Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM

713 posts, read 1,956,961 times

Advertisements

A major difference between a true Christian and an atheist is an atheist lives for THIS life, while a true Christian lives for the NEXT life. A true Christian understands the meaning of life and adheres to an attitude of “It’s not about me.” On the other side, an atheist perceives life as a one-time stint, with a large emphasis on the attitude of “What’s in it for me?” An atheist strives for greatness in the world's eye. A true Christian strives for greatness in God's eye.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 01:34 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
A major difference between a true Christian and an atheist is an atheist lives for THIS life, while a true Christian lives for the NEXT life. A true Christian understands the meaning of life and adheres to an attitude of “It’s not about me.” On the other side, an atheist perceives life as a one-time stint, with a large emphasis on the attitude of “What’s in it for me?” An atheist strives for greatness in the world's eye. A true Christian strives for greatness in God's eye.

Since you have not stood in an atheist shoes you have no idea how an atheist thinks or lives...

Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 PM

If it is not about God... who is it about?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 PM

206 posts, read 571,588 times
Ever heard the term " You only go 'round once"? There is nothing in the Bible that says you can't have fun with your time here.(yes I know, as long as you adhere to God's laws)

Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Quote:
That's a very inaccurate and misformed opinion of most atheists (and, for that matter, many of the christians) that I know. It's not "what's in it for me", but rather, how will this benefit the world or my family or society, or the environment.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
A major difference between a true Christian and an atheist is an atheist lives for THIS life, while a true Christian lives for the NEXT life. A true Christian understands the meaning of life and adheres to an attitude of “It’s not about me.” On the other side, an atheist perceives life as a one-time stint, with a large emphasis on the attitude of “What’s in it for me?”
Moderator cut: attack LOL. There are other religions and beliefs (including atheism) that are for more logical and mature in understanding life and the universe than your hand-me-down sacrificial blood cult ever will be.

And FYI, the majority of those who see this life as a one-time stint hardly emphasize "what's in it for me?" but rather "how can I make the world a better place and improve humanity's lot in the universe?"

Quote:
An atheist strives for greatness in the world's eye. A true Christian strives for greatness in God's eye.
Quote:
..which is just about as meaningful as striving for greatness in the eye of Odin, Zeus or Ra.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-13-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
If it is not about God... who is it about?
Which God(s)? Who's God(s)?

Why should "it" be about some non-communicative invisible entity that if it exists at all is unlikely to be anything like the absurd God of Christianity or any earthly religion describes it to be, and likely doesn't even cares for or desires our attentions?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
That's a very inaccurate and misformed opinion of most atheists (and, for that matter, many of the christians) that I know. It's not "what's in it for me", but rather, how will this benefit the world or my family or society, or the environment.
You probably never really met a TRUE Christian... thatis why I wrote "true" in the write-up. For many atheists that judge what Christianity is all about buy the "Christians" they see... sadly most of the "Chistians" they see are false Christians that give TRUE Christians a bad name.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
You don't get to decide who is a "true" christian or not.
Do you equate yourself with your god-thing?

Are you so insecure in yourself that you have to put everyone else down?
How christ-like. NOT.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You probably never really met a TRUE Christian... that is why I wrote "true" in the write-up. For many atheists that judge what Christianity is all about buy the "Christians" they see... sadly most of the "Chistians" they see are false Christians that give TRUE Christians a bad name.
Ahh the "no true Scotsman" fallacy rides again.

And of course, the atheists you claim to be all about themselves could not be "false" atheists, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality