Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:46 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

I'm not and regard such as equivalent to doctorates and Phds in astrology and alchemy. Same goes for 'biblical scholars'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 04:09 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
No, Seminary and theology doctorates doesn't make one much more qualified to say what's in the Bible than anyone else. There are plenty of ministers and priests with Ph.D.s from Harvard Divinity who teach tons of inaccurate, hateful, and self-righteous things based on their own opinions.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Mostly Not. I knew a few Georgetown educated Jesuits whose knowledge of philosphy, history humanites was most thorough and admirable. They were intellectuals, and persued theology more as a mystical art as opposed to doctrinal memorization

Mostly, the majority of post grad seminary/theology grads are of the IQ that would not have gotten them any graduate degree elsewhere. Their "graduate training" Equates to memorizing the Bible and a first year understanding of hebrew or Greek. These individuals lack, for the most part, a true insight to any history or origins of Christianity outside of the Bible, and their employment will be limited for the most part to curches within their respecive denomination or movement.
A select few of these are amongst the most intellegent humans I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.
------------------------------------------------
NOTE
AGAIN I said MOST but not all. There are people around like <Mystic Phd> who hold a mensa card and a thorough education as well. These are not usually employed by the local Christian church or over at Riverside Baptist. .

Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
I have absolutely no respect for the religious degree itself. However, I may well respect the individual for reasons other than the degree. Holding a theological degree certainly doesn't disqualify someone from being intelligent, interesting, compassionate, funny, etc.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:47 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
If a person impresses me their academic credentials are secondary. Sort of icing on the cake but not the reason I am impressed by them.

Some of the best theologians I have come across had no Academic Credentials and some people I know with high Academic Achievement in Divinity were imbeciles.

So if I come a cross a person I already have high regards for, I am properly impressed by their Religious Degrees if they have such.. Oddly that includes an Atheist I know who holds a Ph.D in Theology. One of the most learned people in Religious History I have ever met.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
I think it is good to have a wide knowledge of various religions so that we can better understand the world. I've always seen ignorance as a negative thing other than that it can bring about a certain amount of "bliss".

Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If a person impresses me their academic credentials are secondary. Sort of icing on the cake but not the reason I am impressed by them.

Some of the best theologians I have come across had no Academic Credentials and some people I know with high Academic Achievement in Divinity were imbeciles.

So if I come a cross a person I already have high regards for, I am properly impressed by their Religious Degrees if they have such.. Oddly that includes an Atheist I know who holds a Ph.D in Theology. One of the most learned people in Religious History I have ever met.

I know it feels lousy, not defending them, with all the modern paganism in the World constantly coming together. It used to be said: "never underestimate the ignorance of the common constituent public." May apply more disturbingly to religion as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:19 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Mostly, the majority of post grad seminary/theology grads are of the IQ that would not have gotten them any graduate degree elsewhere. Their "graduate training" Equates to memorizing the Bible and a first year understanding of hebrew or Greek. These individuals lack, for the most part, a true insight to any history or origins of Christianity outside of the Bible, and their employment will be limited for the most part to curches within their respecive denomination or movement.
So where do I fit in?

M.Div. from a top notch Theology School (accredited)
M.B.A.
M.A. in Social Policy from an Ivy League (minor in stats)
M.A. in Sociology
B.A. in Sociology/Psychology

My IQ is mensa, I have successfully run 2 companies prior to entering ministry and when working for others worked my way up to VP of a management consulting company.

Am I one who only has the capability of memorizing things?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
What does it matter if it impresses you or not? I doubt many who get those types of degrees are in it to impress.

Which by itself is impressive.

I don't understand people anymore.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
I am not impressed by religious degrees because the student begins on the level of accepting as truth (without reason or evidence) whatever that religion teaches. Then studies that religion with faith.
Philosophy does not begin by accepting an idea without reason or logic. In philosophy all questions are valid. Faith alone is not enough for philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality