Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Everything around me is the universe. The galaxies, stars, planets and life on earth all came to exist by natural processes that are scientifically explainable. That's why I believe that the universe itself came to exist naturally as well.

Maybe there are other universes or maybe there's a "God" which caused our universe to exist. But given the lack of evidence, I don't believe in either.
It may be I have not explained clearly:

If you see a murder, can you say the killed man has been killed spontaneously, without any killer?

The same thing if you see a big house with many rooms, kitchen, bathroom, etc. ... can you say this house has been spontaneously built without any builder?

Therefore, how can it be true that everything in the universe has come to existence spontaneously without any Creator That made it?

The parable of the house and its builder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distraff View Post
Who says the doer has to be a person?
What then?

Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM

278 posts, read 357,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
What then?
Then the doer may have been a non-person.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Then the doer may have been a non-person.
Like what for example ?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
It may be I have not explained clearly:

If you see a murder, can you say the killed man has been killed spontaneously, without any killer?

The same thing if you see a big house with many rooms, kitchen, bathroom, etc. ... can you say this house has been spontaneously built without any builder?

Therefore, how can it be true that everything in the universe has come to existence spontaneously without any Creator That made it?

The parable of the house and its builder
This is the age-old argument from design.

But natural processes create the illusion of design in the universe.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
We have been over and over this with you until we are blue in the face and you still keep coming back with the house builder tripe.

Listen carefully....

We know that houses, pictures, cars, bridges and all the other things you cite to try to prove a builder/manufacturer/designer/artist, do not occur naturally. Hence, they have to have a builder/manufacturer/designer/artist.

Things like trees, flowers, plants, mountains, clouds, rivers...and millions of other things DO occur naturally and do NOT require a 'builder'.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that God caused the universe (big bang) to come into existence. Let this be a given.

Okay. Now, how do we get from THAT and prove that this same God created all the stars and planets in the universe, created humans on one of these planets, and then sent his only son to die for all of our sins?

Kind of tricky, huh?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
1. How did "God" come to be? What was the "cause and effect"? Did "God" "just happen"?

2. How proof does a theist have that they have "experienced the power of God" rather than just cause and effec' or coincidence or selective awareness?
When I was about three years old, I had a "GOD IS" moment while I was all alone. I was overwhelmed with the sudden thought of "how can we be"? How can anything be? It was a mind-blowing contemplation (especially for a three year old). And at that early age, I realized that because "I AM" - that "GOD IS". I still feel just as awed by my own existence and the life force that exists all around us in nature. I know this is not "Proof" for those who are not awed by the reality of life. But it is all I need to believe that there is something great and powerful and far beyond my ability to comprehend.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
People are not made of mud. Stones are not made of mud.

There is a difference between the idea that stones pop in and out of existence and quantum particles pop in and out of existence. Bad analogy. The rules that govern the small scale (quantum mechanics) are not the same as the rules that govern the large scale (Newtonian physics and relativity).

Also many atheists do not believe that the universe came from nothing. Some believe that it was caused be something outside of space-time. Others view the universe as eternal although they are in a minority.
We are made of the earthly elements which are also made of star dust. The heavy metals in the earth would not be here without having been forged in the immense heat of stars. This however does not explain the spiritual part of humanity which is not made of tangible substance.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I never try to convince believers that they should stop believing.

I'd appreciate the same consideration in return.
This is a Religion and Philosophy forum. People discuss those things here. Why do you see that as people trying to convince you of something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality