostal? Mormon?

All I usually get is either a blank stare or an angry response. They really haven't thought it through to it's logical conclusion.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Shalom Dewdrop93...listen, opining that public schools are for children of all faiths does little for the task at hand...allowing The Word of God back into the public school system where it had been for nearly two hundred years before some folks got together and decided that the children of America didn't need The One True G-d to guide them in their daily walk through the public education system of America.
In place of G-d they installed uniformitarian indoctrinated "guidance counselors" who began to mislead impressionable young minds with the words of wolves in sheep clothing.
If one finds nothing wrong with this, well naturally ones inclination will guide them toward like minds. Practice makes perfect.
The Blessings of The Eternal One open your mind to The Gospel of Truth...

The task at hand isn't the schools job. Nowhere in the Bible is it even suggested that the religious instruction of children is the responsibility of anyone other than the father. Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus says it best:

Ephesians 6:4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.

As far back as Genesis, the father is instructed to be the head of the household, functioning in effect as the family's high priest in religious matters. In the NT, his position in the family is compared with the position of Christ within the church.

Trying to shove the job of teaching our children about God off onto someone else is simply another example of the rampant irresponsibility in our culture. Rather than man-up and do what we're supposed to do, we want someone else to do it.

Leave religious instruction in the home, and at church, we're it's supposed to be.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As part of culture or literature studies I think it can be deemed acceptable even in public schools. Although generally you would need to also include books of other religions to avoid seeming biased.
Absolutely. Students need to be aware of all the major religions and how cultures were/are shaped by them and how conflicts occurred/are occurring because of them and learn about their histories and how rulers used/abused them for conquest etc. How else can the kids understand the benefits/damage of religion ?

This is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned as long as teachers or school staff just present the facts and do not endorse any particular religion. I believe this satisfies the religious endorsement ban in the constitution

Old 02-03-2011, 04:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Your comment illustrates an important consideration when people talk about putting God "back into the schools."

Whose God? Mine? Yours? Someone else's? How would we ever reach a consensus about what to teach?

When some of my fellow Baptist's get to going on about this subject, I always ask them which version of Christianity are they talking about putting "back" into the schools. Baptist? Catholic? Charismatic? Pentacostal? Mormon?

All I usually get is either a blank stare or an angry response. They really haven't thought it through to it's logical conclusion.
That's right. They may change their tune when a principle starts the day with a wiccan prayer, eh?

Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
That's right. They may change their tune when a principle starts the day with a wiccan prayer, eh?

The City Council in Dallas did. (I think it was Dallas).

They voted to begin each day with a prayer, naturally assuming a Christian prayer, but when a Wiccan Priest asked to do it, they couldn't tell him no without violating the Constitutional principle.

Not surprisingly, they quickly backed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality