Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I have to say, I'm totally impressed! I like to imagine that if I was ever in a life threatening situation that I would rise to the challenge, find my strength and courage, and come out on top. However, I have a feeling that I would probably pee my pants and faint...
12 gauge combat shotguns with laser sight, AR15 style pistol grip stock, eight round magazine and loaded with 00 buckshot make an excellent equalizer. Mine's on a bed rack right beside me should the need ever arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I have to say, I'm totally impressed! I like to imagine that if I was ever in a life threatening situation that I would rise to the challenge, find my strength and courage, and come out on top. However, I have a feeling that I would probably pee my pants and faint...
One of the strangest things about confrontations is the possibility that your legs will start trembling and turn to jelly. I've experienced this on several occasions, and then had it not happen on others - and like Raison, I've been trained in martial arts. I'm sure there's some physical reason for that having to do with adrenaline (or the lack of?) that I haven't fathomed yet. It certainly is strange when it happens.

Besides that - Raison, how are you doing?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
One of the strangest things about confrontations is the possibility that your legs will start trembling and turn to jelly. I've experienced this on several occasions, and then had it not happen on others - and like Raison, I've been trained in martial arts. I'm sure there's some physical reason for that having to do with adrenaline (or the lack of?) that I haven't fathomed yet. It certainly is strange when it happens.

Besides that - Raison, how are you doing?
I'm doing better with the pain. Now I have a cold, that sucks. I am avoiding pain meds as much as possible, but sometimes my hand hurts too much to ignore.

I don't know if my training has anything to do with it or not. I wasn't thinking of myself. I was thinking about my fiance. The thought of death didn't even come to mind, no real thoughts came to mind, just action. It wasn't until afterwards, my mind started to process rational thoughts. My first thought after I had him knocked out was, "I should have grabbed my bat or knife. What was I thinking?" Then I realized a day later, I wasn't thinking. I was reacting. Sometimes, that is all you can do, react. I play it over in my head all day long, thinking of ways it could have ended differently.

Some interesting info: My fiances stalker(intruder, scumbag, or insert feminine hygiene product), thought she was in danger. He thought I was going to hurt her. He was there to "save her". Sadly, I am afraid he will get an insanity plea and not get a full sentence. Hopefully a judge will see through the bull, look at the stalking evidence we saved, and convict him of his actual crimes. I don't have much confidence in the legal system, if he gets a insanity deal or worse, not charged with anything, I am afraid I will have to do this again. If there is a next time, he wont go to a hospital...

Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
I'm doing better with the pain. Now I have a cold, that sucks. I am avoiding pain meds as much as possible, but sometimes my hand hurts too much to ignore.

I don't know if my training has anything to do with it or not. I wasn't thinking of myself. I was thinking about my fiance. The thought of death didn't even come to mind, no real thoughts came to mind, just action. It wasn't until afterwards, my mind started to process rational thoughts. My first thought after I had him knocked out was, "I should have grabbed my bat or knife. What was I thinking?" Then I realized a day later, I wasn't thinking. I was reacting. Sometimes, that is all you can do, react. I play it over in my head all day long, thinking of ways it could have ended differently.

Some interesting info: My fiances stalker(intruder, scumbag, or insert feminine hygiene product), thought she was in danger. He thought I was going to hurt her. He was there to "save her". Sadly, I am afraid he will get an insanity plea and not get a full sentence. Hopefully a judge will see through the bull, look at the stalking evidence we saved, and convict him of his actual crimes. I don't have much confidence in the legal system, if he gets a insanity deal or worse, not charged with anything, I am afraid I will have to do this again. If there is a next time, he wont go to a hospital...

If nothing else, this episode should be MORE than enough justification for a PPO against this dick...

Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post

My teachers used to stress this reaction-aspect in relation to thoses arts that required elaborate stances and tensed muscles. They insisted that everything learned should be internalized until no thought is needed, and the instant-reaction aspect was not a problem then; no preplanning of moves, just rection. This is why i don't spar in friendly matches - too much dangerous internalizing in there.

Its good that your instant-reaction kicked in! We dont alwys hve time or the opportunity to grab a tool to use. Good job!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,895,483 times
I am glad you are home from the hospital and healing, and that the intruder will be headed to jail.

Hey, when you feel up to it, check out my thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-religion.html

Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
I hope the intruder is headed to jail. Glad to hear you are recovering, raison. I have a similar rotten cold and have had shingles for over four months.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
My teachers used to stress this reaction-aspect in relation to thoses arts that required elaborate stances and tensed muscles. They insisted that everything learned should be internalized until no thought is needed, and the instant-reaction aspect was not a problem then; no preplanning of moves, just rection. This is why i don't spar in friendly matches - too much dangerous internalizing in there.

Its good that your instant-reaction kicked in! We dont alwys hve time or the opportunity to grab a tool to use. Good job!
I have tried to explain this aspect of rigorous martial arts training and practice without success. My black belt is more of a handicap in virtually all typical situations. Absent the presence of deadly force . . . I am powerless . . . because my reactions would be automatically deadly. There is none of this "choreographed kicky-foot dragged out fighting" seen in the movies. With my combat-honed training . . . death would occur within seconds for one or the other of us. I am sorry you and your fiance' have such an adversary to worry about. You are fortunate not to have taken his life, though. Things get really ugly and sticky when that happens.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have tried to explain this aspect of rigorous martial arts training and practice without success. My black belt is more of a handicap in virtually all typical situations. Absent the presence of deadly force . . . I am powerless . . . because my reactions would be automatically deadly. There is none of this "choreographed kicky-foot dragged out fighting" seen in the movies. With my combat-honed training . . . death would occur within seconds for one or the other of us. I am sorry you and your fiance' have such an adversary to worry about. You are fortunate not to have taken his life, though. Things get really ugly and sticky when that happens.
That depends, in large part, to the laws of the particular state you live in.

In NC, raison would have been fine if he'd killed the guy. He broke into raison's home, he had a knife, all raison would have needed to remember to say was "I was afraid for my life...".

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That depends, in large part, to the laws of the particular state you live in.

In NC, raison would have been fine if he'd killed the guy. He broke into raison's home, he had a knife, all raison would have needed to remember to say was "I was afraid for my life...".

In my brief training with the SWAT team, I was taught that if a deadly weapon is involved, knife, gun, tools, or even martial arts training, you are stupid not to use deadly force, the other person usually is. If death occurs, that is not on the victim, but the suspect. A few of the places I impacted could cause permanent damage or death. I most likely did cause him permanent damage to the jaw and collar bone. He will have a constant reminder of his error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality