Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM

126 posts, read 81,101 times

Advertisements

And yet you accept the bible..lol.

Anyway using the NSF..they have this: nsf.gov - Discoveries - Video - Where is consciousness in the brain? - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

Which clearly says that consciousness comes from the brain, and not a spirit...but let me guess this still is not acceptable.

And they also have this article on Bonobos and their intelligence: nsf.gov - National Science Foundation (NSF) Discoveries - Humans Have a Lot to Learn From Bonobos, Scientists Say - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

Though I doubt you would accept that either since they clearly say we are related to them, even though you clearly said that is your criteria to accept it...it goes against your religious beliefs so its still meaningless.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
And I would accept a live conscious chimp; do you have evidence of that?
Yes it has already been presented in scientific journals, universities and government agencies..which you don't accept because the National Science Board didn't confirm it..which is not their job and they never do it as I showed you already with direct links to their website pages.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
What do you mean by "conscious"? My cat is quite conscious. He responds to all sorts of stimuli. Right now he's griping because I haven't fed him yet. You really don't think animals are conscious?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 PM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
When they report they have a conscious animal, I think that would be verifiable. This is one of my personal standards for accepting these things.
If you accept reports from them then you must believe in evolution, or do you always weed out what you do not want to know?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 AM

Anyway the main point here was about consciousness coming from a "spirit" and not our brain..if that is what you really believe...simply hit your head with a brick and see what happens. Or explain why after an accident many people wake up with a completely different personalities...did their original spirit leave and a new one entered? How about multiple identity disorder? Are there several spirits? Do they need to be exorcised?? I believe it is pretty clear today that all mental disorders are not caused by spirits..but problems with the brains (chemo-electrical imbalances)...your consciousness is entirely linked to your brain. It is entirely chemo-electrical and there is no evidence that it is not.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rationalism View Post
Simply just repeating this doesn't make it so...
You'll get used to it with Mickiel ...and eventually give up in despair like most that have tried to discuss anything with him.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If you accept reports from them then you must believe in evolution, or do you always weed out what you do not want to know?
Oh no he believes in evolution now, but thinks God "tinkered" around with mankind until he got what he wanted.

Atleast hes on the right track, you know, by accepting evolution as truth.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Quote:
When they report they have a conscious animal, I think that would be verifiable. This is one of my personal standards for accepting these things.
These proceedings are out of order.

1)When you report what is individually understood by consciousness including a full definition of property, this item can go forward. Once the properties are submitted, they will be used without opportunity for adjustment in this very murky and un-impressive approach to chosen proof.

2)Also, you have not explained the implications of why it is imperative for your proof that animals are not conscious in any way. You are making no point toward the suggested proof without, explaining the importance of human consciousness only ..For example, if human only is conscious as you believe, relative to submitted and suggested proof.... so what?

Last edited by stargazzer; 02-22-2012 at 01:08 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
it is reasonable to hypothesize that our consciousness is of the same non-baryonic energy/matter.
Not really. For two reasons.

The first is that just because an as yet unmeasured thing is implied to exist, this does not give us warrant to entirely randomly start claiming that something is made of that thing. Getting from "Our current science seems to imply the existence of Dark Energy" to "Therefore consciousness must be made of Dark Energy" is a complete non sequitur.

The second is that although the phenomenon of consciousness is still an open question in many areas to us, every measurement we make shows nothing but very real energy, released for the metabolism of very real food, and takes the form of electric pulses in the brain. So while we might not understand how these energies are producing consciousness, it very much seems they are. Postulating other energies in the brain for which we have no evidence at all for the presence of adds nothing to the conversation except the fantasies of those who want an already complex topic to be even more complex again.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 AM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Proof of consciousness and intelligence in whales and dolphins...

At the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in Mississippi, a dolphin named Kelly outwitted its human keepers and passed on some of its tricks to its offspring. Dolphins at the centre were rewarded with fish if they collected litter from their tanks and carried it in their mouths to the staff but Kelly found a weakness in the scheme. When people dropped paper into her tank, she hid it under a rock on the bottom. When a keeper next approached, she swam down and tore a small piece off, and returned to the surface to claim her reward. She worked out that a small piece of paper earned the same reward as a big piece, and so maximised her meals.

Then one day, Kelly managed to grab a gull that flew into the tank. When she delivered it to her keepers, she got an especially large fish reward. The next time Kelly was fed she hid the fish at the bottom of the pool, and later brought it to the surface to lure more gulls into the pool. The strategy proved so successful that she taught her offspring, who went on to teach others. Whales and dolphins 'should have legal rights' | World news | The Guardian

Mirror self-recognition in the bottlenose dolphin: A case of cognitive convergence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality