Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times

Advertisements

I did not ask for the definition of corruption. Reread my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I hope you're simply being facetious about the need to define "corruption". I don't agree with corruption. You? Now the realism of one of the most significant of Founders:

"I must admit moreover that it may not be easy, in every possible case, to trace the line of separation between the rights of religion and the civil authority with such distinctness as to avoid collisions and doubts on unessential points. The tendency to a usurpation on one side or the other or to a corrupting coalition or alliance between them will be best guarded against by entire abstinence of the government from interference in any way whatever, beyond the necessity of preserving public order and protecting each sect against trespasses on its legal rights by others.
- James Madison

"The experience of the United States is a happy disproof of the error so long rooted in the unenlightened minds of well-meaning Christians, as well as in the corrupt hearts of persecuting usurpers, that without a legal incorporation of religious and civil polity, neither could be supported. A mutual independence is found most friendly to practical Religion, to social harmony, and to political prosperity"
- James Madison

"Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, and the full establishment of it in some parts of our country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Government and Religion neither can be duly supported. Such, indeed, is the tendency to such a coalition, and such its corrupting influence on both the parties, that the danger cannot be too carefully guarded against. And in a Government of opinion like ours, the only effectual guard must be found in the soundness and stability of the general opinion on the subject. Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance."
- James Madison

"Union of religious sentiments begets a surprising confidence and ecclesiastical establishments tend to grate ignorance and corruption all of which facilitate the execution of mischievous projects"
- James Madison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The religious are a vast majority...in a nation that operates by the rule of the vote of the most people, or reps thereof.
I would rather live in a nation where the majority rules than one that is ruled by a minority.

Would you like me to give you a list of nations that are ruled by a minority? Many are called dictatorships. Some were/are called communist.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I did not ask for the definition of corruption. Reread my post.
I see you hate my response. Not surprised.

So, what did you mean by "Define corrupting"?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I would rather live in a nation where the majority rules than one that is ruled by a minority.
Iran. Nazi Germany. How about England in the dark ages? Go ahead and blame the founders for not supporting such ideologies in the foundational document.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The rule you speak of is in the US Constitution, designed to protect the majority from the whims of the majority. You seem to think it was designed to push the whim of the majority.
REALITY CHECK!

All the vast "religious majority" has to do...is vote in enough like-minded, religious-leaning Congresspeople. They can then use their "majority power" to change the Constitution to say whatever they want it to say!

There is NOTHING in U.S. law that can't be legally changed...not even the Constitution...with a big enough majority voting their agenda. You need to get hip to that!

When did some of the citizens of this country ever come to delude themselves into thinking this wasn't a "Majority Rules Nation"?!!

Lose sight of the fact that this IS a "Majority Rules Nation"...at your peril.

Keep taunting, mocking, and "pushing" the religious majority...and they will PROVE to you...if for no reason other than spite...just how impetuous and powerful they really are.

We are all about to suffer...for the egos of some...that "can't just leave well enough alone".

Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
REALITY CHECK!

All the vast "religious majority" has to do...is vote in enough like-minded, religious-leaning Congresspeople. They can then use their "majority power" to change the Constitution to say whatever they want it to say!
That has happened in Iran but not in the USA for 220+ years since the adoption of the Constitution. Why? Was America lacking in religiosity until now? Or is it that the religious corruption is finally showing its face now more than ever before?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I agree...there no more "fair" way than to satisfy the majority.

Never will all agree...so the best you can do is satisfy the most possible through "majority determination". That is the best that can be done to be the most fair.

If there is a more "fair" way...I'd like to hear it.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I agree...there no more "fair" way than to satisfy the majority.
Nobody can say Hitler didn't try to play the fair game...

"Today Christians stand at the head of this country. I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit. We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past few years."

Old 09-08-2011, 10:24 AM

75 posts, read 60,233 times
Quote:
REALITY CHECK!

There is NOTHING in U.S. law that can't be legally changed...not even the Constitution...with a big enough majority voting their agenda. You need to get hip to that!

When did some of the citizens of this country ever come to delude themselves into thinking this wasn't a "Majority Rules Nation"?!!

Keep taunting, mocking, and "pushing" the religious majority...and they will PROVE to you...if for no reason other than spite...just how impetuous and powerful they really are.

We are all about to suffer...for the egos of some...that "can't just leave well enough alone".
Whether people want to believe it or not you are exactly right.
I'm not even a christian, I've been an atheist since long before the new breed of idiots claimed it and turned it into some kind of pseudo religion.
They don't seem to understand that organized religion, when organized, is an unstoppable force. This whole anti christian movement is about to blow up in their faces.
I'm not saying whether its good or bad. I'm saying its going to happen.
The pendulum is about to start swinging back in the other direction.
I for one don't want to be around when things come full circle.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
REALITY CHECK!

I don't think that will happen for a bunch of reasons that don't matter because we won't know who's right until ___ ? Until it happens you'll be able to say there hasn't yet been enough poking. If it does happen, you'll be right and I'll be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality