Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
EARTH TO CAMPBELL! The bible was not written in English.

Leviticus 18:22

ואת־זכר לא תשכב משכבי אשה תועבה הוא׃

שכב = Shakab. A hebrew word that only refers to forced or deceitful sex when it used in the Bible to refer to sexual relations.

And the entire chapter this verse is in, is talking about pagan worship. So I have no clue where you get the idea that there were no temples or shrines. Especially when we look at Deuteronomy.

Deut 23:17 No Israelite man or woman is to become a shrine prostitute.

לא־תהיה קדשה מבנות ישראל ולא־יהיה קדש
מבני ישראל

קדש = Qadesh - which is a temple/shrine prostitute in Hebrew.

The temples that are being discussed are pagan temples. The caananites and Egyptians most certainly had shrines and temples of worship.

And you obviously fail at history along with linguistics if you think women were treated nicely back then. Women were property, to be used as the men saw fit.

I really wish you were a Poe, because you are dang frustrating to try to discuss anything with.
It proves he hasn't even read an English translation of the whole of Leviticus chapters 18 or 20, let alone spent any time studying it in the original Hebrew.

Leviticus 18 starts:

Quote:
The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘I am the LORD your God. 3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.

And Leviticus 20:

Quote:
The LORD said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘Any Israelite or any foreigner residing in Israel who sacrifices any of his children to Molek is to be put to death. The members of the community are to stone him. 3 I myself will set my face against him and will cut him off from his people; for by sacrificing his children to Molek, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name. 4

If the members of the community close their eyes when that man sacrifices one of his children to Molek and if they fail to put him to death, 5 I myself will set my face against him and his family and will cut them off from their people together with all who follow him inprostituting themselves to Molek.
What's also interesting is that all the laws that had the death penalty in Leviticus 20, were repeated almost word for word in Deuteronomy.

EXCEPT for Lev 20:13. Instead there is the verse you mentioned - Deut 23:17 - which is about shrine prostitutes. Makes it even clearer that's what Lev 20:13 was referring to.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-24-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Well all Christians ignore the majority of the 613 Mitzvos in the OT. Whichever ones are convenient, but continue to quote ones like Leviticus to attack gays.
I've found that generally the people who like to misquote the Bible against gay people, have usually not even read the whole Bible (even in English), and have zero understanding of the cultural contexts in which it was written.

Why is it that these people are usually the ones who also say "the Bible is true! There are no errors in the Bible! The Bible is God's Word!"

How would they even know if they haven't even read it, let alone studied it.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
The bible is a book to be searched until the desired answer is found, then to be closed, as closed as the mind of the searcher.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Oh dear.
You really haven't even read the whole Bible, let alone studied it hermeneutically - have you.
Good general statement without any content Jaymax. Could you give us a few more details?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
The question was asked, answers were given. Those who answer in a manner against the "gay agenda" are attacked - which was the orginal, intended purpose of this thread.

"Tolerance for everyone, except those who do not think like I do" - the mantra of gays and liberals.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven."

The words in the above verse are quite clear too, yet you still appear to, at least, have a computer. Why haven't you sold it and given the money to the poor?

Not my computer genius....lol....you don't even know anything about me buddyrow...you don't know how much I give or take or anything pal....a sin is a sin and all who beleive in what Jesus did at the cross are forgiven...I sin and every Christian sins because we are in a human body, but it's recognizing sin and changing which makes us different from non beleivers

Old 04-24-2011, 12:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Wrong. That statement is directed to Greek heterosexuals who engaged in pederasty and prostitution.

There was no common occurrence of consensual, monogamous same-sex relationships in Greek society.
"In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another"

How can you twist the words above to beleive that? It clearly says men abandoned natural relations with women....Where are u getting your facts from? A study that man has done to disprove God? or are you just looking for anyway to twist these words to win an argument..the sentence above is simple

Old 04-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It proves he hasn't even read an English translation of the whole of Leviticus chapters 18 or 20, let alone spent any time studying it in the original Hebrew.

Leviticus 18 starts:

And Leviticus 20:

What's also interesting is that all the laws that had the death penalty in Leviticus 20, were repeated almost word for word in Deuteronomy.

EXCEPT for Lev 20:13. Instead there is the verse you mentioned - Deut 23:17 - which is about shrine prostitutes. Makes it even clearer that's what Lev 20:13 was referring to.

So the children of Israel left Egypt behind. So your saying when Moses went up on Mt. Ararat he had to pass the shrines where the temple prostitutes were? Or were the shrines at the bottom of Mt. Ararat? Were these shrines to be found in the wilderness? Where were these shrines located?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Not my computer genius....lol....you don't even know anything about me buddyrow...
What I do know about you is that you are not without possessions.

Stop judging others...it's a 'sin'.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
because the fact of the matter is being gay is NOT chosen and is NOT even a behavior. (you can be celibate and still be either gay or straight). So religious people know that the very nature of our existence PROVES that the bible is NOT literally true. So for selfish purposes of keeping their religious worldview in tact they'd rather attack us for selfish purposes.
If the Bible is not literally true, why does the Bible tell us the Jewish people would return to Israel in the latter years? And this prophecy is being fulfilled literally.

If the Bible is not literally true, why did Jesus Christ fulfill the prophecies of his first coming literally?

Saying the Bible is not literally true is one thing. Ignoring the reality is something else again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality