Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Again what countries are you speaking of in comparing to thousands of years of murder and fighting and blind hatred?

Here is statistics for the number of people we killed with the bomb.

the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki,[1] with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day. The Hiroshima prefectural health department estimates that, of the people who died on the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% from falling debris and 10% from other causes. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness. In a US estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from flash burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness.[5] In both cities, most of the dead were civilians.[6][7][8]

I don't think we are very civilized in this country and we certainly don't have the team player attitude. We are still arguing whether we ought to give the poorest and youngest health coverage when all other countries already do this. We have this attitude of pull youself up by your own bootstraps. We are a very individualistic society. We don't think of the others so much.
There has been conflict surrounding Israel for thousands of years. The death toll can't be calculated because history doesn't keep track of things that far back.

I never said we were civilized, but I've already explain my POV. If you disagree that's fine. I just don't think that not giving everyone health care can't really compare to the basic hatred that runs through conflicts like Israel/Palestine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I thought the point of this thread was the contention that humanity is a non-Christian society. How did it evolve into an argument over America's relative level of civilization? (Or is someone trying to say that Christian society = civilization, and what we have here is supposed to represent all of humanity?)

If the latter, then I humbly suggest that someone needs to start drinking a different brand of coffee.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I thought the point of this thread was the contention that humanity is a non-Christian society. How did it evolve into an argument over America's relative level of civilization? (Or is someone trying to say that Christian society = civilization, and what we have here is supposed to represent all of humanity?)

If the latter, then I humbly suggest that someone needs to start drinking a different brand of coffee.
I actually do think that's the tie that Asheville tried making earlier in the thread.

Some of us disagreed, stating that religion had nothing to do with it.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I actually do think that's the tie that Asheville tried making earlier in the thread.

Some of us disagreed, stating that religion had nothing to do with it.
I didn't say it is the only cause, but based on civility between countrymen being the (supposed) most christian is clearly not a solution, as touted by christians. Christianity is clearly a divisive force in our society, as seen in the visceral hatred exhibited toward others on many topics, gay marriage being the lightening rod at the moment.

Our personal safety (from other citizens), the staggering percentage of our population that is imprisoned., the fact an individual is safer on the streets in their country, than we are on our streets, the behavior of citizens during disaster, i.e. New Orleans 2005, etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

Our personal safety (from other citizens), the staggering percentage of our population that is imprisoned., the fact an individual is safer on the streets in their country, than we are on our streets, the behavior of citizens during disaster, i.e. New Orleans 2005, etc. etc. etc.

Is that a wealth situation or a love situation? I think the second way I am safer in America.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I didn't say it is the only cause, but based on civility between countrymen being the (supposed) most christian is clearly not a solution, as touted by christians. Christianity is clearly a divisive force in our society, as seen in the visceral hatred exhibited toward others on many topics, gay marriage being the lightening rod at the moment.

My dad is from Africa... as I got older I was told stories about how my dad watched his best friend get murdered in his driveway, how traps were set to try and murder white farmers in his area. His family left the country.

As far as personal safety goes, I don't really think the US is that bad, but I also was raised to realize just how truly horrible it was in some countries.

I guess I'd have an easier time believing what you said it if was actually true. You state that Christianity is divisive, that Christians have a visceral hatred towards many topics - but that's not all of Christianity. There are numerous sects and numerous Christians who aren't divisive and don't have blind hatred towards those who are different.

If it wasn't religion, it would just be something else that would cause these same people who use their religion as their excuse to hate. It's who the person is, not their religion.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Wow... you're saying we're more uncivil than Israel or United Arab Emirates?
are you talking about politeness? cause AFAIK folks in the UAE are quite polite.

Are you talking about something else? Cause other than politeness, Israel is a very civil society - certainly no one there begrudges national health insurance, for example.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
are you talking about politeness? cause AFAIK folks in the UAE are quite polite.

Are you talking about something else? Cause other than politeness, Israel is a very civil society - certainly no one there begrudges national health insurance, for example.
I'm sure people in UAE are quite polite, considering their labor laws which have drawn criticism for violating human rights as well as their human trafficking problems. Would be scary to be impolite in a country where your typical person is viewed as "disposable".

I'm sure Israel is real nice well... except for the constant battling with Palestinians and the internal conflict between those who support what their country does and those who live with the scars of what they've done and had to see. I recommend Waltz with Bashir, it's a good movie.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
There has been conflict surrounding Israel for thousands of years. The death toll can't be calculated because history doesn't keep track of things that far back.

I never said we were civilized, but I've already explain my POV. If you disagree that's fine. I just don't think that not giving everyone health care can't really compare to the basic hatred that runs through conflicts like Israel/Palestine.

Modern Israel has existed as a state for less than 70 years - and there was related conflict for for about 50 years before that.

Ancient israel was a state roughly from 1100 BCE to 50 BCE (and between 586 BCE and 143 BCE it was NOT). So I do not know where you get thousands of years. And there is no evidence I know of that there was more conflict around ancient israel than around any other ancient state. Conflict has been part of human history just about everywhere for most of history.

ANd yeah, historians do estimate casualties of ancient conflicts.

And there are many Israelis who do not have "basic hatred" There are many who are eager for peace, and others who are skeptical of peace, but with sadness.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sure people in UAE are quite polite, considering their labor laws which have drawn criticism for violating human rights as well as their human trafficking problems. .
my general impression is that Arabs are polite in general, sometimes overly so. Its part of their culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality