Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think theist try to claim that atheists have 'faith' just so that they (theists) can say 'See! You lot are just as crazy as we are'.
Really??? You can tell me that you know for a fact the secrets of the universe???? i.e. a theory of everything?????

If you say no, then I am left with the assumption that you have """faith""" in the fact that one day all these questions will be answered by science because as of now, they HAVE NOT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
So you are saying absolute truth exists?
Of course it does... are you saying that it dosnt???

If you make the claim that no absolute truth exists, my next question to you would be....is that the absolute truth????? { rule #1 in a debate.....never use self defeating logic }

Quote:
Nope! What's true is true, whether you believe it to be true or not.
Finaly Rafius, somthing you and I can agree on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 PM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Really??? You can tell me that you know for a fact the secrets of the universe???? i.e. a theory of everything?????

If you say no, then I am left with the assumption that you have """faith""" in the fact that one day all these questions will be answered by science because as of now, they HAVE NOT!!!!
My 2 cents...You know what they say about those that assume....I can say no, but that doesn't mean I have faith...What it means is I really don't care and I will go with the flow. As a matter of fact I think there will always be unanswered questions, at least I hope there will...What a dull world it would be if there was no more knowledge to seek.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I think theist try to claim that atheists have 'faith' just so that they (theists) can say 'See! You lot are just as crazy as we are'.
The critical error here is assuming that having faith makes you crazy. Once again, you attribute too much meaning to the word faith. It has nothing to do with religion

faith [fayth]
(plural faiths)
n
1. belief or trust: belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without proof .

Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

If you make the claim that no absolute truth exists, my next question to you would be....is that the absolute truth????? { rule #1 in a debate.....never use self defeating logic }
No because my very statement of saying there is no absolute truth is really a relative truth based upon the fact that I cannot prove it exists. The definition of absolute is that it can exist without any restriction or condition, and it's perfect and complete. My inability to prove it's existence is a restriction and condition.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 PM

Oh, but faith has everything to do with religion, as a matter of fact that is the backbone of all religions. Without it religions would fail.

Faith, Christianity... The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
The body of dogma of a religion:

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh, but faith has everything to do with religion, as a matter of fact that is the backbone of all religions. Without it religions would fail.

Faith, Christianity... The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
God = absolute truth

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
God = absolute truth
Sorry Gypsy girl, I can't agree with that at all....The best one can do is have faith in that statement, and faith is not absolute.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:

And the color green has everything to do with grass but somthing can contain the color green without being grass can it not?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Sorry Gypsy girl, I can't agree with that at all....The best one can do is have faith in that statement, and faith is not absolute.
What I'm saying is the idea of God and those who believe in him believe in absolute truth.

I agree belief in God requires faith...however belief in God requires a belief in absolute truth. That all truth comes from God.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is the idea of God and those who believe in him believe in absolute truth.

I agree belief in God requires faith and relative truth (faith)...however belief in God requires a belief in absolute truth. That all truth comes from God.
There is an absolute truth, does it include a God? Who knows????? At this point its all speculatory. { emphasis on "at this point" } As another poster said, we will probly never have all the answers. I am leary about putting limitations on what science can and cannot prove, despite my beleif in Deism { the sole beleif in a Creator }

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 06-17-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality