Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:41 PM

180 posts, read 217,105 times

Advertisements

My guess is that:

1. The dirty NJ beaches are repulsive to you and you probably think about that beautiful NC beach when you see it and its depressing to think about what that beach could be.
2. Since you think about the NC beach when you see the NJ beach, you miss the peace and connection you felt with the other beach.
3. The NC beach was probably an excellent way for you to de-stress and it may be hard to replace how effective it was. Maybe finding some other ways to do that would help.

I am from a very rural area. When I was away, I missed the peace and solitude it brought and I had to find places to be alone and get the feeling of "home". To me cities and highly populated areas are not "natural" I don't feel like its where I am supposed to be and being there too much is a bad thing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Sounds to me like you should consider returning to North Carolina, or maybe having a second home there.

It's very normal for people to feel a lifelong connection to the place they grew up in.

I am trying so very hard!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
My guess is that:

1. The dirty NJ beaches are repulsive to you and you probably think about that beautiful NC beach when you see it and its depressing to think about what that beach could be.
2. Since you think about the NC beach when you see the NJ beach, you miss the peace and connection you felt with the other beach.
3. The NC beach was probably an excellent way for you to de-stress and it may be hard to replace how effective it was. Maybe finding some other ways to do that would help.

I am from a very rural area. When I was away, I missed the peace and solitude it brought and I had to find places to be alone and get the feeling of "home". To me cities and highly populated areas are not "natural" I don't feel like its where I am supposed to be and being there too much is a bad thing for me.
I agree with all of this. Problem is, my bi yearly trip home just doesnt do it.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Good enough. When you post on a public message board asking people their opinion, you're going to get them. I do think though, that some people are just built a certain way and like certain climates better than others....but I wouldn't call it spiritual. I sincerely hope that you get what you need to be happy. I just don't believe in special spiritual pagan spiritual connections between us and nature.

We are more connected to nature then we realize and although you may not believe it, and you're entitled to that, our DNA and that of the trees and plants around us is one of the same and we cannot survive without the trees and the trees cannot survive without us. The air we breathe in comes from all the plants and trees that they breathe out, we breathe in the oxygen that the trees and plants release into the air and the trees and plants take in the carbon monoxide that we breathe out, so you see we are more connected then you realize. One cannot live without the other.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
In my experience, people of all religious beliefs feel communion with the natural world, they just believe something different about it. I believe in the mother of the world, mother nature sort of figure. But if you are monotheistic, and believe in God, then there is no reason why you wouldnt feel closer to Him while in nature. He would be what creates spiritual peace within yourself when you pray. If you went out into the woods and prayed, God would feel closer. Atheists who dont adhere to any sort of spiritual ideals, feel more peaceful in nature. Humans are animals, and thus our natural environment is out in nature. Why should we not feel a connection.
Exactly. I am not sure why some have divorced themselves from the natural world and I don't just mean living in cities, but rather their attitude toward it. Regardless of whether it all came about via the Christian God, the "Creator" as some of the Nations call it in the dominant language, the Deist version of god, Allah, or it simply just happened as the atheists say, we are part of this natural world. I don't see how some can think we are somehow unattached to it or above it. When people forget that, then they often see it as a "thing" to be exploited and capitalized on...a "thing" to serve them rather than being an integrated part of it. Such an attitude may just lead to man's extinction by his own hands.

Last edited by Fullback32; 04-17-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
Quote:
I am a pagan, I openly identify with the water element of the earth. I feel most at home and attuned with the ocean. I feel drawn to and a deep need to associate with loggerhead turtles, that come on the sand on the coast of north carolina and lay their eggs. I am from North Carolina originally. My favorite activity in all the world is having a spiritual communion in nature while sitting on an empty beach at dawn.

I currently live in NJ. The beaches here are atrocious. People are so abusive to the nature, they are over crowded and gross. I feel no communion with nature. I just feel suffocated, like I do everywhere else.

My question is, for a couple of years I have felt depressed and unmotivated. I feel unhappy like I am always missing something in my life, despite having a fulfilling marriage and a wonderful child. Do you guys think it could be because I am so far from my ocean?

ETA sorry for the spelling mistake in the title, it should be alternatively
I feel for you Sweetie. I'm a Floridian in Colorado far away from my beloved ocean too.

The soul knows what it needs to survive.

Is relocating not an option for you and your family? I would imagine that there is a great deal of negative energy where you are and the best thing would be to get away from it.

I wish you luck. Blessed be.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I agree with all of this. Problem is, my bi yearly trip home just doesnt do it.
I've also read a theory that the weakening of earth's magnetic field makes an even stronger longing for home, and its possible connection to the growing number of people moving back closer to the areas where they grew up.

I can't find it anywhere, I think I saw it on a documentary.

Of course, There are probably a lot of other reasons to account for this trend, and the documentary could have pulled it out of its a$$, but there are studies that show earth's magnetism has an effect us.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Good enough. When you post on a public message board asking people their opinion, you're going to get them. I do think though, that some people are just built a certain way and like certain climates better than others....but I wouldn't call it spiritual. I sincerely hope that you get what you need to be happy. I just don't believe in special spiritual pagan spiritual connections between us and nature.
How sad that you've never experienced the spiritual bond with nature.

I wish I could explain it to you, standing by the ocean at dawn or being in the mountains. The feeling of absolute peace is beyond description.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,556 times
Quote:
I am a pagan, I openly identify with the water element of the earth. I feel most at home and attuned with the ocean. I feel drawn to and a deep need to associate with loggerhead turtles, that come on the sand on the coast of north carolina and lay their eggs. I am from North Carolina originally. My favorite activity in all the world is having a spiritual communion in nature while sitting on an empty beach at dawn.

I currently live in NJ. The beaches here are atrocious. People are so abusive to the nature, they are over crowded and gross. I feel no communion with nature. I just feel suffocated, like I do everywhere else.

My question is, for a couple of years I have felt depressed and unmotivated. I feel unhappy like I am always missing something in my life, despite having a fulfilling marriage and a wonderful child. Do you guys think it could be because I am so far from my ocean?

ETA sorry for the spelling mistake in the title, it should be alternatively

God Yes~! I have lived near the coast nearly all my life apart from a year inland. I didn't notice the loss at the time but when I got back to the sea, I realised how different I felt. I went on holidays to a great inland town not long ago where I could live, except I realised I hated that it was over an hour from the coast. At the moment I'm 5 mins away...the sea is such a constant reassuring presence...reminds you of infinity...also doesn't it give out positive ions which affect mood and stress? Not an expert but it is very good for the soul.

I was told by a psychic to hang out more near bodies of water as they are very calming.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
How sad that you've never experienced the spiritual bond with nature.

I wish I could explain it to you, standing by the ocean at dawn or being in the mountains. The feeling of absolute peace is beyond description.
Connection with nature is a wonderful thing. Everyone should experience it. I am an avid fisherman and hunter, I think it would be hard for me to function properly if I did not get that peace that I experience from it. I very rarely kill anything when I hunt anymore, I just go to observe and enjoy nature. The only time I kill is if someone needs the meat, a few of my family members count on the meat from hunting and fishing, they plant gardens as well. Its also necessary to keep animal populations in check, but a lot of the people kill just to kill, I guess they do their part though.

While I am an atheist and do not see as a "spiritual" connection, it is a connection nonetheless, and no one should be deprived of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality