Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
You're begging the question. You have no reason to believe the "right ingredients" will ever be "figured out". You are assuming they will be, without any reason to believe it. Or if there is anything more to life than "chemicals".
We will get to it (life being a result of a chemical reaction), just as soon as you provide us with a glimpse of your idea of "critical thinking" by answering this, very simple, question:

Could you provide a better explanation (of what is life), with "critical thinking" as its signature?

About time you delivered a glimpse of that "critical thinking" you maintain but find lacking in others who you pointed fingers at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I have asked the most basic question and it has not been answered. Where did life begin?

I have debated atheists, I have watched debates, and I have read Dawkins, Hitchens, etc. Honestly...if there is an atheist that can demonstrate simple critical thinking skills and provide me with a sound answer to the most basic questions, I'd love to see him/her. I could lead you through any of a number of proofs for the existence of God and I have yet to see anyone on this board capable of giving me a sound rebuttal for the Cosmological argument, much less the simple question of the origin of life.

Heck..you can't even tell me where absolute morality comes from.
Just reading this post tells me that you have very little idea of what critical thinking really is...What you demonstrate is biased black and white thinking.

Critical Thinking - YouTube

Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You keep changing the subject to avoid dealing with the direct issues. Who cares where life began? Nobody, atheist or otherwise, is obligated to provide you with the answers to life's most perplexing questions. So, you introduce some more questions that you seem to think are necessary for high level thinking. You're avoiding the issues and changing the subject again. What I think this has lead to is the avoidance of your questions be the (very) intelligent people here because you won't accept a logical response, but will change the subject again. Now you've added the Cosmological argument to the mix, as well as deciding that you can prove the existence of God, something which nobody else here has been able to do. If you can lead us through any number of these proofs, surely there will be at least two or three people on here that will agree with you.
The last time he got a logical spanking on the cosmological argument he logged off for a month, and then came back with this new username.

Unfortunately he isn't very good at altering his...um...."style" of argument.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,025,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
We will get to it (life being a result of a chemical reaction), just as soon as you provide us with a glimpse of your idea of "critical thinking" by answering this, very simple, question:

Could you provide a better explanation (of what is life), with "critical thinking" as its signature?

About time you delivered a glimpse of that "critical thinking" you maintain but find lacking in others who you pointed fingers at.
I'm willing to go with the dictionary definition:

the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
The last time he got a logical spanking on the cosmological argument he logged off for a month, and then came back with this new username.

Unfortunately he isn't very good at altering his...um...."style" of argument.
who is "he"?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I'm willing to go with the dictionary definition:

the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
I was hoping for an illustration of critical thinking. What I ended up seeing from you is something even my computer could do... highlight text, right click, search the internet.

Besides, you picked up a definition, possibly verbatim, that describes effect, not the cause itself. That life is nothing more than a "condition".

Really?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
who is "he"?
It's hard to believe that with 3 degrees you couldn't figure out he was talking about you.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It's hard to believe that with 3 degrees you couldn't figure out he was talking about you.
It sounds like he's accusing me of being someone else. I am not impressed with it. But I guess it's par for the course if he doesn't have a decent argument...might as well try to distract....

Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM

TheoGeek, the least you could do is explain what you mean by "Critical Thinking", complete with an example or two?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
TheoGeek, the least you could do is explain what you mean by "Critical Thinking", complete with an example or two?
I'm talking about the ability to think rationally and open-minded. An example would be about a discussion on origins. Most atheists I've met are not willing to actually consider where life begins--but instead only accept what they've been told regarding abiogenesis. I am suggesting you look at the evidence that exists, with an open mind. We've never seen life come from non-life. How would one possibly conclude that it could?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality