Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Here's a friendly tip that will make you seem more educated and intelligent.

The word "atheist" is a singular noun. It refers to one atheist.

If you are talking about more than one atheist you should use the plural form of the noun, "atheists". Thus, the correct title for your thread would have been "What would a world entirely populated by atheists be like?"

Also, there is no need to capitalize "atheist". Atheism is not a religion, so the word isn't treated the way "Christian", "Muslim", "Jew", or "Mormon" are treated.

I think I subconsciously capitalize the term out of respect, but the point is well noted.

What would a world populated bt atheists be like? One of my curiositys, as I have mentioned, would be war. Although many have accused religion as being a catalyst for war, and some of that has been true in history, conversely it has also been a catalyst for peace as well; and thus in many situations a deterant to war. I have conceeded that an atheist society would most defintely be far more scientific, and thus we can saftely assume that the development of space programs would increase, as would the development of advanced scientific weapondry. Now if we combine these two programs, the resulting weapons technology would be frightening. The whole scope of war could change and new scientific developed weapons could kill in manners that are simply mindboggeling! We could enter into an era of destruction far more lethal than we already are.

Secondly, I have a point to make concerning a " Religious State." The best example of a religious state that exist now is the " Vatican." A small country ruled by religion. To my knowledge, they have not been at war with anyone in this century. They have not attacked another country, no country has attacked them. I would even speculate that if any country did attack the Vatican militarily, the ensueing onlash of other countrys defending the Vatican would be a sight to behold. This is a positive for religion, the Vatican basically lives in peace with all world countrys.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
The first step would be to recognize all that is wrong on the earth that cannot be tied directly to a belief in a God. Then you will find that the world would be no different, you just wouldn't have religion to blame it on.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:07 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
The first step would be to recognize all that is wrong on the earth that cannot be tied directly to a belief in a God. Then you will find that the world would be no different, you just wouldn't have religion to blame it on.
I wanted to rep you, but couldn't.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Bonobos are very social, avoid aggression and violence and solve their conflicts with play and sex.
Wish I had married one.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM

To remove religion from society would have multiple consequences in various areas. Art would be changed significantly from such a subtraction, but it would certainly survive. Architexture would change but certainly survive. Music would drastically change, but certainly survive. Government would change but survive. Community programs would defintely change hurtfully, but defintely survive. Most senior citizen programs would suffer a change but defintely survive. Most hospice programs would severly suffer from a subtraction of religion, and may not survive. Many hospital services would have to change if ministry and chaplins are subtracted from their staff, they would suffer but still survive. The Red Cross would suffer significantly in certain areas but still survive.

If we subtract religion, which we must do to have an atheist society, it would defintely cause suffering in many areas, because religion works and serves humanity in many areas. The question then, could atheist fill every area of religious service and maintain the quality of service that religion has consistantly performed?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
To remove religion from society would have multiple consequences in various areas. Art would be changed significantly from such a subtraction, but it would certainly survive. Architexture would change but certainly survive. Music would drastically change, but certainly survive. Government would change but survive. Community programs would defintely change hurtfully, but defintely survive. Most senior citizen programs would suffer a change but defintely survive. Most hospice programs would severly suffer from a subtraction of religion, and may not survive. Many hospital services would have to change if ministry and chaplins are subtracted from their staff, they would suffer but still survive. The Red Cross would suffer significantly in certain areas but still survive.

If we subtract religion, which we must do to have an atheist society, it would defintely cause suffering in many areas, because religion works and serves humanity in many areas. The question then, could atheist fill every area of religious service and maintain the quality of service that religion has consistantly performed?
I disagree. An atheist society does not mean that anything having to do with religion is totally eradicated. (Unless that's what you meant by your first post). It just means that people don't personally believe in God or religion.

For example, in today's society, people no longer believe in ancient Greek or Roman gods. Yet, we certainly have many modern buildings with ancient Greek and Roman architecture and art. That's because we are free to keep what we like and leave what we don't care for.

Similarly, in an atheist society, all of the things you mentioned in your first paragraph would remain intact as they are now. In fact, they might even flourish. It's just that the RELIGIOUS aspect of those things would simply become an artifact.

Think about Christmas as it is today. How much of it is really religious anymore? All the celebrations are centered around Christmas trees, gift-giving, Santa Claus, reindeer, red and green. It has become mostly secularized. The same thing would happen to all religious things in an atheist society.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-30-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM

281 posts, read 256,233 times
Quote:
The question came to my mind during a conversation here on board. We were discussing if Atheism will ever be a majority, or even complettely wipe out religion from this planet. I mentioned that France may be close to a possible model , but I wonder what the ramifications of a totally Atheist society and state would be?

Would there be advantages and disadvantages, and what would those be? To even think of a society without religion , would be like a whole new kind of civilization for man, because religion has always been a major factor with humans, excluding primordal man. Is it even a valid real possibility, or is it just hopeful speculation?

For the world to be totally Atheist, the transformation required would indeed be the most dramatic historical change humanity has ever made. Almost cataclismic and stupendous, it would be nothing short of incredible! Atheism would have to do far more than what religion did , to complettely incert itself into the consciousness of all of humanity.

It surely would have to then remove religion totally from human consciousness, something I think is impossible; and yet, just to examine the senerio for what its worth, no one could deny that religion must first be removed from all peoples. The belief system of humanity as a whole, would have to be changed and belief in God or gods must be permenently excised.

Thats a very tall order ( one would then, at the least, should compliment religion for doing this already). I wonder if Atheism then would follow any example, conversely, that religion has already laied? You know, copy at least some of how religion did this incredible thing; the domination of human thought. What role would science then take on? A different role than it has now? Or would science even coperate? Would Atheism have its own inquisitions? And what would the risk factors be?

What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like?
Far MORE full of wisdom and truth, for LESS full of mythology and fable. Better off, IMHO.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Similarly, in an atheist society, all of the things you mentioned in your first paragraph would remain intact as they are now. In fact, they might even flourish. It's just that the RELIGIOUS aspect of those things would simply become an artifact.

Okay, then I think its fair to ask, what examples could we look at now where a group of atheists are actually doing anything I listed that religion is doing now!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Removing religion from the world wouldn't usher in world peace or anything like that, we'd all still find a reason to fight. Before the advent of monotheism religious wars were nearly unheard of, if we eradicated religion things would likely go back to how they were when polytheism dominated the world: good ol' fashioned wars over nothing but wealth, territory and power.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
The question came to my mind during a conversation here on board. We were discussing if Atheism will ever be a majority, or even complettely wipe out religion from this planet. I mentioned that France may be close to a possible model , but I wonder what the ramifications of a totally Atheist society and state would be?

Would there be advantages and disadvantages, and what would those be? To even think of a society without religion , would be like a whole new kind of civilization for man, because religion has always been a major factor with humans, excluding primordal man. Is it even a valid real possibility, or is it just hopeful speculation?

For the world to be totally Atheist, the transformation required would indeed be the most dramatic historical change humanity has ever made. Almost cataclismic and stupendous, it would be nothing short of incredible! Atheism would have to do far more than what religion did , to complettely incert itself into the consciousness of all of humanity.

It surely would have to then remove religion totally from human consciousness, something I think is impossible; and yet, just to examine the senerio for what its worth, no one could deny that religion must first be removed from all peoples. The belief system of humanity as a whole, would have to be changed and belief in God or gods must be permenently excised.

Thats a very tall order ( one would then, at the least, should compliment religion for doing this already). I wonder if Atheism then would follow any example, conversely, that religion has already laied? You know, copy at least some of how religion did this incredible thing; the domination of human thought. What role would science then take on? A different role than it has now? Or would science even coperate? Would Atheism have its own inquisitions? And what would the risk factors be?

What would a world entirely populated by Atheist be like?
First of all, I don't think France is even trying to erase religion. Secondly, your OP suggests that atheists want to eradicate religion. I don't think the majority of atheists care enough to come to a meeting to plan the overthrow of religion.

The second paragraph of your OP implies that the world would go from a place where religion exists to one where there is absolutely none. I think your post implies that such a change is extremely unlikely. I would also suggest that how or to what degree that would change society is unpredictable.

Thirdly, you said that "Atheism would have to do far more ..." and that is where I think your concept falls apart. Atheism isn't going to do anything. That would require an organization, which they don't have, and planning meetings, which they don't have, and cost money, which they don't have.

I don't see what Science has to do with whether society recognizes religion, but atheism still wouldn't be doing anything. They wouldn't be able to get enough people to care to call the meeting to order.

What purpose would be served by conducting inquisitions? Seems like that would use up a lot of potential beer drinking time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality