Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times

Advertisements

You know, as I read this and other religious forums in which there are debates, I have realized somthing... Atheists, Theists, and everything in between really arent that different.

1.] They both have somthing that they wholeheartedly beleive, regardless of the differences in what they beleive.

2.] Both can be very rude, judgemental, condescending, arrogant, etc. etc. when defending what they beleive.

3.] Both beleive that they know the truth about reality

4.] Lastly, regardless of whether or not Atheists are willing to admit it, both need to have """FAITH""" in order to beleive what they beleive.

4a.] theists and beleivers of revealed religions need to have faith that there is infact a God even though they have no concrete, non-refutable proof of one. Some need to have faith that the impossible events described in religious texts are infact true.

4b.] Atheists need to have faith that science will one day, un-doubtedly prove that there is no God. They need to have faith that science will one day answer all questions regarding the beginnings of time and life itself. { this is undeniable, there is NO theory of everything just yet } Lastly, Atheists need to have faith that the findings and opinions of like minded scientists are unbiased, and are a true account that has not been affected by their personal beleifs.

5.] At this point in time, both are purely speculative arguments. Neither can prove or disprove what they beleive to be true. { as I said, there is NO theory of everything just yet.

I am sure there are many more simalarities that some of you will post. But let me ask, with so many simalarities, why are we so harsh towards one another? Why is it so hard for us to get along? Perhaps its time to realise that no matter what our beleifs may be, we are ALL human and its time we start treating each other with more respect. No one of us is any better than the next.

Let me know what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,209 times
It's true that everyone, regardless of belief, need to have some sort of faith in what they have come to believe is true. Faith is hope in things not seen...and it's required when proof is not possible.

Reality after all...is really defined by relative proof. As of now we can all agree that the sky is blue because we all can relate the same fact However it might not be reality at all. Scientists might all come to the same conclusion that global warming is caused by Co2 emissions, or a group of people all believe the Sun is God. It doesn't make it true.

At this time we cannot "prove" that everything started as one pinpoint in time- the big bang. And we cannot prove God is real, or even if life exists on other planets somewhere in the Universe.

I like to think of us as seekers of truth...and that truth is relative to what rings true to each of us.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:11 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I like to think of us as seekers of truth...and that truth is relative to what rings true to each of us.
Nope! What's true is true, whether you believe it to be true or not.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I think theist try to claim that atheists have 'faith' just so that they (theists) can say 'See! You lot are just as crazy as we are'.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So you are saying absolute truth exists?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I think theist try to claim that atheists have 'faith' just so that they (theists) can say 'See! You lot are just as crazy as we are'.
Science requires faith and cannot be absolute. The very process of determining fact and theory requires a statement of faith based on (relative) observation. Therefore truth is only truth until it is possibly proven wrong.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM

460 posts, read 593,345 times
Truth.

Let us state that as a Given there is an absolute truth.

To understand this Truth, one must have the intellectual capacity to understand that Truth. To date, no human being has that capability.

To understand this Truth, one must also have experience. One might state that even if a being has been around since the Big Bang and could experience everything that has happened in the Universe, that being still would not have enough experience to understand this Truth.

On a smaller scale, the Earth has always been (more or less) round. If one were to state that this is an absolute truth, our ancestors were divided between believing the world to be flat and round. For too many centuries, the "flat" Earth belief was the only accepted truth.

Thus, "what is true is true, whether you believe it to be true or not."

The more science discovers, the more questions it has. Many people wish that one day science will have all the answers, and then a definite proof of a no-god will be available. But, most likely, this will never happen.

Currently, scientists are still trying to figure out why, in the vacuum of space, there are particles appearing and disappearing. "Something out of nothing" appears to have some validity.

If one Absolute Truth is that there are many dimensions, many timelines, etc., etc., and people only want to believe that there is one dimension, one timeline, etc., etc., it is not that these people are wrong. In fact, any view of life and existence is not wrong. It is merely how one perceives one's own existence. What might be wrong, in my opinion, is to stand on a pebble and insist that my view is the Absolute Truth and everyone should concur and adhere to my Absolute Truth.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
4.] Lastly, regardless of whether or not Atheists are willing to admit it, both need to have """FAITH""" in order to beleive what they beleive.

Thus not collecting stamps is a hobby

Faith is the belief in 'something' with absolutely no evidence.

Knowledge is knowing that without any evidence 'something' doesn't exist.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 PM

63,830 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
And YOU are able to KNOW what that truth is . . . HOW, Raf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality