Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
My Jewish friends seem very assimilated, quite prosperous, and, at least to me, very Jewish.
I'm guessing that your definition of "very Jewish" and the Jewish community's definition of "very Jewish" are not in the same ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
That's good. The dominant culture in this country is my European-American culture, and it is easier to prosper if you join us, as many of our Asian immigrants are doing.

In fact, we are just beginning to work with an attorney who appears to be Indian (from Asia).

The Lakotah can do this and still keep their culture alive. Ask the Jews for advice.
You should say (as long as you speak English)
there are lots of European culture here in America that have been plowed under or have almost been plowed under.
In PA in the 1800's it was common to hear a German dialect spoken. By the 1900's the PA Dutch were being forced into speaking English. My dad and his siblings were not allowed to speak PA Dutch in school and were also discouraged from speaking it with each other at home by the school.
So my family has lost part of our heritage

Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
You should say (as long as you speak English)
You are absolutely right, Faerye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
there are lots of European culture here in America that have been plowed under or have almost been plowed under.
Yeah, that what happens when you come to a new country. It also happened to my great-grandparents who came from Gemany.

My wife's great-grandfather came here in 1905 from Austria-Hungary, and his grand-children were called 'dirty Polaks' when they were walking to school. A few years later, on Dec 7, 1941, one of those grand-children was serving on the battleship Pennsylvania in Pearl harbor when the Japanese attacked, and he braved the bombs to rescue many wounded sailors. He was a very proud American, and was buried a few weeks ago with full military honors.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Something we Muslims living in the US often face is the assumption that because we are Muslim we were not born here and do not speak English. It is an assumption that American Muslims are recent immigrants usually from the sand dunes and we all speak Arabic as our native language.

Most USA Muslims have family trees that go back many generations in the Americas, some even to the Colonial era and even back to the early explorers. Oddly the majority of Arabs in the USA are Christians and not Muslim. Arab-American Muslims are about 25% of USA Muslims.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
My wife's great-grandfather came here in 1905 from Austria-Hungary, and his grand-children were called 'dirty Polaks' when they were walking to school. A few years later, on Dec 7, 1941, one of those grand-children was serving on the battleship Pennsylvania in Pearl harbor when the Japanese attacked, and he braved the bombs to rescue many wounded sailors. He was a very proud American, and was buried a few weeks ago with full military honors.
Thank you for sharing that wonderful story!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right, Faerye.

Yeah, that what happens when you come to a new country. It also happened to my great-grandparents who came from Gemany.

My dad served in WW2 as a gunner's mate. he had some troubles at first on his ship, being blond and blue- eyed and speaking with an accent, caused a bit of tension, but eventually he was trusted and served 4 years. his brothers served in different branches as well. My Uncle Paul was a medic who was wounded in Normandy and died from it a few weeks later. he's buried in Margraten Netherlands

Thing is, many of the PA Dutch have been here from the early 1700's, and were also bi-lingual. But I guess TPTB were afraid of people who could speak a German dialect during the World Wars.
Shame, cos PA Dutch is actually distinctive from regular German...many preserved words from centuries ago, as well as ones that had morphed. I'd love to learn it but I think the only place to go and learn are York and Lancaster, and then who would I use it with, except a few startled Amish and Old order Mennonites? lol
My oldest is taking German in school, and loves it, comes naturally to him, but the two are too divergent for easy conversation.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
By the way, your ancestors did not come to this country legally, my ancestors didn't give them permission to enter this country, they invaded our homeland and yes, they did bring the diseases but that too was part of their plan to invade and illegally occupy land that did not belong to them.
I totally agree with you, Ptsum. According to Native American laws, my ancestors were illegal immigrants.

My guess is my ancestors had no respect for NA laws, and the NAs did not have the will or the power to enforce those laws. So my ancestors came in, and lots of others came in with them.

That's why I strongly believe we need to enforce the immigration laws our Congress has passed. I'm glad Obama is doing a better job of that than Bush did.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
I'm glad Obama is doing a better job of that than Bush did.
More smoke and mirrors than actually doing something as this would prevent lots more Democrat voters.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
" Oddly the majority of Arabs in the USA are Christians and not Muslim. Arab-American Muslims are about 25% of USA Muslims.

thats because a lot of them sought refuge in the US after being persecuted in their own homelands by Muslims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality