Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtango View Post
In Mesopotamia river flooding was part of every day life and thus nobody’s home would be flooded. In the desert he who would wake up to see his home flooded would certainly think that the god decided to flood the entire earth.
I doubt it. They weren't as dumb as some modern day people. They would know the entire earth didn't get flooded when they would meet many people after the flood and so they would not write about the world being flooded.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Of course God is responsible for diseases. He created them. They didn't just evolve from pond skum you know.?
Don't worry about "skum". I know you don't get it. I'm simply playing your game, on your terms, something you should stick with.

So, here is the sequence:
1- God creates animals.
2- God creates diseases and the plan to affect virtually all of these animals (except a pair of each kind).
3- God then punishes those He wanted to acquire the disease(s) He created.
4- That makes God very happy.

Sounds like a destructive minded child creating things just so he/she can enjoy destroying it.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
I think its a strong possible reason why there is so much sand there; Sand is transported by water, and all the indications that I have studied, shows that region as the eye of the flood. I think the flood started in the Tigris Euphrates valley ( Syria, Iraq, Turkey, Iran, Saudi Arabia), these were the eye of the flood.
And likewise, playing on your terms, this sand you speak of is in a limited area, not globally.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
As someone else back a wee bit here so eloquently and accurately noted, He did all this to "cleanse" the earth once and for all, right?
Where in the Bible does it say He did it to cleanse the earth once and for all? Quit making things up as you go along.

Quote:
And yet.... here we we all are back in full force again, but way more of us Evil™-do-ers than ever before and our Evil™ numbers climbing exponentially; all 7+B of us milling around and wrecking havoc on His glorious Creations,and being righteously chastized daily by arrogant & hyper-indignant End-Timer hopefuls, all yowling that the entire world and it's occupants are all evil. And then, the IDTrs tell us they will all get to gloat when He doth cometh back. SO Pascal's Stuipid Wager is again unleashed, as if we should all believe in sumthin; really 'tuupitt just because it's the best chance we might get, if we atheists are all wrong!? Yup: that's native intelligence at work!
Even if you atheists are all wrong God actually thinks you are quite cool and likes you. The Bible says He is fond of you:
Tit 3:4 "Yet when the kindness and fondness for humanity of our Saviour,
God, made its advent,"

God is actually at peace with all mankind and is not reckoning their offenses to them:
(BBE) That is, that God was in Christ making peace between the world
and himself, not putting their sins to their account, and having given to us
the preaching of this news of peace.

So your statements are not really correct. I know I won't be gloating and I don't believe anyone is saved by chance.

Quote:
OK then: you fundies? Have a nice repeat-delusional day!!
Oooooh kaaaaaay. We love you anyway.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Don't worry about "skum". I know you don't get it. I'm simply playing your game, on your terms, something you should stick with.

So, here is the sequence:
1- God creates animals.
2- God creates diseases and the plan to affect virtually all of these animals (except a pair of each kind).
3- God then punishes those He wanted to acquire the disease(s) He created.
4- That makes God very happy.

Sounds like a destructive minded child creating things just so he/she can enjoy destroying it.
Nope, not quite right there. God didn't punish those animals that acquired diseases.

God does all things for good. He doesn't do anything just to do anything for his own kicks. All mankind will be brought back to life one day and will be given immortality. For now, we ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and so we must learn that knowledge of both good and evil.

I wouldn't doubt it that God will bring back all the animals to life one day too. So what beef do you freeking have with God? All those humans and animals were eventually going to die anyway. Lessening their lives a few years is nothing in comparison to giving them eternal life.
Your arguments are like that of a destructive minded child who lays on the floor kicking with his feet and pounding with his fists when he doesn't get his way or understand mature things.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:29 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Surely an entertaining 65+ pages of discussion.

Last edited by theflipflop; 03-15-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: to be less snarky :-)

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
[/i]

They had very high mountains in that region you know. Just like South American people did thousands of years ago. They used mountains to freeze-dry their foods. Don't you know that?
I didn't know it, care to give a source? So now Noah knows about freeze drying foodstuffs which was hardly regular practice in his ...wherever he lived...by they way, some Flood enthusiasts, trying to make a flood with a limited amount of water (without Godmagic, remember, this all has to work reasonably naturally, for some unwritten rule - book ) have to have no high mountains and have them grow within a year.

Quote:
Who said he collected millions of other species? Let's see, he needed one pair of baby horses, one pair of baby elephants, one pair of baby dogs, etc. Some scientist speculated he needed 16,000 animals.
Which scientist speculated those figures please? In fact, since you don't believe in evolution, then you'd need all the species - all million or so of them because none would ever change. Or do you (like a lot of creationists) accept evolution so long as it isn't from one species to another? Also, does that include prehistoric animals or do you reckon they all went extinct in the Flood?

Quote:
As to iron age tools, yes they worked with iron prior to the world-wide flood of Noah's day:

Gen 4:22 And Zillah, moreover, she bears Tubalcain, a forger of every tool of copper and iron. And the sister of Tubalcain is Naamah.
No they didn't, or the Ark would have been iron - framed - or steel - framed going by the technological expertise you casually ascribe to him.

Go on - now tell me that there is no reason why the ark couldn't have been iron framed just because it doesn't say so.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
[/i]

They had very high mountains in that region you know. Just like South American people did thousands of years ago. They used mountains to freeze-dry their foods. Don't you know that?

Who said he collected millions of other species? Let's see, he needed one pair of baby horses, one pair of baby elephants, one pair of baby dogs, etc. Some scientist speculated he needed 16,000 animals.

As to iron age tools, yes they worked with iron prior to the world-wide flood of Noah's day:

Gen 4:22 And Zillah, moreover, she bears Tubalcain, a forger of every tool of copper and iron. And the sister of Tubalcain is Naamah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I didn't know it, care to give a source? So now Noah knows about freeze drying foodstuffs which was hardly regular practice in his ...wherever he lived...by they way, some Flood enthusiasts, trying to make a flood with a limited amount of water (without Godmagic, remember, this all has to work reasonably naturally, for some unwritten rule - book ) have to have no high mountains and have them grow within a year.
The Zagros Mountains (Persian: رشته كوه زاگرس‎, Lurish: کو یه لی زاگروس ,
Aramaic: ܛܘܪ ܙܪܓܣ, Kurdish: زنجیره*چیاکانی زاگرۆس, Aramaic: ܛܘܪ ܙܪܓܣ, Arabic: جبال
زغروس‎) are the largest mountain range in Iran and Iraq. With a total length
of 1,500 km (932 mi), from northwestern Iran, and roughly correlating
with Iran's western border, the Zagros range spans the whole length of
the western and southwestern Iranian plateau and ends at the Strait of
Hormuz. The highest points in the Zagros Mountains are Zard Kuhbakhtiari
(4,548 m, 14,921 ft) and Mt. Dena (4,359 m, 14,301 ft). The Hazaran
massif in the Kerman province of Iran forms an eastern outlier of the
range, the Jebal Barez reaching into Sistan

Zagros Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Which scientist speculated those figures please? In fact, since you don't believe in evolution, then you'd need all the species - all million or so of them because none would ever change.
I already posted the info about the 16,000 animals in this thread. I won't look it up again.
No, he didn't need a million animals but if he did then he succeeded because they are alive today because of passing safely through the world-wide flood.

Quote:
Or do you (like a lot of creationists) accept evolution so long as it isn't from one species to another? Also, does that include prehistoric animals or do you reckon they all went extinct in the Flood?
I don't accept any form of evolution. I'm just not that into make-believe. I gave that up when I was a very young child.

Quote:
No they didn't, or the Ark would have been iron - framed - or steel - framed going by the technological expertise you casually ascribe to him.
No it wouldn't be iron because God told him to make it of a specific wood. But God did not tell him he couldn't use iron parts. The fact is that they were making copper and iron instruments before the flood.

Quote:
Go on - now tell me that there is no reason why the ark couldn't have been iron framed just because it doesn't say so.
Because God told Noah to use a specific wood. Go on- now tell me that there is no reason why the ark couldn't have been wood framed just because it says it was.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And likewise, playing on your terms, this sand you speak of is in a limited area, not globally.

Which is why I am backing away from a " Global Flood", and heading to a " World flood, world meaning wherever people were alive and populating." The world in the bible always means people, not the entire global earth. God said in Genesis 7:4;" I will blot out from " The Face" of the land , every living thing I have made. I am beginning to think that " Face" was not a global face, but more of a geographical populated one.

I mean why should God flood entire continents that no humans even existed on? His gripe was with humans, not the earth. So change is demanded in my thinking and beliefs.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

I mean why should God flood entire continents that no humans even existed on? His gripe was with humans, not the earth. So change is demanded in my thinking and beliefs.
Humans were on either one continent back then called Pangea or were on every continent.

If just Mesopotamia was flooded and Noah recorded the waters above the high mountains on the eastern side of Mesopotamia and those mountains are over 14,000 feet high, tell me how the flood could only have been in Mesopotamia? Did God make an invisible barrier all the way around Mesopotamia so the waters would stay over 14,000 feet high over the low lands to the west of Mesopotamia?

P.S. the same "earth" eretz God created in Genesis 1:1 is the same "earth" eretz that was that was filled with violence in 6:13 and the same "earth" eretz God said He would destroy by the flood in 6:13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.