Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times

Advertisements

Reading through here you can clearly see that it can be applied to anything, anywhere. This is often the case with God or Gods.

Before the "one" God thought, all Gods we're applied to anything and everything, volcanos, tornados, love, hate, famine, anything that needed an explanation that they didn't have a logical one for. Gods have been applied to things we don't understand for eons. People fear what they cannot come to terms with logically. That is nature, some will place God in that spot.

The more we actually learn, and find out a logical explanation for the more God is replaced with the real reason these things happen. Rarely do you see religious people still praying to a rain God for rain or asking God what they did wrong when hit by a tornado they once thought was an angry God talking to them. They know how the weather system works now. They still thank God for surviving things though. Our mind is complex, emotions are hard to understand.
If you are the kind of person who absolutely needs the explanation you will make one up to go there. Nothing new. It will slowly be replaced by the real explanation in time. This is my opinion. You can see it if you go back a while and read about it. Way back, before the one God new age thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Reading through here you can clearly see that it can be applied to anything, anywhere. This is often the case with God or Gods.

Before the "one" God thought, all Gods we're applied to anything and everything, volcanos, tornados, love, hate, famine, anything that needed an explanation that they didn't have a logical one for. Gods have been applied to things we don't understand for eons. People fear what they cannot come to terms with logically. That is nature, some will place God in that spot.

The more we actually learn, and find out a logical explanation for the more God is replaced with the real reason these things happen..
Mystic will inevitably argue that even the "real reason" doesn't explain away Gods presence in the matter, because the "real reason" is just another attribute of God.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:26 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Mystic will inevitably argue that even the "real reason" doesn't explain away Gods presence in the matter, because the "real reason" is just another attribute of God.
You are really becoming more insightful all the time, Whipper!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So basically his approach is just "There is a god because no matter what you talk about I can just say 'That is god too' at every turn... therefore it must be true!"?

I have heard some poor apologetics in my time but that certainly takes the biscuit. And the cake. And the tea tray.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 5,637,561 times
I believe in the power of meditation and prayer and that we ULTIMATELY do not control our own destiny. I also dont believe that any of the gods of religions here on earth are correct, because that would be saying that the stories of every other religion and their god are wrong. I am torn on the notion of what the afterlife will truly be like. Thus I am a deist...but it only makes sense to me that there is a god; nothing in the landscape of the universe just built itself outta thin air...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Thankfully however things are not true just because they "make sense" to you. In fact there are many things that are demonstrably true which make almost no "sense" at all.

There is simply no argument, data, evidence or reasons on offer to my knowledge to suggest there is a god entity or an "afterlife" so I am not sure what your concern is, or what basis we have for considering there to be such things. It seems to boil down to "I believe it because... I just do".

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 AM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times
See, I don't get how people don't know that God exists. It is a spiritual thing that really cannot be expressed to someone else. Religion is a whole different thing and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with God and these days, very little to do with God. Religion is so much a social organization, kind of like the difference between a group of people living without being incorporated into a city and those that want/need the regulation/guidance from a designated source they can interact with.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:30 AM

399 posts, read 581,848 times
Personal experience.

Bottomline: I believe.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:40 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
See, I don't get how people don't know that God exists.
It is not that difficult to get really. There is literally no evidence, arguments, data or reasons on offer to think there is a god. Therefore I do not think there is a god. Wheres the issue?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
See, I don't get how people don't know that God exists. It is a spiritual thing that really cannot be expressed to someone else. Religion is a whole different thing and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with God and these days, very little to do with God. Religion is so much a social organization, kind of like the difference between a group of people living without being incorporated into a city and those that want/need the regulation/guidance from a designated source they can interact with.
Nozz is right (as usual) And so are you. Religion and God (aka 'god') are different things.

Religion is a crock. Man - made gods are a crock. Holy books, robes, funny hats and hymn- singing is a crock.

'God' is not a crock. It is real, is is a feeling or experience or perhaps several different kinds of experiences or a mix of them which a lot of people ..ah...experience. Perhaps even myself, though I was sure it was just something in my head.

Who knows? Perhaps Mystic is right, perhaps the Buddhists are right or the Sufis or the Native Americans. I am content to let people alone to interpret their experiences how they like and I will wait for science to come up with some more evidence to add to that which already seems to confirm my preference for the theory that it is all in the head.

But the religions are not right, nor the Holy Books, the wearers of funny hats or those who claim to know what God wants and who even claim that their views, opinion and agendas coincide with that of their Gods - made - in - their own image. These people are not only deluded, are not only a nuisance, they are dangerous.

I cannot be tolerant of them. I cannot allow them to get away with whatever they like under the 'respect' Act. I am militantly opposed to them and so, I would respectfully suggest, if you don't want to have to live Anywhere else, should these loops take over, should you be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality