Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM

332 posts, read 532,916 times

Advertisements

Everyone needs to agree that there are no ACTUAL sources other than the books put forth in the Bible. The philosophy is great, very pure in nature, but not followed as intended now a days. Even christians need to admit it. Thats why it is called "Faith". Any way they put it differently, there are NO secondary sources of the life of Jesus while alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey713 View Post
Everyone needs to agree that there are no ACTUAL sources other than the books put forth in the Bible.
Actually, we don't all need to agree with you. But carry on...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,868,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, we don't all need to agree with you. But carry on...
Then what are your sources other than the Bible or other religious works?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,398,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then what are your sources other than the Bible or other religious works?

And we've finally come full circle back to the original OP!

@katz - sorry for getting you confused with the member that held up the Book of Mormon as being proof that Jesus existed.

I'm waiting for some non-religious texts/records/fossils/evidence that point to Jesus being a real person, let alone the "son of God" or some sort of miracle worker.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

I'm waiting for some non-religious texts/records/fossils/evidence that point to Jesus being a real person, let alone the "son of God" or some sort of miracle worker.
I'd find yourself something to do if I were you....it's going to be a long wait.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,398,118 times
I share that very same suspicion, Raf.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I share that very same suspicion, Raf.
I've no doubt that there is some theist out there who is, even as we speak, carefully and lovingly dusting down and polishing up Josephus, Thallus, Tacitus, Lucian, Pliny et al, ready to wheel them out again with squeals of delight at thinking they have discovered something new and congratulating themselves for having brought 'Truth' to our attention.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,924,442 times
Default Proof? Huh? Where? What? How?

Standards of "Proof", and let's be generous here... "vary" greatly with the devoutly "wanna-believe-with-all-my-heart'n'soul!" religious. They pray repeatedly and occasionally something happens that sorta-kinda fits into their fervent hopes. (and the obvious corollary: when nothing happens, or the wrong or diametrically opposite thing occurs, they completely ignore it, or if they cannot, it's "Well... God works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? Praise the mysteries of our loving God"

Thus, absolutely, there IS a God. "PROVEN!" And ditto for Jesus, though no-one seems to attribute any real-world physical actions to him. (So then ...what exactly is it that he does do nowadays? Just curious!!)

Where would Christianity be if there were no Son of God? Indeed, where is it now that Evolution and a 4 billion+ year old earth, has been, at least for the reasonable, been more than proven beyond a common sense perspective?

Seems to me it's en-route to eventual oblivion, kept alive today only by staunch stubborn-ism and it's twin, denialism. The Intransigent Twins!

Well, keep it up, devotees of God & Son! You have nothing to lose 'ceptin' your innocence!

Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,956,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The Talmud says he was the bastard son of a Roman soldier, was conceived during menstruation and learnt 'black magic' in Egypt. You wanna run with that??
The Jewish Talmud says a lot worse than that about Jesus, they acknowledge him, but it is not a favorable acknowledgement. Of course, you don't hear much about that from Fundies. I don't think most even are aware of it.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The Jewish Talmud says a lot worse than that about Jesus,....
I know.... but I didn't want to make the fundies cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality