Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 06:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,679,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I don't know how you define much, but from my point of view humans have changed a great deal. Some humans have evolved as much as Darwin's famous Finches. There are humans that have physically adapted to better dissipate heat, endure freezing cold, to better absorb vitamin A, there are humans who had developed resistance to specific disease all in a relatively short period of time.

well other than pathogens, I don't think they are big. What you are pointing out are minor changes. Like a car that put on snow tires. You can take a baby from 15 thousand years ago ( I'll say 60,0000) and raise it in today's society and it will be just fine.

take a baby from africia today and raise it in canada. It will be canadian. like, be very fond of moose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
One point of confusion stems from the idea that a. all humans that left Africa did so at the same time and b. that once they left, they never came back, neither appears to be true. There were multiple migrations out of Africa and due to climate changes there were multiple retreats back.

I also hasten to point out that traces of Neanderthal genes have been found in the people of southern Africa as well.

Humanity's forgotten return to Africa revealed in DNA - life - 03 February 2014 - New Scientist
yup.

with how fast we can move and the fact that one site, one anomaly, and people change the whole story leads me to move slowly on what I believe. An earth quake, erosion, freak asteroid hit sending debris all over the place can change data.

So the best we really can do is a loose story that fits a loose data set. There were multiple humanoids that lived together. It is reasonable to assume we interacted with them in many ways. Heck we interact with sheep in every way, why wouldn't we with other humanoids.

The tools. The rate change in tools gives us some clues in how different we are and the limits to those interactions with other humanoids.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 16,044,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yes humans haven't changed that much in 100,000 years or so. Why do you think we had such great men so many thousands of years ago. But I can't for the life of me figure out why you hold to a story that is no story.

"God made Adam in day 6". That says very little about how god did it. Your god did it through evolution because he is smarter than you. At the moment of the big bang we were going to be here. And you mock him by suggesting he went "poof there it is" and that he wouldn't show us how he did it.

well, you can't "mock" him because he knows better, but you know what I mean.
Maybe God didn't tell us exactly all the ins and outs of exactly how Adam was created because we wouldn't have believed it nor understood it. It is good enough to know that Adam was created ON the 6th day from the soil ON the 6th day and God breathed into him the breath of life ON the 6th day. God didn't create Adam from a fish, taking millions of years. That much we do know.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe God didn't tell us exactly all the ins and outs of exactly how Adam was created because we wouldn't have believed it nor understood it. It is good enough to know that Adam was created ON the 6th day from the soil ON the 6th day and God breathed into him the breath of life ON the 6th day. God didn't create Adam from a fish, taking millions of years. That much we do know.
number one it doesn't say how. Fish? Maybe, maybe not. That what we are finding out. let's keep to reason, common sense, and control at the forefront. Your god is logical and loving so lets make some logical and loving guesses.

use no data to say how god made atom.
-- or --
use gods own data, the rock record, to see how god made ADAM.

BTW: you never did answer me:

why is it so revolting to you that god may have done it through evolution?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 AM

18,566 posts, read 9,256,578 times
Quote:
Of course. It's so obvious.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

8,582 posts, read 12,535,754 times
Quote:
Why would there be overpopulation since the earth was chaos and vacant of all life (Gen.1:2) just prior to God making the earth habitable again around 6 or so thousand years ago?
It's kind of scary that there are actually people out there who believe this kind of nonsense. Are you by chance a Republican...running for President?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's kind of scary that there are actually people out there who believe this kind of nonsense. Are you by chance a Republican...running for President?
It's kind of scary that there are actually people out there that who believe that their drive-by disparaging comments lend some sort of credence to their side.

jackmichigan, we are adults here trying to have a mature conversation. If you can't abide by the Terms Of Service agreement, then I suggest you leave.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

why is it so revolting to you that god may have done it through evolution?
It is not a matter of it being revolting. If God had brought humanity into existence via evolution He was not bankrupt for words to tell us. Since He did tell us He didn't use evolution, then I'll stick with His side of the story.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 PM

8,582 posts, read 12,535,754 times
Quote:
It's kind of scary that there are actually people out there that who believe that their drive-by disparaging comments lend some sort of credence to their side.

jackmichigan, we are adults here trying to have a mature conversation. If you can't abide by the Terms Of Service agreement, then I suggest you leave.
Ha. I've just always found it amusing that some people pretend that God is god of the Universe, and then they relegate God to Earth only--by insisting that one day in Genesis must equate to one human day on Earth. That concept of God is simply egocentric.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM

7,584 posts, read 5,368,006 times
Quote:
Maybe God didn't tell us exactly all the ins and outs of exactly how Adam was created because we wouldn't have believed it nor understood it.
So, am I to take from this that God can just snap his celestial digit and create the entire universe but he makes his greatest creation dumber than a doorknob who takes 3,000 years to figure out the most basics principles of molecular biology?

Quote:
It is good enough to know that Adam was created ON the 6th day from the soil ON the 6th day and God breathed into him the breath of life ON the 6th day.
Actually it isn't good enough and hasn't been good enough for men/women of any faith for as long as mankind has been known to inquire about ourselves, and our surroundings. Much of the foundational work that led Darwin to his conclusions was based upon the research of such pious men as Jean-Baptiste Lamarck Gregor Mendel, and Bishop Nicolas Steno. Most major denominations have found no contradiction between the Theory of Evolution and the principles of their faith. Only those stuck in ignorance, and shrouded in superstition cling to literal reading of genesis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality