Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,814,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
See edit to my post.
Oh, that looks very good. I will check into it and pass along the rec to my husband and to my best friend. We love learning more, although my best friend gets very angry as she reads. She feels that she was lied to by "the church" almost her entire life, and that she's just now learning the truth that scholars have known for decades or centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,894,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
.... my best friend gets very angry as she reads. She feels that she was lied to by "the church" almost her entire life,....
She was.

I'd also recommend Metzgers book "The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration"

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,814,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
She was.

I'd also recommend Metzgers book "The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration"
Thank you!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,967,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
ALLAH closed the door for any one to claim about holy book from God after the Quran, and also closed the door for any one to claim that he is a prophet or some one is a prophet after Prophet Mohammad peace and blessing be upon him .

Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the messenger of Allah and the Seal of the Prophets and Allah is ever Aware of all things. The Noble Quran .
in Islam no one would dare to say that he is a prophet because he knows that we have a perfect book from ALLAH with a perfect control .

The Quran has all the final rules and instructions from ALLAH
There is not a moving (living) creature on earth, nor a bird that flies with its two wings, but are communities like you. We have neglected nothing in the Book, then unto their Lord they (all) shall be gathered.The Noble Quran .

and the way i understand regarding that kid Joseph Smith he found a new version of the BIBLE then he got under strong illusion and his own bad angel took advantage of that and kept whispering on him that he is a prophet and he saw God and his son Jesus while the truth is ALLAH does not have a son and Jesus is not the son OF ALLAH
Jesus is only a prophet and a messenger from ALLAH as the rest of prophets and messengers .

then this kid liked the idea and adopted it and it is a great feeling to act as a prophet and it brings influence and power and followers .

and where are this gold plates that he found and used it for his book ?
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in the Book of Mormon anymore than I do the Bible or the Quran. But the point is, each believer of their respective faith believes without any doubt in their minds that their book is right and is proof for them. I don't begrudge anyone their belief, as it is truth for them. All I ask is respect for others' beliefs and not to be proselytized.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:04 PM

439 posts, read 558,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nicely done. But we see that it just bounces off the skull of the believer who insists that reference to passing through clouds proves some divinely advanced astronomical knowledge. And refusing to listen is held up as a point scored. Giving up in despair is interpreted as a Win.

Thankfully those who are not already indoctrinated will see the intellectual poverty and dishonesty of such arguments.

the following verse refers to earth rotation by saying

that the mountains pass like the passing of the clouds

and it did not say passing through clouds .
Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed,
but they pass like the passing of the clouds,
(such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of all things in perfect order,
for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 27:88)"
may be this 2.33 minutes clip will help you to understand.

‪MIRACLES OF THE QUR'AN.THE EARTH'S DIRECTION OF ROTATION.(www.harunyahya.com)‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,234,569 times
Some ancient Greeks nearly a thousand years earlier thought the Earth was round, without any help from Allah but by rational observation. So it really isn't so miraculous. That was some nice time-lapse photography, though.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmessage View Post
the following verse refers to earth rotation by saying

that the mountains pass like the passing of the clouds

and it did not say passing through clouds .
Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed,
but they pass like the passing of the clouds,
(such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of all things in perfect order,
for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 27:88)"
may be this 2.33 minutes clip will help you to understand.

‪MIRACLES OF THE QUR'AN.THE EARTH'S DIRECTION OF ROTATION.(www.harunyahya.com)‬‏ - YouTube
Since I misquoted the quote I'll give your clip the chance to make its case.

The passage reads as thus, here:
27:87 And on the day when the trumpet shall be blown, then those who are in the heavens and those who are in the earth shall be terrified except such as Allah please, and all shall come to him abased.
27:88 And you see the mountains, you think them to be solid, and they shall pass away as the passing away of the cloud -- the handiwork of Allah Who has made every thing thoroughly; surely He is Aware of what you do.
27:89 Whoever brings good, he shall have better than it; and they shall be secure from terror on the day.

Now you can read arabic, and I can't but it looks as though the text refers to mountains which, though apparently solid, will in time disappear as do clouds which disappear in a fairly short time. The sense is that Allah is ageless and even mountains wear down. When you think about it, if it was saying that the earth rotates it would not really be relevant to say 'you think they are solid but they actually rotate along with the bit of earth they are on.' The reference to solidity doesn't quite fit with the context of describing rotation but rather referring to impermanence.

Now, I have some doubt because if that is the sense then presenting it as evidence of rotation appears to be mistranslating the Quran and I find it hard to believe that a muslim would do that, so I suppose there is some ambiguity. I would be grateful if an arab speaker could clarify, but at the moment I think this post and clip is perhaps misleading.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-01-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM

439 posts, read 558,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Some ancient Greeks nearly a thousand years earlier thought the Earth was round, without any help from Allah but by rational observation. So it really isn't so miraculous. That was some nice time-lapse photography, though.

we are talking about earth rotation not that it was round.

and this is not only the only scientific sign in the Holy Quran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Since I misquoted the quote I'll give your clip the chance to make its case.

The passage reads as thus, here:
27:87 And on the day when the trumpet shall be blown, then those who are in the heavens and those who are in the earth shall be terrified except such as Allah please, and all shall come to him abased.
27:88 And you see the mountains, you think them to be solid, and they shall pass away as the passing away of the cloud -- the handiwork of Allah Who has made every thing thoroughly; surely He is Aware of what you do.
27:89 Whoever brings good, he shall have better than it; and they shall be secure from terror on the day.

Now you can read arabic, and I can't but it looks as though the text refers to mountains which, though apparently solid, will in time disappear as do clouds which disappear in a fairly short time. The sense is that Allah is ageless and even mountains wear down. When you think about it, if it was saying that the earth rotates it would not really be relevant to say 'you think they are solid but they actually rotate along with the bit of earth they are on.' The reference to solidity doesn't quite fit with the context of describing rotation but rather referring to impermanence.

Now, I have some doubt because if that is the sense then presenting it as evidence of rotation appears to be mistranslating the Quran and I find it hard to believe that a muslim would do that, so I suppose there is some ambiguity. I would be grateful if an arab speaker could clarify, but at the moment I think this post and clip is perhaps misleading.

the word shall and the word away are not part of the arabic text.

the translator thinks that the meaning of the verse is the mountains will disappear as you said and they will disappear as you can read in this verse
They will ask thee of the mountains (on that day). Say: My Lord will break them into scattered dust.
And leave it as an empty plain,
Wherein thou seest neither curve nor ruggedness.
On that day they follow the summoner who deceiveth not, and voices are hushed for the Beneficent, and thou hearest but a faint murmur.

but the literatim translation of the verse tells us that we see the mountains and think that they are freezed but they pass as the passing of the clouds.

if i am not muslim and some muslim showed me this verse as a proof that the Quran is from the creator i will not accepted because it is not enough but the Quran is full of scientific facts that were known just recently and the Quran is more than 1400 years old and we got it from a prophet that does not know how to and does not know how to write

and it is not from him it is from ALLAH.

here are more proofs i posted in this forum

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...5-two-one.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...holy-book.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ock-knock.html

Old 08-01-2011, 10:20 PM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
The post about the roman defeated in the lower land I refuted myself by showing in a timeline that it was recounting the history of the time, not making a prophecy.

Your knocker' is translated as a herald - someone who comes knocking, not a pulsar.

086:001 And the sky and the herald. Waalssama-i waalttariqi
086:002 And do you know what the herald is? Wama adraka ma alttariqu
086:003 The piercing star. Alnnajmu alththaqibu

Quran (Progressive Muslims Organization)/86 - Wikisource

and this is a notable error in the Quran.

Man Created From A Drop Emitted From Between The Back Bone And The Ribs
“Now let man but think From what he is created! He is created from A drop emitted – Proceeding from between The back bone and the ribs.” [Al-Qur’aan 86:5-7]

I am far from convinced. And we are way off topic, anyway.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:54 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,775,447 times
As a carpenter Jesus might have been a paid up member of a woodworkers guild or something similar. If the records could be found, they could be useful. I don't know if he was calling himself JC at the time though. Of course he may not actually have been that good a carpenter (naturally, it would be easy to assume that he was a good one) and not been admitted.

High school reunions are another good source of information, through old newspaper clippings and reunion books etc. Someone surely would have heard if he had been crucified and risen from the dead. Anyone know what highschool Jesus attended?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality