Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 AM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times

Advertisements

I think the only questions I have about the Book of Mormon relates to scripture in the Bible. Look what the scripture says below, where does this leave the Book of Mormon?

[SIZE=2]Revelation 22:18-19
18 And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the words of prophecy written in this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

As far as Joseph Smith goes, from what I understand.. Some of his prophecies did not come true. (correct me if I am wrong)

[SIZE=2]Deuteronomy 18:21-22

"But you may wonder, ‘How will we know whether or not a prophecy is from the Lord?’ 22 If the prophet speaks in the Lord’s name but his prediction does not happen or come true, you will know that the Lord did not give that message. That prophet has spoken without my authority and need not be feared.

However, I am just saying what I have found in research. I am curious about all religions and ask questions so I can be more knowledgeable.

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM

67 posts, read 162,250 times
No wonder most people don't believe in the bible anymore. Most of you don't have a clue but will sure give your opinion on what it says and what it's all about. You have the appearance of the blind leading the blind. Some of you watch TV and think you got it all figured out. Oh, How small your God must be.

My God is so powerful that he spoke the world into existence, Made man out of his own image. So powerful is my God, that in times past, through the faith of his followers he allowed them to Subdued kingdoms, work all kinds of righteousness, obtain promises, stopped the mouth of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escape the edge of the sword, Made strength out of weakness, become valiant in battle, made entire armies turn in flight, (Heb 11:34).
My God is so powerful that not only can he do this but also keep the simple and corrupt man from changing his true written word.

2 Pet 1:20-21; Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation, For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 Tim 3:16-17; All scripture is given by the inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness , that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

How limited your God must be that can not accomplish this. Basically I believe that most of you just want to make God fit your own belief system rather than conforming to the one true image of his son, Jesus the Christ.

Rom, 12:2; Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. This requires faith to accomplish not personal rationalization on what you think or want it to mean.

Hew, 11:6; Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarded of those who diligently seek him.

Most of your responses sure make Gods point clear when he says "Mans wisdom is but foolishness to God"

If you want to know who's right, you can find out. All you have to do is desire to find the truth. It's not going to be found on some TV program or listening to someones' own interpretation, But by studying to show yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2Tim 2:15) In other words putting in into its proper context.

As long as there are those who want God to conform to their standards, we will have these type of personal opinions. Those who say the bible is not factual or not the whole truth deceive themselves, and one day they too will know the truth. Hopefully, it will not be too late for them.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Welcome .204! Just need to ask...slight diversion excuse me...what does .204 stand for?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
As discussed in a previous thread, do you believe the Bible is the Word of God? Do you you only believe in parts of the Bible that seem more logical to you, or do you believe the entire Bible is God's Word?
entire Bible is Gods word is what I believe.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .204 View Post
No wonder most people don't believe in the bible anymore. Most of you don't have a clue but will sure give your opinion on what it says and what it's all about. You have the appearance of the blind leading the blind. Some of you watch TV and think you got it all figured out. Oh, How small your God must be.

My God is so powerful that he spoke the world into existence, Made man out of his own image. So powerful is my God, that in times past, through the faith of his followers he allowed them to Subdued kingdoms, work all kinds of righteousness, obtain promises, stopped the mouth of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escape the edge of the sword, Made strength out of weakness, become valiant in battle, made entire armies turn in flight, (Heb 11:34).
My God is so powerful that not only can he do this but also keep the simple and corrupt man from changing his true written word.

2 Pet 1:20-21; Knowing this first, that no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation, For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 Tim 3:16-17; All scripture is given by the inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness , that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

How limited your God must be that can not accomplish this. Basically I believe that most of you just want to make God fit your own belief system rather than conforming to the one true image of his son, Jesus the Christ.

Rom, 12:2; Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. This requires faith to accomplish not personal rationalization on what you think or want it to mean.

Hew, 11:6; Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarded of those who diligently seek him.

Most of your responses sure make Gods point clear when he says "Mans wisdom is but foolishness to God"

If you want to know who's right, you can find out. All you have to do is desire to find the truth. It's not going to be found on some TV program or listening to someones' own interpretation, But by studying to show yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2Tim 2:15) In other words putting in into its proper context.

As long as there are those who want God to conform to their standards, we will have these type of personal opinions. Those who say the bible is not factual or not the whole truth deceive themselves, and one day they too will know the truth. Hopefully, it will not be too late for them.
good post, and welcome

Old 08-06-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Welcome .204! Just need to ask...slight diversion excuse me...what does .204 stand for?
My first choices were already taken. Couldn't think of anything great, so I just used the calibre of my favorite rifle.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Thumbs up God--bigger than your idolization of the Bible, bigger than my (small) doubts in it.

Quote:
Oh, How small your God must be.

My God is so powerful that He took responsibility for His creation, and reconciled them all back unto Himself via His Son, Jesus Christ. My God can, and does, accomplish whatever He desires.

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good" 1 Thess 5:10

I refuse to make the Bible an idol. It is a Divinely Inspired book that was written by men. Fallible, imperfect men. If I find that some of it is figurative and not literal, then that makes me no less a believer.

Understand, I find the Bible--from what I have seen--to be probably at least 95% accurate, although very mistranslated in parts. But some things don't seem to make sense and thinking that documents that are thousands of years old may not be giving us the entire picture is not blasphemy, IMO, but just seeing things for how they actually are.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:38 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,188 times
Quote:
My first choices were already taken. Couldn't think of anything great, so I just used the calibre of my favorite rifle.
Ah ha! Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
My God is so powerful that He took responsibility for His creation, and reconciled them all back unto Himself via His Son, Jesus Christ. My God can, and does, accomplish whatever He desires.

"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good" 1 Thess 5:10

I refuse to make the Bible an idol. It is a Divinely Inspired book that was written by men. Fallible, imperfect men. If I find that some of it is figurative and not literal, then that makes me no less a believer.

Understand, I find the Bible--from what I have seen--to be probably at least 95% accurate, although very mistranslated in parts. But some things don't seem to make sense and thinking that documents that are thousands of years old may not be giving us the entire picture is not blasphemy, IMO, but just seeing things for how they actually are.
I think you mean 1Thess 5:21? However read the entire context of that scripture starting in verse 12. Then look at verse 21 as it relates to Phil 4:8 and 1John 4:4-6.

Fully Believing in the bible does not make it an idol. The book is not what is holy, The message is what is holy. Now if the message from your bible is only 95% accurate, then throw it away, it's not of God. God can not lie or deceive. God does not leave us to our own devices to figure out what he wills of man.

You are correct in your statement that some parts of the written word are figurative and some are literal. That's where study comes into play which allows us to put things into proper context.

When studying, we need to consider; Who wrote the message, why was it written, who was the message for, what was going on at the time, what were they to get out of it and how does it apply to us today.

Don't feel your in the same boat about some things in scripture not making sense. We all feel that way. That's what is so important about studying. Accuracy comes from diligent study. Using a good concordance of the Greek and Hebrew will help immensely.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
I think you mean 1Thess 5:21? However read the entire context of that scripture starting in verse 12. Then look at verse 21 as it relates to Phil 4:8 and 1John 4:4-6.
Reading all of the above only confirms how I interpreted the verse, IMO. And yes that is the verse I meant.

Quote:
Fully Believing in the bible does not make it an idol. The book is not what is holy, The message is what is holy.
Please don't get me started. Which part then? The many different translations, the apocrypha, the disputed books of the canon...???

Quote:
Now if the message from your bible is only 95% accurate, then throw it away, it's not of God.
Sorry, not throwing away God or the Bible or Jesus simply because my beliefs don't line up with yours. You are the 2nd Christian to tell me to do so, and I must say, I find it quite appalling. I would never tell another Christian to do so.

Quote:
God can not lie or deceive. God does not leave us to our own devices to figure out what he wills of man.
Of course He does, or He would be here walking around and telling everyone in explicate terms what exactly is required of them to be rewarded in the next life. He leaves instead the Bible, translated and (mis)interpreted a million different ways.

Quote:
You are correct in your statement that some parts of the written word are figurative and some are literal. That's where study comes into play which allows us to put things into proper context.

When studying, we need to consider; Who wrote the message, why was it written, who was the message for, what was going on at the time, what were they to get out of it and how does it apply to us today.

Don't feel your in the same boat about some things in scripture not making sense. We all feel that way. That's what is so important about studying. Accuracy comes from diligent study. Using a good concordance of the Greek and Hebrew will help immensely.
Amen and amen.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 08-06-2007 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality