Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,356,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That this does not bother you or seem the slightest bit ridiculous in this day and age boggles my mind, Wood. Do you check your intellect and knowledge at the door of these cities?
Here is my problem with this statement. You assume, wrongly I might add, that EVERY nation is as developed as American, Europe, and other major developed country. This just isn't how it is. All countries develop at various rates. Now, sometimes the developed countries influence bits and pieces of it culture. Not only that, but to expect every nation to adopt another nations ideals is wrong.

Look at the way they have developed in the past 20 years. Look at how America has adapted in the past 20 years. Imagine if you brought a nuke to the middle ages and taught them how to make them. Do you have any idea the kind of things that would happen? Chaos. The balance of power would shift, and most likely we would not be here today. Sure, some people might adapt to the technological advance. Most would not, they would shun it, and cast it out.

You have to look at it like it is. They are not as advanced in most of their culture. Give it time, don't expect grand leaps in change. Change SHOULD happen slowly in this case. Look into every era that had great leaps in technology, odd how most often war is also going on in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,129,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Any one going into them has no intention of violating any of the rules. It is not like people go on Hajj to live there. Many Muslims such as myself will never get to go on Hajj and those who do will most likely go once in their life time. It is fairly easy to live by rules that you will come in contact with for only 3-11 days of your life.

I did go to Mecca once, illegally before I accepted Islam. I was not aware Non-Muslims were forbidden there and at the time My Arabic was too poor to read the signs. It was during hajj and the city was virtually empty.

OOOPs just noticed something and it is too late to edit the the last sentence should have been:

It was NOT during hajj and the city was virtually empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality