Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Under God's guidance. I believe God will not let His Word be distorted. If it was, it would be of no use to us.
So, have you read the Bible in its original Aramaic? Otherwise it is distorted. Translating anything to another language always "distorts" it because words do not have the same meaning from one language to another, let alone from one time to another (2000 years ago) or even place to place (consider all the differences between American and British English right now--"lift" vs "elevator", "trunk" vs. "boot", "flashlight" vs "torch" and a zillion others. Thatis the SAME LANGUAGE, SAME TIME PERIOD. Imagine how differnet things are being translated (multiple times) over the course of 100 generations, many of them not literate). Even versions of the Bible in Modern English have texts that don't always say the same thing. So unless you are confident that you read the literal "word of God" as it was written originally, untranslated, then I have news for you: it's distorted.

The word "homosexual" did not even exist until the 19th century, coined by a scientist, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved servant View Post
Sad, God is the same today as he was yesterday and will be tomorrow.
God still hates sin, he destroyed towns for their pride, not retaining God in their knowledge. Not obeying what's right.

Sin is sin. We are guilty, however, the point is people want to justify their sex preference as righteous when God who made us said it's not right.
Now it's obvious some question God being real, or in the authoriy to comment on the issue. So, the issue needs to be settled, who has the authority to speak what is sin. If you and others will seriously seek the truth then you will find it.

The bible is the word of God and he has promised his words will never pass away. So far the bible has stood the test of time. Thanks to God's gift Jesus Christ I too am a sinner but washed by the blood of Jesus. I do not want to condem but I do want to point out it is not I who said it was wrong, and it is not I who deeply loves his people that he would die for them. So I really wished people would apply logic to the fact if god so love us that he would die for us, is it wrong that he has a say in to what defines sin? Really it's not important for me to crush people or to argue, but that they have freedom from the lies that are causing death to them. Lets not call sin good and good sin, please do not pervert God view of right and wrong so that a brother may stumble in his sin and die there, spending eternity in He'll where Jesus said that there will be weeping, Great torment,(paraphrased).

If you don't agree then fine but please do not stand in the way of true love reaching out to take off the shackles enslaving the ones in this perversion. There are absolutes and God is the one who defines them, it's not a matter of well that sounds good, no it goes deeper than we are capable of searching out.
Sad indeed.
That you apparently have no understanding of the cultural contexts in which the biblical texts were originally written.

Sad, that you think people who are physiologically homosexual can actually choose to change their physiology.

And sad - that you think you can speak for God and what he wants or does not want.

It sounds like you have made a God in your own image.

You are right....more wisdom is needed. I pray you seek it.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Nowhere in the 21st century, I wonder why, suppose God had a say?
It's apparent that you don't understand the references I made. Which suggests you have done no study on this topic.

Quote:
God, give us eyes to see what we been missing, give us wisdom, discernment,knowledge, and understanding of your word and character.
That would be great. Then there wouldn't be an issue about gay people.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:02 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So, have you read the Bible in its original Aramaic? Otherwise it is distorted. Translating anything to another language always "distorts" it because words do not have the same meaning from one language to another, let alone from one time to another (2000 years ago) or even place to place (consider all the differences between American and British English right now--"lift" vs "elevator", "trunk" vs. "boot", "flashlight" vs "torch" and a zillion others. Thatis the SAME LANGUAGE, SAME TIME PERIOD. Imagine how differnet things are being translated (multiple times) over the course of 100 generations, many of them not literate). Even versions of the Bible in Modern English have texts that don't always say the same thing. So unless you are confident that you read the literal "word of God" as it was written originally, untranslated, then I have news for you: it's distorted.

The word "homosexual" did not even exist until the 19th century, coined by a scientist, for example.
God is capable of sustaining His Word despite our inadequacies.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Odd then that there are some 38,000 different versions of his 'word'.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Sad, that you think people who are physiologically homosexual can actually choose to change their physiology.
As a straight (but not narrow) person who is also well-read, I have to say that there is a LOT of justification to Jaymax's statement.

(1) The Human Genome Project has gathered a considerable amount of evidence that true homosexuality is genetically determined. They don't yet have absolutely conclusive evidence, so their public statements are rather less definitive. However, if you read their public statements with an eye toward "why would they phrase it in this way" (or if you have a "contact on the inside" as I do), you'll see it.

(2) From my personal experience, gathered through extensive experience with the families of friends, homosexuality tends to run in families. This supports the hypothesis that it is genetically determined. For you to fully understand and appreciate this, you would have to know more about the specifics of the families in question. Of course, I cannot provide because of the confidentiality involved. Should you doubt this, just re-read Number 1 above.

Regards as always,

-- Nighteyes (who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:19 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Odd then that there are some 38,000 different versions of his 'word'.
Can you provide a link for that assertion?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Can you provide a link for that assertion?
List of Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"There are approximately 38,000 Christian denominations in the world. This statistic takes into consideration cultural distinctions of denominations in different countries."
World Christian Encyclopedia (2001)

Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
... that there are some 38,000 different versions of his 'word'.
I find it odd that this should come as a surprise to anyone, given that the first break - separating "Othodox" Catholic from "Roman" Catholic - and the biggest break - separating Protestant from Roman Catholic - came about because of fundamental differences in the interpretation of the 'Word' as expressed in the scriptures.

I could go on from there, but I think I've made my point.

-- Nighteyes

Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM

701 posts, read 800,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How is Sexual orientation just about "temptation"? You make it sound like gay people are just heterosexuals who also have a same-sex attraction. Homosexuals are not heterosexual. They are generally not bi-sexual either. A gay person's brain structure is different to a straight person's. Will praying change the biological differences in brain structure, chemistry, reaction to pheromones etc?

All the praying in the world will not make a gay man attracted emotionally, mentally and sexually to a woman as he is to a man.
Did I ever say that sexual orientation was just about temptation? I did say that dealing with the concept, of same-sex attraction from a biblical perspective, one had to understand the difference between sin and temptation. Temptation is something that every human being on earth today deals with. Each person struggles with a variety of different temptations in a variety of different ways. Temptation is essentially, the urge to act in a manner contrary to that which they should be doing. Temptation is the urge to sin, but it is not a sin to be tempted. Regardless of sexual orientation, any illicit sexual urge can be a temptation to sin. Now, this point I must make abundantly clear because too many church going folk have been dead wrong on this, and thus treated people in the most un-christ-like way. BEING TEMPTED IS NOT A SIN!!!! One more time, BEING TEMPTED IS NOT A SIN.

I apologize if I gave you the impression that I thought that "gay people are just heterosexuals who also have a same-sex attraction.", because that is not what I was saying at all. I read the testimony once of an openly gay man who, after turning his life over to God, found a woman who he married and started a family with. He said that his attraction to men did not go away, but he realized that if he wanted to be physically intimate with someone, and start a family, that he didn't have to get to a point where he found himself attracted to all women, he just needed to find one woman he could be attracted to. His life did not become a "lie", he loved his wife, and through that love found himself attracted to her, not all women, just her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality