Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:09 PM

179 posts, read 119,894 times

Advertisements

I really am interested in Christianity and would like to better understand the logic, the reason, and the basis for certain beliefs.

As far as I know, Jesus said to love and accept all sinners, right? He also proclaimed that all sin is equal, correct?

So why does it then seem like some groups are judged more harshly than others? It is true that it is not your place as followers of Christ to pass judgement or ration out "sin".

So this being the case, let me ask you - which groups in your mind are the greatest "sinners"?

1. Child molestors
2. Rapists
3. Murderers
4. Thiefs
5. Homosexuals
6. Adulterers
7. Liars

I've got to say of my limited experience with Christians and from the discussions on this board, it seems as though out of all these "sinners" homosexuals are consistently targeted.

Even within the church, you find the most passionate sermons revolve around homosexuality. Not murder. Not child abuse. Not rape. But homosexuality, which according to every psychological, medical, and human sexuality organization is a valid, normal, non changeable preference.

So please let me ask you - why gays?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:23 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sous777 View Post
I really am interested in Christianity and would like to better understand the logic, the reason, and the basis for certain beliefs.

As far as I know, Jesus said to love and accept all sinners, right? He also proclaimed that all sin is equal, correct?

So why does it then seem like some groups are judged more harshly than others? It is true that it is not your place as followers of Christ to pass judgement or ration out "sin".

So this being the case, let me ask you - which groups in your mind are the greatest "sinners"?

1. Child molestors
2. Rapists
3. Murderers
4. Thiefs
5. Homosexuals
6. Adulterers
7. Liars

I've got to say of my limited experience with Christians and from the discussions on this board, it seems as though out of all these "sinners" homosexuals are consistently targeted.

Even within the church, you find the most passionate sermons revolve around homosexuality. Not murder. Not child abuse. Not rape. But homosexuality, which according to every psychological, medical, and human sexuality organization is a valid, normal, non changeable preference.

So please let me ask you - why gays?

I must say that I believe all of those you listed are sin's and in God's eyes they are basically the same. My personal opinion with your homosexual question is: I think people harp on this because it is a new issue. Not that homosexuality is new, but much more welcomed or protected rights in out society then it was, say... 10 years ago. People dont go around bragging that they are a Child molestor. They do brag or at least show off the fact that they are gay. Now, I'm not here to say that I hate you if you are gay or that "Hey, your going to hell". I do respect your opinion if you are gay, however, in my Christian belief, I do believe that homosexuality is a sin. I am not saying that I dont curse or sin sometimes. I am saying that if I sin, and ask god to be forgiven, that I am. I believe that a gay person who is "active" can not ask for forgiveness becaues they are not trying to change that action. I do not believe that a gay person is an active christian because they are not living a christian life by their actions. That does not mean that they are not a Christian to me. Just like a murderer can be a christian but active in sin. I think only God knows what he will say to this even though the bible tells us its a sin. I dont know if this will make sence or if Im just rambeling on.... Its been a LONG day.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Thanks for that answer Gsd, I can respect your viewpoints. But still cannot understand them.

All I will say is that you will not find any psychological, medical, or human sexuality organizations say that murder, child abuse, or rape is a valid or normal preference the way they will with homosexuality.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:39 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
So much anger.

And yet it is nonbelievers who reject your views who get labeled "angry". So instead of answering the question you go off on one of your diatribies.

So typical .
Sous, you KNOW our opinions. You certainly know mine. Alpha is not going off on a diatribe. I think he just wants to know what you hope to accomplish here? Maybe you just enjoy the argument. My mother used to say that "Kay,kay, (insert real name here) you'd argue with a fence post."
So maybe you enjoy it too Sous. I don't know, but honestly, what do you expect us ? To say that you have convinced us by your rapier wit or debating skills that gays should have equal rights under the law or that homosexuality is not sinful??? Really, what are you trying to accomplish here?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:46 PM

Ideally, kay, I would like to convince you of both. But I know that won't likely happen.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Ideally, kay, I would like to convince you of both. But I know that won't likely happen.
Well, I like that answer! But you're right. I don't think it's likely to happen. But if it makes you feel any better, as I said before, you do defend your position well!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:55 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Well, murder, rape, child abusers, theives are all illegal to our current law.

And as Gsd said, the gay issue is just now really surfacing. Adultery and liars were bashed pretty hard in our history.

And, the adulters and liars did not go around trying to get laws changed to give them more rights.

Now, please do not go postal on me, one of my best friends is gay, has always been and will always be so I do not hate gays.

I consider being homosexual to be a sin just as any other sin is. The difference though is how we handle something once we have sinned.

A true Christian nature will feel guilt after sinning and will ask for forgiveness and for wisdom and discernment so in future he will be less likely to repeat the same mistake, although we are human and most always do repeat mistakes over and over till we learn better.

The Bible teaches that being gay is a sin, but gay people do not seem to think they are sinning, which says to me they are in denial or just plain don't know the Bible as well as they think.

Many Christians turn against gays because of the in your face attitude some have.

Someone posted on another thread something to the affect that God reaches out to all of us, and we have choices as to whether we accept Him or not, but there will come a time when we will no longer have that choice and if we have not committed to God by that time, the ability to choose at a later time will not exist.

We all sin, each and every day, but it is how we deal with the knowledge of our sins that grows our faith.

I sin, and get down right embarrassed at my sin, wishing I could hide from the awlful truth of the ugliness of it; but the only way to wash that sin away is to lay it at the feet of Jesus and ask for forgiveness and strength to overcome future temptation of that area where I am weak.

I hope I have helped a bit.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:00 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Yes All sin is equal
yes religions do tend to treat some more harshly than others
the more accurate interpretation is that penance for some sins is greater than others
if you ignore your moral compass when judging sin then you are left with the price of penance
To gain forgiveness for sin you have to pay penance
there are certain sins that are not covered for example suicide
because you cannot pay a penance for it once dead
there are other sins like Child molestation that the complexity of penance involve more than the person but also the families
these types of sins are usually considered most heinous because it is extremely difficult to undo what is done

Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Network TV executives are by far the worst.

Seriously though, discussions like this always remind me of the question: Which way would you rather die --- burning to death or drowning? To which I always answer: Neither.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:29 PM

91 posts, read 411,942 times
Some people think being homosexual is equal to being a child molester?!?!

Wow. I cannot imagine that anyone is so stupid as to think that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality