Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,232,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You completely miss the point, but then, you didn't want to understand it or the Bible in the first place.
Oh, no I understand perfectly. Torture, murder, rape and slavery are never justifiable, unless Yahweh benefits from it.

In International Law/Relations we have something called jus cogens and peremptory norms.

Some things are never justifiable (with "never" meaning "at no time ever" for those who are confused about what "never" means).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
2 If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing.
3 If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him.

Here God is saying that servitude can not break up the family.

Exodus 21:4 "If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

This again was for the purpose of protection for family members if there was no competent provider for his wife/children.
That is not correct. I notice you rather cleverly omitted this part:

Exodus 21:5 But if the servant should declare, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ 21:6 then his master must bring him to the judges, and he will bring him to the door or the doorposts, and his master will pierce his ear with an awl, and he shall serve him forever.

Quote:
This isn't slavery as we understand where the slave has no rights and is a slave for the rest of his life, etc etc.
Yes, it is slavery.

For your information, what is at issue here is that the slave would not have the right or the means to acquire a wife. The idea of the master “giving” him a wife is clear – the master would have to pay the bride price, or did you forget that women were bought and sold like animals?

Anyway, the wife and the children are actually the possession of the master unless the slave were to pay the bride price – - but then he is a slave, probably because he got into debt (oh, how christian) and cannot afford to reimburse his master for the bride price. Here, the law makes an assumption that the master is better able to provide for the wife than the freed slave (and keeping the children with the mother was important.

You might want to read some of these works so that you understand slavery in Hebrew times:

H. L. Elleson, “The Hebrew Slave: A Study in Early Israelite Society,”
Evangelical Quarterly 45 (1973): 30-35

N. P. Lemche, “The Manumission of Slaves – The Fallow Year – The Sabbatical Year – The Jobel Year,”Vetus Testamentum 26 (1976): 38-59

“The ‘Hebrew Slave,’ Comments on the Slave Law – Ex. 21:2-11,”
Vetus Testamentum 25 (1975): 129-44 (also by Lemche).

Quote:
Also think of this with the idea of being a slave/servant: aren't we a slave/servant of Christ?
No, never. I don't do slavery, and certainly not to some pathetic god-thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality