Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:31 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
irishmom, I don't know how to say this that hasn't already been said, but I'll try....

If we evolved from the same sludge everything else did, then exactly what part of us is in God's image? If God didn't create Adam as the Bible says He did, then that means that sin didn't enter the world through one man, and hence, it isn't defeated by one man. If you can take my bible apart at Genesis 1, the rest doesn't stand up either. And if Adam wasn't real, we can't trust Christ.

Evolution is denying the Word, the Savior, and God.

It also is non-existant, but then here me and GCSTroop go again!!
Completely agree with Alpha on this one. There was a real first Adam and there is a real Second Adam, who is Jesus Christ. Can't have literal salvation from the Second Adam if you didn't have literal fall into sin by the first Adam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:35 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,894,388 times
Default Alpha's Last Stand

How about this....

If Adam is allegory and metaphor, so is Jesus...

From Luke 3, the genealogy of a Christian's Lord and Savior...(BOLDED AREAS FOR THOSE PROCLAIMING ADAM AS ALLEGORY)

Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph,
the son of Heli, the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi, the son of Melki,
the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph,
the son of Mattathias, the son of Amos,
the son of Nahum, the son of Esli,
the son of Naggai, the son of Maath,
the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein,
the son of Josech, the son of Joda,
the son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa,
the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel,
the son of Neri, the son of Melki,
the son of Addi, the son of Cosam,
the son of Elmadam, the son of Er,
the son of Joshua, the son of Eliezer,
the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat,
the son of Levi, the son of Simeon,
the son of Judah, the son of Joseph,
the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim,
the son of Melea, the son of Menna,
the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan,
the son of David, the son of Jesse,
the son of Obed, the son of Boaz,
the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,
the son of Amminadab, the son of Ram,
the son of Hezron, the son of Perez,
the son of Judah, the son of Jacob,
the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham,
the son of Terah, the son of Nahor,
the son of Serug, the son of Reu,
the son of Peleg, the son of Eber,
the son of Shelah, the son of Cainan,
the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem,
the son of Noah, the son of Lamech,
the son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch,
the son of Jared, the son of Mahalalel,
the son of Kenan, the son of Enosh,
the son of Seth, the son of Adam,
the son of God.

so don't take my word for, take Luke's....and God's too.

As you can see, if the Bible falls apart at the beginning, the Savior wasn't and isn't real.

He is though, praise God, He is.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,203,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
My answer to the T-Rex question is yes, but not as a meat eater, and they drowned during the flood, thus covering their fossils with tons of debris.
But arguy, dinosaurs such as the T-rex were obviously meat eaters. I know the answer will be that I can't know that since I wasn't there and that God made everyone originally to be vegetarians (including the animals), but scientifically it is obvious, IMO.

Do literal creationists think that science is a bunch of bunk? If so, do you go to the doctor? Or is medical science a bunch of bunk as well?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,749,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
But arguy, dinosaurs such as the T-rex were obviously meat eaters. I know the answer will be that I can't know that since I wasn't there and that God made everyone originally to be vegetarians (including the animals), but scientifically it is obvious, IMO.

Do literal creationists think that science is a bunch of bunk? If so, do you go to the doctor? Or is medical science a bunch of bunk as well?
yes they WERE, but not originally, not until AFTER sin entered in, IMHO

Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Do literal creationists think that science is a bunch of bunk?
No

Quote:
If so, do you go to the doctor? Or is medical science a bunch of bunk as well?
I said 'No' to your previous question so I guess it follows suit that I don't necessarily need to answer this 'if so' question, but I do go to the doctor and I don't think medical science is a 'bunch of bunk'.

I am, however, a literal creationist. But only because My Father in Heaven is and My Savior is as well...I tend to follow their lead.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,795,029 times
Quote:
Why is it a black or white proposition? Isn't it possible for creation to be described in metaphorical terms simply because when it was written, the writers would not have understood the scientific details? Why is it not possible for the Bible to contain both literal and metaphorical, or figurative language?

Also, how do creationists explain dinosaurs?
I just read an article regarding this. In the article it described how the writing style of Genesis was analyzed by Hebrew scholars who basically determined:

The style of writing in the original Hebrew indicates it is narrative or prose, not poetic in nature. It concludes the meaning of the word "day" in Genesis as written is meant to convey a normal, 24-hour day. BTW, the scholar who did the research does not himself believe in a literal creation. But even he stated, and I agree, shouldn't you read narrative as that and not as a metaphor?

Dinos were created by God on the 6th day with all the other land animals. Two of the dino kind were aboard the ark with Noah. Dinos are described in the book of Job. The word dinosaur wasn't coined until the 1800's, so of course the word dinosaur is not in the Bible. Dinos probably did go extinct for normal reasons like many other animals of our time, lack of habitat, hunted, etc.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,436 times
Quote:
How about this....

But Adam in Hebrew is translated as mankind or the man...not a proper noun. I see no problem saying God was the father of mankind and Jesus is the son of mankind.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:43 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,749,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I just read an article regarding this. In the article it described how the writing style of Genesis was analyzed by Hebrew scholars who basically determined:

The style of writing in the original Hebrew indicates it is narrative or prose, not poetic in nature. It concludes the meaning of the word "day" in Genesis as written is meant to convey a normal, 24-hour day. BTW, the scholar who did the research does not himself believe in a literal creation. But even he stated, and I agree, shouldn't you read narrative as that and not as a metaphor?

Dinos were created by God on the 6th day with all the other land animals. Two of the dino kind were aboard the ark with Noah. Dinos are described in the book of Job. The word dinosaur wasn't coined until the 1800's, so of course the word dinosaur is not in the Bible. Dinos probably did go extinct for normal reasons like many other animals of our time, lack of habitat, hunted, etc.
agree with Mams, apparently reading the same article

Old 07-27-2007, 08:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,203,170 times
Quote:
How about this....

so don't take my word for, take Luke's....and God's too.

As you can see, if the Bible falls apart at the beginning, the Savior wasn't and isn't real.

He is though, praise God, He is.
I don't follow the logic. But it's all good!

To me, it seems quite obvious that the figurative language jumps out and is easily separated from the literal. Basically, figurative language was used to describe the real process of creation, and of course real names were used for the characters involved, such as Adam ect, because they were real people. But so as not to confuse the early writers, who had no knowledge or concept of modern science (and mankind would not until thousands of years later), God simplified the creation part of the story so as to get to the events directly concerning the people He created.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

This is gonna be a bit off-topic, but I just want to publicly tell you, mams, I don't know what you do for a living or how much you may not like that feeling of 'Oh, I know but I'm fighting it'.

But you are being called to a higher calling my friend, so don't tell God you just weren't sure....I'm betting this isn't the first time that's been said to you....

Just thought I'd let you know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality