Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM

478 posts, read 772,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
A major difference between a true Christian and an atheist is an atheist lives for THIS life, while a true Christian lives for the NEXT life. A true Christian understands the meaning of life and adheres to an attitude of “It’s not about me.” On the other side, an atheist perceives life as a one-time stint, with a large emphasis on the attitude of “What’s in it for me?” An atheist strives for greatness in the world's eye. A true Christian strives for greatness in God's eye.

You clearly have atheism confused with satanism based on your "what's in it for me" generalization. Please do a little more research before making generalizations about people- and not from books or internet, but by talking to and interacting with the people you want to learn more about. Athiests, in general, live their lives NO DIFFERENTLY than you, or any christians do- except for the fact that they do not base their moves on what the bible says or what they have been told that god thinks is "right"- atheists might be more apt to stop and think about the things they do, and how those things will affect them and those around them instead. And smart, non-branwashed christians will do the same thing, the only difference is that the christians might believe they have a little more guidance or "faith" on their side- not a bad thing, it's just not something that everyone needs. What you are also forgetting is that things like the ten commandments that christians follow, atheists follow too because they are basic rules of societal living- just not as stated in the bible, nor for the same reasons- and definitely not out of wrath and fear, but out of the simple, realization that actions have consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Christians spend their time here trying to earn, keep, or justify their hope for eternal life, and you accuse atheists of being the only ones in it for themselves. Nice try, but pretty transparent.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 AM

27 posts, read 20,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Christians spend their time here trying to earn, keep, or justify their hope for eternal life, and you accuse atheists of being the only ones in it for themselves. Nice try, but pretty transparent.
If atheists "for itself". Christians - for tsars and patriarchs and other regim .

Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
What you are also forgetting is that things like the ten commandments that christians follow, atheists follow too because they are basic rules of societal living- just not as stated in the bible, nor for the same reasons- and definitely not out of wrath and fear, but out of the simple, realization that actions have consequences.
Of course, there are only two of the ten commandments that are remotely necessary for a functional society - do not kill and do not steal. And those two predate Christianity, the Bible and its God. The other eight commandments are ridiculous, irrelevant and/or authored by control freaks that have no real moral or societal value (except perhaps to the priesthood and despots of theocratic dictatorships.)

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM

309 posts, read 1,210,310 times
Greetings,
We have a choice in our beliefs and ways to practice them. I dont believe it is fair to judge anybody for that or to pass insults..
BE BLESSED

Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default A trolling we will go....

Quote:
A major difference between a true Christian and an atheist is an atheist lives for THIS life, while a true Christian lives for the NEXT life. A true Christian understands the meaning of life and adheres to an attitude of “It’s not about me.” On the other side, an atheist perceives life as a one-time stint, with a large emphasis on the attitude of “What’s in it for me?” An atheist strives for greatness in the world's eye. A true Christian strives for greatness in God's eye.

The OP ignorantly and with malice perpetrates the age-old idea of atheistic selfishness, lack of a moral rudder, and lack of values or any good purpose in life. Plus vast personal vanity. Odd. After my own de-conversion, I became very active in my life, my personal beliefs, and my efforts at helping out in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
Ok, you can make gross stereotypes, good for you

Tell me, why do true Christians strive for greatness in God's eye? What in the NEXT life are true Christians living for?
Answer: by their own admission, they live for the guarantee of entry into heaven, which is presented to them as a wonderful place (based entirely on the things we mortals imagine to be "heavenly"). They are willing to prostrate themselves in front of their God in order to "please Him", to "honor and obey Him", and to "Praise Him" at every possible turn. For what again? The glory of God's salvation?

What if they were told, let's say by the Pope, that such behavior was seem as simpering and brown-nosing by God, and that He wanted it stopped? "Just go and live a good life, and let others alone!" He says, hypothetically. Boy wouldn't we see some changes, huh?

BTW, SuperStar 34; if you are a Christian you shouldn't be lying, should you? So answer me just this one question:

Are you or are you not related to Campbell34? Not a problem, but I'm just curious.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Good catch, rifleman. That '34' appearing in both usernames is very suspicious.

I would also like to add for the benefit of helios666 that more than two of the Ten Commandments make good secular sense for the stability of a society. Running around with other people's spouses, for one. The only ones that I don't place any credence in as an atheist are the ones dealing directly with 'God'. (I do admit to being covetous on occasion.) As I have stated before, I try to live ethically, which to my way of thinking is more worthy as a heathen, since I have no expectations of supernatural reward or punishment. The so-called "Golden Rule", which did not originate with Judaism, sums ethics up rather well.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,
We have a choice in our beliefs and ways to practice them. I dont believe it is fair to judge anybody for that or to pass insults..
BE BLESSED

This is a nice thought but not quite true. I tried for years to force myself to 'believe'....didn't work. It is not always a choice. I give you an E for Effort though!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
You probably never really met a TRUE Christian... thatis why I wrote "true" in the write-up. For many atheists that judge what Christianity is all about buy the "Christians" they see... sadly most of the "Chistians" they see are false Christians that give TRUE Christians a bad name.
I agree, many Christians give Christianity a really bad name...

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You don't get to decide who is a "true" christian or not.
Do you equate yourself with your god-thing?

Are you so insecure in yourself that you have to put everyone else down?
How christ-like. NOT.

But he is correct in what he says....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality