Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about their religion, but, being a vegetarian for the last 40 years I have eaten a lot of their food.

Before Vegetarianism became trendy, Loma Linda was one of the few companies that produced vegetarian prepared or canned food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't know anything about their religion, but, being a vegetarian for the last 40 years I have eaten a lot of their food.

Before Vegetarianism became trendy, Loma Linda was one of the few companies that produced vegetarian prepared or canned food.
You know whats funny about that food you speak about? Adventism goes on about their health message on so many levels. That food you speak about is LOADED with MSG and petroluem based dyes that are not good for you at all.

I am not nor have I ever been a vegetarian but I used to enjoy those vegetarian foods from time to time. Now that I am older and learning more about the bad things that are in our foods, I am finding that even in foods labeled health foods, you can find things that are BAD for you.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times
There Are Wonderful Christians In The Adventist Church,. I Was There For A Long Time. They Have A Health Message Which Focuses On.vegetarianism.they Don't Forbid It But Don't Advise Eating Meat(from Old Testament). They Forbid Alcohol, Smoking And Shun Wearing Of Jewlery (sometimes Make-up). My Problem Was And Is They Continually Refer To Their Founder, (and Considered Their Prophet)ellen G. White. She Wrote Many Books And Many Sabbath Days Are Focused On Her. I Eventually Had To Leave Because I Could Not Spend The Sabbath(or Any Other Day) Glorifying Mrs White! What They Profess And What They Are, Are Different.the Sabbath Is Not Like Sunday Church,the Only Sheep That Can Acceptably Work On Saturday Are In The Medical Field(healing On The Sabbath).they Have Many Nurses,md's,etc In The Church. They Have Extended That To Helping ,emergency Related Professions, In Some Churchs. But, If You're A Cashier,that Would Be Totally Unacceptable. One Should Not Spend Money Or Go Out To Eat,etc.they Do Not Believe A Lot Of Things Main Line Churchs Do . They Preach Much On The Evil Catholic Church. Many Converts Are Former Catholics.when You Have A Lot Of Laws/rules, There Will Much Hypocrisy...

Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 PM

194 posts, read 1,028,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
One of my former pastors said that in his opinion, SDA's had some doctrines that( in his opinion) were unscriptural, but that they were NOT a cult. From what I have heard about SDA's, I would tend to concur with his assessment.
Can you give examples please

Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Shun Wearing Of Jewlery (sometimes Make-up).
I'm wearing jewlery and make-up. Actually I never go to church without make-up . Even the Elders and my pastors wife wear make-up.

Quote:
She Wrote Many Books And Many Sabbath Days Are Focused On Her. I Eventually Had To Leave Because I Could Not Spend The Sabbath(or Any Other Day) Glorifying Mrs White!
I haven't read all of Mrs Whites books, but what I can say sofar is that what I read was scripture based, and I don't see anything wrong with it. In Sabbath School we use the Bible as our guide and none of her books. Hmmm?! I guess it's one of those things that depends on the church.

As far as Sabbath.....yes you are right. The Bible tells us what we can do on this blessed day and this is what we do. I sure can't speak for all Adventists but I can speak for myself and for my family.

Quote:
when You Have A Lot Of Laws/rules, There Will Much Hypocrisy...
You can and will find hypocritical church members in every domination. This is just how things are. But instead of judging them, we should leave it to the Lord and let Him handle the bussiness, don't you think? I personally don't see those things as rules, but as something that God commanded me to do and I love to obey Him (not that I'm perfect )

Old 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM

336 posts, read 844,668 times
Exclamation Who Are You To Judge Another Man's Servant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
I'm wearing jewlery and make-up. Actually I never go to church without make-up . Even the Elders and my pastors wife wear make-up.

I haven't read all of Mrs Whites books, but what I can say sofar is that what I read was scripture based, and I don't see anything wrong with it. In Sabbath School we use the Bible as our guide and none of her books. Hmmm?! I guess it's one of those things that depends on the church.

As far as Sabbath.....yes you are right. The Bible tells us what we can do on this blessed day and this is what we do. I sure can't speak for all Adventists but I can speak for myself and for my family.

You can and will find hypocritical church members in every domination. This is just how things are. But instead of judging them, we should leave it to the Lord and let Him handle the bussiness, don't you think? I personally don't see those things as rules, but as something that God commanded me to do and I love to obey Him (not that I'm perfect )
IM GLAD YOU ARE HAPPY IN OUR CHURCH. HOWEVER ,YOU MUST BE IN AN ADVENTIST CHURCH THAT IS ENLIGHTENED. EVERYTHING I WROTE, I STAND BY. I WAS A TEACHER.THE CHURCH WAS TRADITIONAL,MEANING IT WAS CONSERVATIVE TO ALL TEACHINGS AND CUSTOMS. I WON'T ARGUE THAT IT HAS GOOD BIBLICAL TEACHINGS ,BUT IT HAS MUCH LEGALISM. ( I DON'T LIKE THE ENTIRE ELLEN G. WHITE PROPHET TEACHING AND DO NOT BELIEVE A CHURCH SHOULD BE BASED ON ANY ONE PERSON-EXCEPT FOR HIM.) I TOLD IT,AS I LIVED IT ,IN MY HOME CHURCH.I TOO WANT TO OBEY GOD AND THAT'S WHY I WAS ATTRACTED TO THE CHURCH .

Last edited by JANA MANIA; 12-17-2007 at 05:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
There Are Wonderful Christians In The Adventist Church,. I Was There For A Long Time. They Have A Health Message Which Focuses On.vegetarianism.they Don't Forbid It But Don't Advise Eating Meat(from Old Testament). They Forbid Alcohol, Smoking And Shun Wearing Of Jewlery (sometimes Make-up). My Problem Was And Is They Continually Refer To Their Founder, (and Considered Their Prophet)ellen G. White. She Wrote Many Books And Many Sabbath Days Are Focused On Her. I Eventually Had To Leave Because I Could Not Spend The Sabbath(or Any Other Day) Glorifying Mrs White! What They Profess And What They Are, Are Different.the Sabbath Is Not Like Sunday Church,the Only Sheep That Can Acceptably Work On Saturday Are In The Medical Field(healing On The Sabbath).they Have Many Nurses,md's,etc In The Church. They Have Extended That To Helping ,emergency Related Professions, In Some Churchs. But, If You're A Cashier,that Would Be Totally Unacceptable. One Should Not Spend Money Or Go Out To Eat,etc.they Do Not Believe A Lot Of Things Main Line Churchs Do . They Preach Much On The Evil Catholic Church. Many Converts Are Former Catholics.when You Have A Lot Of Laws/rules, There Will Much Hypocrisy...
That whole mess with Ellen White, I have thought for some time that when she was hit with that rock as a young girl she might have been brain injured.

Well I read where some medical people have gone over all the information and their feeling is that she suffered from frontal lobe epilepsy. She fits it too a T. I always thought that whole mess was crazy and that a bunch of people were following someone who was not sane.

Question what you are told, look up the symptoms of frontal lobe epilepsy for yourself and compare them to her transformation from a normal person to someone who had visions of heaven and god. The historical accounts say that when she was hit in the face with the rock, her Father was away, he returned afterward and found her appearance so transformed that he didn't recognize his own child.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon...donbrain.shtml

I found this link where they discuss Ellen White.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 95,494 times
My in-laws are SDA and live in Loma Linda. They do not like to associate with anyone that is not SDA. My husband is no longer an SDA. When we were first married his mom sent me a video without stating who it came from. I did watch the video. It stated that SDA members were "smarter" then any other religion since they go to church on the true sabbath, everyone else was devil whorshipping. I think they do believe this since they treat their non-SDA kids quite different than the ones who are. My heart really breaks for my husband at the family gatherings, so much so that I do not like to go. The SDA grandkids pointed to the turkey this year and said it was devil food. I do not feel welcome in their house. I've been to may other relgious households-Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Jewish etc. and have never been treated like that.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM

Are you talking about "The Spirit Behind The Church"? I've never seen a more disturbing video. How can a pastor of a church not know, what the church he used to be a member of, believe.

I'm still SDA and I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality