Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Would all of you gays stop picking fights already?!
LOL... I know, "those gays" are really a volatile bunch, with their parades and all. But seriously, I don't think anyone's trying to pick a fight here - just discussing an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Define love. Seriously!
Love (lŭv)
n.
A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.

Sexual passion.
Sexual intercourse.
A love affair.
An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Default The psychology of love.

Romantic love is not a natural phenomenon but a cultural construct, much like monogamy.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:47 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Define love. Seriously!
Changing our childs diaper for me when it is clearly my turn to change it..

Old 10-05-2007, 10:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
If the entire purpose of sexual intercourse is to achieve pregnancy, isn't sex with birth control, or any sex act that *cannot* achieve pregnancy, inherently immoral?

If you have sex for reasons other than birthing children, aren't you simply giving in to lustful desires?

How is an infertile heterosexual couple having sex any different than a gay couple having sex? Neither coupling can achieve a child, so why do it, rather than fulfilling lustful desires?

Further, aren't all sex acts rather than vaginal sex - technically sodomy?

Onan spilled his seed on the soil... but anywhere other than the womb has the same effect, so isn't the sin the same?

As a christian, shouldn't you be chaste unless you are actively trying to have a child? Wouldn't this limit you to having sex only once or twice a month, when the woman was fertile?
yes but its a lot of fun.
hemingway says children are gods way of punishing us for all that nasty sex.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-05-2007, 10:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Changing our childs diaper for me when it is clearly my turn to change it..
Agreed.

Which is why I questioned romantic love in my prior post.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:55 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Well, really, much of what we consider to be 'romance,' or 'romantic,' or 'romantic love' has arisen in the past few centuries and has especially boomed with the economic tie-ins to "romance" (Valentine's, make-up/personal effects, etc. etc. etc.).

Before that, lots of people (not all I'm sure) had arranged marriages or unioned together for convenience or survival. I mean, sure, the sex was great, but all this searching for 'the one!' is really new.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:29 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,693 times
So christians: do you consider oral sex with your spouse sodomy?
What about oral sex between same sex couples?

Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
So christians: do you consider oral sex with your spouse sodomy?
What about oral sex between same sex couples?
Satanoid, I can't speak for all of the Christians, but I do know that the UCMJ (Universal Code of Military Jutice) which has heavily influenced Christian laws forbids anything other than missionary style. That's right, you can actually go to jail in the military if they catch you doing anything other. Really, it's not enforced, and it's more of a way to find a reason to kick someone out or to use against gays. There is a sodomy clause, and there is also an adultery clause.

One quick note and this is just a joke: Why call it the missionary position? Obviously someone had to give it a name... maybe I should go on a missionary.....

Old 10-06-2007, 12:28 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Missionary position.....when the missionaries started going into the pacific islands, they found , to their horror, that the favored position was with the woman on her hands and knees, (ergo, doggie style)

Then part of their mission became to teach these poor unenlightened savages the proper way, the way approved by God. It became known as the missionary position. The other traditional way was therefore, sinful.

And that's your history lesson for today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality