Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,983,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
So the children of Israel left Egypt behind. So your saying when Moses went up on Mt. Ararat he had to pass the shrines where the temple prostitutes were? Or were the shrines at the bottom of Mt. Ararat? Were these shrines to be found in the wilderness? Where were these shrines located?
Wow, I learn something new every day! I didn't know Moses went up on Mt. Ararat ... that's in Armenia isn't it? I had no idea Moses was wandering around the region of eastern Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Armenia. Silly me, I thought is was Mt. Sinai in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula where some mythological being named Moses (played by Charlton Heston in a movie) climbed to get a pair of stone tablets with something like ten rules carved in it.

Ritualized religious prostitution was something widely practiced in the Middle East in those days I understand and the Israelites knew about it's existence during their servitude in Egypt, and even before their exile in Egypt as it was practiced by their Canaanite neighbors and all the other peoples of the region. I once heard a Jewish rabbi explain that a lot of the "mitzvot" of the Jews started out as customs and traditions that were intended to distinguish the Jews from their neighbors, and also so they would not assimilate into the cultures and society of the peoples surrounding their territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,445,168 times
Quote:
Oh please, don't pull my words out of context. I was speaking of Leviticus 18:22. The verse in question does not adress rape. It speaks of two men having (SEXUAL RELATIONS) with each other. Sexual Relations has to do with two willing people.
I didn't take your words out of context,you said the bible doesn't say anything about rape and I pointed out an instance,and not the only one,where the bible says that God condoned rape.Leviticus doesn't talk about Jesus either,but I wouldn't make a silly statement like,'the bible never mentioned Jesus' and then complain when someone showed my statement to be in error,I would simply admit I mis-spoke if that was the case.

When it comes to the book of leviticus it is full of things that everyone on here is likely guilty of so either follow the whole book or quit picking and choosing which parts you want others to follow.Leviticus is full of admonishions against tattoos,wearing linen and wool together,letting different breeds of cattle graze together,eating foods made from blood,not eating shell fish.....it commands capital punishment for a huge number of offences,often through very grisly means like stoning or burning people to death.The people so fixated on the gays should take some advice from Jesus and quit picking up stones to throw.If we are going to use leviticus as the gold standard for condemnation from God we are all in just as much trouble as the gays.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,416,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Wow, I learn something new every day! I didn't know Moses went up on Mt. Ararat ... that's in Armenia isn't it? I had no idea Moses was wandering around the region of eastern Turkey, Azerbaijan, and Armenia. Silly me, I thought is was Mt. Sinai in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula where some mythological being named Moses (played by Charlton Heston in a movie) climbed to get a pair of stone tablets with something like ten rules carved in it.
Perhaps while Moses was on top of Mt Ararat, he was having a chat with Noah and his wife. You know... Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 04-25-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,894,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I didn't take your words out of context,you said the bible doesn't say anything about rape and I pointed out an instance,and not the only one,where the bible says that God condoned rape.Leviticus doesn't talk about Jesus either,but I wouldn't make a silly statement like,'the bible never mentioned Jesus' and then complain when someone showed my statement to be in error,I would simply admit I mis-spoke if that was the case.
Excellent point! But you'll NEVER get Campbell to admit he's wrong.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:53 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,584,903 times
Quote:
If the Bible is not literally true, why does the Bible tell us the Jewish people would return to Israel in the latter years? And this prophecy is being fulfilled literally.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Take a book that predicts thousand of things and find a match. You are now on par with the blind squirrel.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,986,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I suggest you actually READ the Bible itself, instead of picking up bits and pieces from Apologist websites.
I suggest you start answering a few obvious questions. Like where were those temples built when the Children of Israel were wandering in the wilderness for 40 years?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Take a book that predicts thousand of things and find a match. You are now on par with the blind squirrel.
Everything Scripture has predicted has either happened or will. You don't have to be blind to see this. Yet, you would have to be blind to miss it.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Excellent point! But you'll NEVER get Campbell to admit he's wrong.

When I said the Bible I was speaking of Leviticus 18:22

You must not have sexual relations with a man as you would a woman that is a hateful sin.

In that verse, there is no mention of rape or consensual sex.

However if you want to ignore Leviticus 18:22. I could see why one would want to create a new arguement.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Perhaps while Moses was on top of Mt Ararat, he was having a chat with Noah and his wife. You know... Moderator cut: edit
I misspoke there Jaymax. Of course you were only to happy to point that out. Knowing full well that I ment to say Mount Sinai. Yet with that knowledge you still failed to answer my question. So were were those temples located. Were they on the top of Mt. Sinai or at the bottom of the mountain? Or were they in the wilderness?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Ritualized religious prostitution was something widely practiced in the Middle East in those days I understand and the Israelites knew about it's existence during their servitude in Egypt, and even before their exile in Egypt as it was practiced by their Canaanite neighbors and all the other peoples of the region. I once heard a Jewish rabbi explain that a lot of the "mitzvot" of the Jews started out as customs and traditions that were intended to distinguish the Jews from their neighbors, and also so they would not assimilate into the cultures and society of the peoples surrounding their territory.

As I have stated on another post Clark Park. I misspoke and ment to say Mount Sinai. That being said, the Childred of Israel wandered in the wilderness for 40 years. And no such temples existed filled with prostitutes. Leviticus 18:22 dose not mention temples or prostitutes. It's meaning is clear.

Leviticus 18:22
You must not have sexual relations with a man as you would a woman that is a hateful sin.

Now if you don't want to believe that verse. Naturally you will start talking about temple prostitutes which have nothing to do with the verse. And when you start adding to Scripture this way, you can't possibily expect to walk away with anything that is even close to the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality