Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
I agree and in that case, religions should not try to shove 3000 year old laws from barbaric times down our throats today the way that they do.

Regards
DL

Well - to be more accurate - not ALL religions do such a thing. Please don't confuse the radical fundamentalists with the normal religious groups that are out there, are very familiar with the problem of applying innapropriate maxims to modern peoples and are also very actively engaged in Biblical scholarship, archaeology, and an evolution of Theology to try to fit in with what we have learned about the world.

Unfortunately - radical, orthodox fundamentalists give their better-informed relatives a bad, bad name. Luckily - they have been excluded from modern theological dialogue completely, but they are also the groups most likely to come in contact with the average person, and affect their life in negative ways. The other groups just want to keep on truckin', without forcing everyone else to convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:21 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Well - to be more accurate - not ALL religions do such a thing. Please don't confuse the radical fundamentalists with the normal religious groups that are out there, are very familiar with the problem of applying innapropriate maxims to modern peoples and are also very actively engaged in Biblical scholarship, archaeology, and an evolution of Theology to try to fit in with what we have learned about the world.

Unfortunately - radical, orthodox fundamentalists give their better-informed relatives a bad, bad name. Luckily - they have been excluded from modern theological dialogue completely, but they are also the groups most likely to come in contact with the average person, and affect their life in negative ways. The other groups just want to keep on truckin', without forcing everyone else to convert.
I agree that most beliefs and believers are benign.
In fact, if push comes to shove, most believers do not really believe but just follow customs.

You are right as to who the fools are but is any organization worthy if they continue to produce fools?

Is Islam a good system if their claim to fame are suicide bombers?
Is the Christian system good if it promotes death to Gays?
I say no to both of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related

We tend to blame literalist fundamentals but all believers of a real Jesus must read some of their bibles literally and are part of the problem.

Regards
DL

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
I agree and in that case, religions should not try to shove 3000 year old laws from barbaric times down our throats today the way that they do.

Regards
DL
The only "laws" Christianity teaches is Love God & love others.

Quote:
So the same God who used genocide to depopulate the world, reformed to where he would not even stone a prostitute and to a sacrificial ransom to himself. How nice. Retarded but nice.

Thanks for mouthing your dogma.
Follow your genocidal God. It shows how well your faith has guided your morals. Lack of that is.

Regards
DL
What is the reason God gives for allowing all but eight people to die?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The only "laws" Christianity teaches is Love God & love others.
Did you miss post 12?

Do you love Gays enough to give them what they deserve?
Full and equal rights.

Quote:
What is the reason God gives for allowing all but eight people to die?
Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

God can kill or cure just as easily.
He chose the moral low ground. Lower than Satan.

Regards
DL

Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Do not do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

God can kill or cure just as easily.
He chose the moral low ground. Lower than Satan.

Regards
DL
The "cure" was available (See Noah). It was ignored.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I agree that most beliefs and believers are benign.
In fact, if push comes to shove, most believers do not really believe but just follow customs.

You are right as to who the fools are but is any organization worthy if they continue to produce fools?

Is Islam a good system if their claim to fame are suicide bombers?
Is the Christian system good if it promotes death to Gays?
I say no to both of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Zg_BVzw&feature=related

We tend to blame literalist fundamentals but all believers of a real Jesus must read some of their bibles literally and are part of the problem.

Regards
DL

Well - there's the rub: there is no universal Christian organization pumping out all the various denominations and sects and cults. There's no law against an individual splintering off from his main group, and creating another group with more extremist ideas, literalist interpretations, etc - it's been happening for thousands of years in every branch of religion.

Would you blame a knitting club, if one of the knitters had a nervous breakdown and started their own version of a knitting club - except with using those needles to kill, instead of knit? I certainly wouldn't. Likewise, it's a bit far-fetched to apply generalizations to all christians, or jew, or muslims - because of the most vocal, outspoken splinter groups.

Look at this forum - there's some pretty crazy threads going on. And I mean CRAZY.... If we applied those same principles you are using, then by extension everyone here is responsible for those crazy people and their crazy threads, right?

I don't know - don't blame the book, blame the reader?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The "cure" was available (See Noah). It was ignored.
Yes. Innocent children and babies tend to ignore adults because they are not bright enough to know right from wrong.
Drown them regardless. Who cares. Not your God.

Woe to those like you who call evil good.

Regards
DL

Old 10-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Well - there's the rub: there is no universal Christian organization pumping out all the various denominations and sects and cults. There's no law against an individual splintering off from his main group, and creating another group with more extremist ideas, literalist interpretations, etc - it's been happening for thousands of years in every branch of religion.

Would you blame a knitting club, if one of the knitters had a nervous breakdown and started their own version of a knitting club - except with using those needles to kill, instead of knit? I certainly wouldn't. Likewise, it's a bit far-fetched to apply generalizations to all christians, or jew, or muslims - because of the most vocal, outspoken splinter groups.

Look at this forum - there's some pretty crazy threads going on. And I mean CRAZY.... If we applied those same principles you are using, then by extension everyone here is responsible for those crazy people and their crazy threads, right?

I don't know - don't blame the book, blame the reader?
Interesting that you would not care if someone murdered others in their knitting bees. Good moral position that . Not.

As to blaming. The religion and Bible are the ones causing the problem.

Keep following your tradition but do recognize how immoral it is making you think.

I like what you said about crazy posts.

Here is a good example.

"Would you blame a knitting club, if one of the knitters had a nervous breakdown and started their own version of a knitting club - except with using those needles to kill, instead of knit? I certainly wouldn't."

Absolutely if the breakdown was part of their process just as hating is a process of religion.

They are all divisive. Us and them.

Regards
DL

Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you would not care if someone murdered others in their knitting bees. Good moral position that . Not.

As to blaming. The religion and Bible are the ones causing the problem.

Keep following your tradition but do recognize how immoral it is making you think.

I like what you said about crazy posts.

Here is a good example.

"Would you blame a knitting club, if one of the knitters had a nervous breakdown and started their own version of a knitting club - except with using those needles to kill, instead of knit? I certainly wouldn't."

Absolutely if the breakdown was part of their process just as hating is a process of religion.

They are all divisive. Us and them.

Regards
DL
Just because I don't state a moral position, doesn't mean I don't have one: the point was, "don't blame the knitting club" - I wasn't making the obvious point that the "killer knitter" was wrong - that can be inferred pretty easily.

What tradition are you referring to, by the way, that is 'mine'? Since my post went right over your head, I would be interested in what else you can assume about me.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Just because I don't state a moral position, doesn't mean I don't have one: the point was, "don't blame the knitting club" - I wasn't making the obvious point that the "killer knitter" was wrong - that can be inferred pretty easily.

What tradition are you referring to, by the way, that is 'mine'? Since my post went right over your head, I would be interested in what else you can assume about me.

Richard Dawkins: If Science Worked Like Religion - YouTube

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality