Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 01:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

If I get you correctly, I agree. It's not only atheists but those of other religions and even Christians who may have their own ideas that don't fit in with the one type of Dogma they profess, should support, not only separation of church and state but a push for a society where no one religion dominates politics, the Law and education.

Sure. They may lean back and take their rights and privileges for granted. But pushing for a few more is a sure way of securing the ones you already have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 02:53 AM

16,780 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
American Hindus were very brave fighting for their right to express their religious belief in the public in the incident at Oklahoma capitol building. Fundamentalist Christians had to surrender when they acknowledged that they had to share space with other faiths.

The most effective way to fight against Christian totalitarianism is to encourage more religious recognition. Christians have to either learn to to coexist with other religious groups or retreat for a neutral space.

Quote:
This incident is a good example for my argument. Atheists should be encouraged to give invocation, too. With people like the Christian you are arguing against, you cannot use water to put out their fire; you need to use more fire from everywhere you can reach.
I believe many US atheists would agree with you, as freedom of religion also applies to all non-Christians.

The problem I see on this and other boards is that some Christians hate atheism so much they can not see past that hate.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I like it in America. I like the freedoms we have guaranteed to us. Why would I want to go live anywhere else?
Why aren’t I free to not have your religion forced on me or my kids that might go to the school you describe?

I don't expect you to see or acknowledge the dilemma BFun

Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why aren’t I free to not have your religion forced on me or my kids that might go to the school you describe?

I don't expect you to see or acknowledge the dilemma BFun
you are free to have that. It, in fact, is the law.

the problem is we are also free to say "just because the put up a sign that doesn't mean they are forcing you." letting a student say a prayer at graduation if they want "isn't forcing" a religion on you.

regular atheist just shrug it off as "silly kid". more sensitive atheist start foaming at the mouth. people that foam at the mouth when they see a religious symbol or hear a prayer aren't really the one we should be listening to. for or against the symbol isnt the issue. The foaming is.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 10-11-2020 at 06:33 AM..

Old 10-11-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
American Hindus were very brave fighting for their right to express their religious belief in the public in the incident at Oklahoma capitol building. Fundamentalist Christians had to surrender when they acknowledged that they had to share space with other faiths.

The most effective way to fight against Christian totalitarianism is to encourage more religious recognition. Christians have to either learn to to coexist with other religious groups or retreat for a neutral space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh9cjUv9XgY&t=1s

This incident is a good example for my argument. Atheists should be encouraged to give invocation, too. With people like the Christian you are arguing against, you cannot use water to put out their fire; you need to use more fire from everywhere you can reach.
people in religions need to learn what freedom of religion really means more than most atheist do. imo that is.

Old 10-11-2020, 11:03 PM

197 posts, read 86,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
people in religions need to learn what freedom of religion really means more than most atheist do. imo that is.

A Hindu would not have a problem with an atheist invocation.
A Christian is a different story.

Old 10-12-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
A Hindu would not have a problem with an atheist invocation.
A Christian is a different story.
noted

some people in religions ...

Old 10-12-2020, 08:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
I'd like to hear from any followers of non-Christian religions who equally object to the separation of church and state as outlined in our Constitution's (the USA's) 1st amendment. Christians claim that such a wall was not intended, does not exist and that it stifles their freedom of religion (and their divine "right" to run the show, apparently).

Any American Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Muslims etc who feel as oppressed by the wall? (and Jews, despite the claims by Christians this country was founded on "Judeo-Christian" principles).

After all, your voices are already woefully under-represented in our schools, government and law. Not to mention the public square, cable TV, radio, internet etc..
What do you mean by "Christians oppose"? I am a Christian and I believe church and state should be separate. So did the founders who wrote, and all the state legislatures who ratified, the Bill of Rights, 99% of whom were Christians (there may have been one or two Jews).

Old 10-12-2020, 10:42 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are free to have that. It, in fact, is the law.

the problem is we are also free to say "just because the put up a sign that doesn't mean they are forcing you." letting a student say a prayer at graduation if they want "isn't forcing" a religion on you.

regular atheist just shrug it off as "silly kid". more sensitive atheist start foaming at the mouth. people that foam at the mouth when they see a religious symbol or hear a prayer aren't really the one we should be listening to. for or against the symbol isnt the issue. The foaming is.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When we ask "what happed to you that caused this reaction." it kind of forces us to look at the real issue.

what they refuse to see is that we ask the same question to everybody with an irrational answer. They want us to only be attacking believers, as a whole, and leave atheist alone. and they actually think that is reusable.

Well, like I told one person struggling, you aint as sick as you think you are, you know there is a problem. The real sick ones think they are totally normal.

but then again, if this site would just come out and say we are here for abused people at the hands of religious ... I might leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality