Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Please do not post if you cannot respond to both questions. Let's see if we can keep this thread open for more than a couple of hours.

1. Name one thing you like about Mormons or admire about their religion.
2. Name one thing you dislike about Mormons or object to concerning their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,323,890 times
Like- they seem friendly
Dislike- their practice of polygamy and child marriages

Old 05-15-2011, 07:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Please do not post if you cannot respond to both questions. Let's see if we can keep this thread open for more than a couple of hours.

2. Name one thing you dislike about Mormons or object to concerning their religion.
I like the fact that do not follow the teachings of Paul. I do admire the courage they showed in in facing those who do not believe as they do.

I can not think of anything I dislike about them. But there are several things They believe I do not believe. the largest being the Book of Mormon.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Dislike- their practice of polygamy and child marriages
FYI, they discontinued the practice of polygamy in 1893. Today, any member of the Church who is found to be in a polygamous relationship is promptly excommunicated -- no exceptions. You probably are thinking of some of the fundamentalist offshoots who are not part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (like Warren Jeffs' group).

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I like the fact that do not follow the teachings of Paul.
And you're thinking specifically of which teachings?

Quote:
I can not think of anything I dislike about them. But there are several things They believe I do not believe. the largest being the Book of Mormon.
Fair enough. Are you saying you object to the existence of the Book of Mormon or what it teaches?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
Quote:
As a former Mormon, one thing I like about Mormonism is the tight sense of community.

Quote:
I feel that the single most important thing a Mormon should learn is that the experience that he or she interprets as the Spirit confirming truth is not a reliable way to identify what is true. Or, just because you have felt what you call the Spirit it does not mean that there is no possibility of being wrong.

Now, why would I say this is the most important thing Mormons should learn. It has been my experience that most Mormons will not consider policies or doctrines on their own merits if they believe the Spirit has confirmed it. The only thinking that is encouraged after the Spirit has spoken is in demonstrating how the policy or doctrine is true. Once one is uncertain about one's knowledge then one can begin to hear and consider evidence that runs counter to the Church's teachings and positions.

Mormons need to quit treating women as inferiors, promoting homophobia, arrogantly looking down on non-Mormons, stop trusting their leaders so much, etc. All of these things will not begin until they consider that current policies and doctrines might be wrong, and that will only happen once they realize the Spirit is not a reliable way to identify truth.

Now, Katzpur and Imbobbb, both are rather liberal and permit themselves to disagree with the Brethern more than most Mormons. So, I encourage their approach to Mormonism, but their approach is not the typical one.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Like--seem like nice people overall. Most of the Mormons I've met have been very polite and friendly. I also like the understanding of humans as the children of God, where our souls are like droplets of God.
Dislike--the teaching that today's Native Americans originate from an evil tribe, and also baptizing the dead. I can't relate to the golden plates belief but I don't dislike it.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
And you're thinking specifically of which teachings?
The concepts of Pauls teachings of Salvation without works.

Quote:
Fair enough. Are you saying you object to the existence of the Book of Mormon or what it teaches?
While it does seem to have good in it, I do doubt the story about how it came to Joseph Smith

Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
Like - Their emphasis on family and family activities. (There are other things too, but you were one wanting one each) I thought if I had kids I would institute that Mormon practice of one day a week, or whatever it is, of family activity without TV.

Dislike - Agree with nimchimpsky on their view of American Indians as it seems pretty obviously untrue or at least unlikely.

To expand on that, see below, as I understood it there is something in the Book of Mormon about American Indians being descended from Jews who turned away from God and were so "cursed" with darker skin than Jews normally have and that their descendants will become a "light-skinned and winsome people" on converting. I might be wrong on the cursed part, but I'm pretty sure the idea that at least some American Indians descend from a Jewish tribe (one that had horses and chariots) is in there.

And I just find that really unlikely. True there was a period where there were horses and people in the Americas at the same time, but that ended like 8,000-10,000 years ago or so. And I just think it's unlikely a Jewish civilization could have been here without having clearer evidence. The closest I've heard of is some cave drawings that look like the Hebrew alphabet, but at most that maybe justifies a small group of Jewish people landing here. Like the failed Viking colony, only Jewish, and I think Mormons believe in something more than that.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-15-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I also like the understanding of humans as the children of God, where our souls are like droplets of God.
That's a kind of an interesting way of putting it. I like that.

Quote:
Dislike--the teaching that today's Native Americans originate from an evil tribe, and also baptizing the dead.
I think you could use a little bit of clarification on both points. Maybe later, since I really don't want to get off on a tangent so early on, and an explanation would probably do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality