Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And yet instead of pointing out why my analogy fails, you make a blanket statement of superiority. Typical. At least I don't have to resort to cheap tricks to get a win. But then again,I don't need to feel superior.
You remind me of someone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hahahaha! LOL Perfect!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
Look, there is no way you would ever accept a Bible prophecy as being real because then you would actually have to consider that maybe there is a life beyond death, and maybe you will have to be accountable for your sins.
The reason we do not accept it as real is that you have not substantiated it. Making up biases and assigning them to us to explain away our not believing changes nothing. I personally will believe anything that is substantiated. Your claims.... are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
How is a faith system based upon a God who willingly sent his own son to die
But the mythology claims no such thing. The son did not "die". The son is sitting at the right hand of his daddy and ruling in eternal bliss and dominion. That is the opposite of "die" to me. The story might be worth telling, and hearing, had the Jesus character been offered eternal life but as the ultimate sacrifice he chose the True Death instead.

The story as it stands now however is a mockery of the term "sacrifice" and an insult to anyone and everyone who actually did give their life for a person, place or ideal.

Quote:
Free will still involves choice. We choose to sin. If God made us incapable of committing sin then we are back to a scenario of humans being programmed towards righteous. So why did God create humans? Because His desire is to have fellowship. Sin prevents that fellowship.
I do not think you are addressing the point people actually make on the issue. They are not questioning that free will comes with the potential for "sin". They are questioning the idea that this god you envision would get uppity, haughty or even surprised that his creation went the way it did. Why would it get annoyed, saddened and/or vengeful when it knew damn well what it was creating and what its creation would do and how it would run.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see where God directly created sin.
Exactly my point. The god you claim exists, based on nothing, created everything and knew exactly how it would run and progress. Every evil in the world therefore under this regime was premeditated, preordained, preknown and pre-allowed.

Unless this god of yours is not omnipotent and all knowing and actually had no idea how creation would proceed once it was set in motion?

Quote:
Disappointing to see your comments sink to the level of Nozz rhetoric.
The rhetoric you skipped over and have not replied to because it is too much for you you mean?

Quote:
There is no God so all creation should have equal right to life including insects, but yet you don't see anything wrong with applying superior power over them.
Well actually under our world view even this does not make sense because there is no actual such thing as "rights". They are a human construct. That does not mean it is not a valuable, cherished and important construct to us.... but a construct it is all the same.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
The answer would be that you are not being punished for Adam's specific sin. You inherited a sin nature which means your flesh and mind is easily prone towards sinful behavior, but that doesn't mean you are forced to commit sin. You must willfully consciously commit a sinful act. This is why there is no judgment or death penalty for people who don't have the mental capabilities to know that they are doing wrong like infants or mentally retarded people. God didn't make us sin. We do it ourselves.
According to the story, when Eve at the forbidden fruit, it brought sin into the world. Before that, Adam and Eve were sinless. If there was such a thing as personal accoutability, which is what you were talking about in your previous post, I would also have been born sinless with no "inherited sinful nature" to push me into a sinful direction. I should have had the same opportunity to remain innocent and sin-free as Eve did. Instead, I am who and what I am because of an act of disobedience committed by some woman thousands of years ago.

God even said that humans would be cursed unto the fourth generation - and obviously longer.

It should also be pointed out that God supposedly created the human species, meaning that whatever predispostion we have for sin, God put there. Humanity didn't develop that on our own. We were still a child-race when Eve ate that fruit.

And ... I disagree that we have to willfully and consciously commit sin. No doubt that many have unknowingly sinned or have been forced into having to choose one sin over another, thus removing the freedom not to sin. Christianity teaches that no one is free of sin; no one can live a sin-free life which means no matter how hard I try, I cannot avoid sinning, and that makes us robotic sinners.

Quote:
Free will still involves choice. We choose to sin.
This is only applicable if one of the choices is to not sin. According to scripture, that's impossible. Only Jesus supposedly had a sin-free life. No matter how hard we try, no matter what choices we make, we will eventually sin, and probably more than once. Ergo, even if we choose not to sin, we will still sin.

Quote:
If God made us incapable of committing sin then we are back to a scenario of humans being programmed towards righteous. So why did God create humans? Because His desire is to have fellowship. Sin prevents that fellowship.
If God wanted actual fellowship, then why NOT program us to lean toward righteousness? Does it really make sense to hate sin then create humanity with a predilection for sinful behavior? If I could create my own friends, I wouldn't imbue them with qualities I hate.

Quote:
I'm saying the free will was always there. We can see that free will even existed in heaven because 1/3 of the angels decided to rebel against their creator. But it sounds like you think free will is only possible if it is available at a god-like level where we can choose our bodies, environment or final destination.
But we don't have free will. The scripture even says as much. Like I keep trying to explain, the playing field here is not level. We are predisposed to sin, to choose the path that is often the most sinful of the various choices. However, part of that problem comes from the definition of sin. I've said multitudinous times that religion is, by and large, an anti-pleasure cult; this is a secondary* reason why religion has been so obsessed with sex. When the Bible was written, sex was probably the single-most enjoyable experience Bronze Age desert goatherders ever had. (That's even true for some modern dwellers, for some inexplicable reason).

Religion and deity worship has always been anti-pleasure and anti-worldliness because those things distract us from the cult. When you enjoy life, you don't need gods and religions and the strict, draconian rules, nor are you disenfranchised from society and thus -need- the cult for socialization. The idea behind sin is to keep people from having too much fun and not obeying the cult leaders (thus depriving them the power they want to have over you).

*The primary reason is demographic - to keep inheritance straight, to prevent assets of the tribe of Israel from falling into the hands of outsiders, to limit internecine fighting due to illigitemate children, etc.

One of the strongest insticts humans have is the avoidance of pain and the desire for pleasure. Religion has done its best to label as "sinful" anything that is pleasurable - from sex to eating to masturbation to the types of celebrations we have. In modern times, music, movies, books, television shows, and just about every form of entertainment conceivable has been criticized for being "sinful."

Of course we're going to lean toward fun and pleasure and not the melodramatic somberness of religious observance. The Epicureans had a much better outlook on life.

Quote:
Beyond someone just having a severe mental defect, a person raised in any environment still has to consciousness choose to commit a wrongful act. A kid that joins a street gang still has to decide if stealing the old lady's purse is good or bad thing to do. Our sin nature makes us very selfish being. Even someone who dedicates their life to acts of charity probably wouldn't do it if it made them feel bad.
I think the point I'm trying to make here is that, regardless of what we choose to do, we will always end up sinning. That pretty much negates free will. Of course, you think it has to do with the nature of God, but I think it has far more to do with the nature of cult leadership and power brokering.

Quote:
You can see the selfish part of sin nature even in an infant. For example, he or she doesn't care if mommy has to work two jobs. They will cry at 3am, and continue to cry or scream until desires are met. That's a part of sin nature, but the infant still has to grow up and consciousness make a decision to sin. That's where the free will comes in.
Uh no ... infants aren't being selfish when they cry at 3am. It's because they can't get out of bed and go to the bathroom on their own. They can't feed themselves. They can't change themselves out of that dirty diaper they're rolling around in. But more importantly, an infant has no conception of the "other." Infants do not come into a solid awareness of other people AS people for a good number of years. An infant isn't even cognizent that his/her parents are even people, much less the fact that the parents have to get up and work, and an infant is even less aware of what time it is.

To even suggest that a baby is sinning because it is being selfish at 3am is .... well, all I can say is that this kind of reasoning makes me happy that I'm not religious, and I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see where God directly created sin. He simply allowed the condition to exist where sin would be possible if the creation desired to rebel.
Then where did the concept of sin come from if not from God? Back "In the Beginning" when God was still sitting alone in his "outside of the space-time continuum" abode contemplating the creation of light, did sin exist with him there? Because unless it did, God would have had to create the concept of sin along with everything else. It didn't just arrive on its own.

Since God created all of the rules (most of which are utter lunacy), God therefore created sin. After all, "sin" is only what God says it is. Sin is not a separate entity that exists independently of God and humans. Since humans aren't making the rules, then I guess the only other entity that could have created sin is you-know-who.

Quote:
The difference is the people who make it to heaven will be the ones who love God and desire a relationship with Him. They realize one day that sin only bring temporary pleasure at best, and long lasting consequences. The wealthiest people on this planet are often the most miserable.
Well ... I know people like to make themselves feel better by assuming that the wealthiest people are often the most miserable. However, as someone who really does know what it's like to live in 3rd World poverty conditions (not as a missionary, mind you), I know that's a falsehood.

As for the rest of it, well ... my feeling on it is that, if there is a god and this god is truly the embodiment of love, whether or not we worship him and praise him and glorify his name won't matter in the slightest. It'll be what's in your heart that counts. Thus a good atheist has just as much chance of ending up in heaven as a good Christian. The restrictive rules, the exclusivity, and the rituals are all just the fluff of man-made religion.

Quote:
That's a pretty arrogant response considering you don't know what my future arguments will be. Disappointing to see your comments sink to the level of Nozz rhetoric.
For me, this might be the single most frustrating element of theistic/deistic debate. It's as if Christians simply can't wrap their minds around what it really means to be all-powerful AND infallible at the same time. Sure, it is hard to grasp since it is well beyond our human experiences. Nonetheless, it's not impossible to understand.

The reason why you will never make an accurate analogy comparing humans to God is because you're comparing a being of very limited perception to a being who knows everything, can do anything, and cannot make a mistake.

My statement is not at all arrogant. It is a statement of fact - you will never be able to construct an accurate analogy that compares God with humans - especially if that analogy is an attempt to hold humanity to a higher standard than God. I can't construct one either, so if you think I was insulting your intelligence, that wasn't my intent. I'm saying that no one can do it.

Let's suppose God and some random person, John, are taking a physics test. Both God and John fail.

Well, John might have failed for any number of reasons. He didn't study. He's too dumb to understand the material. Maybe John is only 6 years-old and physics is way too advanced for him. Maybe John smacked his head on the way to the test and developed amnesia. Maybe John is German and the test was written in English. Maybe John fell asleep during the test. Maybe John has test anxiety. We could speculate all day without exhausting all of the possible reasons why John failed.

But ... why did God fail? Can you explain why or how an all-powerful, all-knowing, infallible God who actually created the laws of physics failed a physics exam? There is only ONE possibility - because God wanted to fail it.

So why, then, would it make any degree of sense to -expect- John to get an A+ and then punish him for failing while letting God slide on his poor grade by pretending God isn't at all responsible?

Because that's precisely what Christians do. It's all humanity's fault - as if humanity, not God, created ourselves to be so prone to giving in to temptation.

Quote:
There is no God so all creation should have equal right to life including insects, but yet you don't see anything wrong with applying superior power over them.
No one has ever said that a lack of a God means all forms of life are equal. Who ever said such a thing? You've created a strawman to make your argument work.

Quote:
But you think it's wrong for God to be superior over us? Apparently so because apparently your crazy idea of a fair god would be to let you have eternal life and commit all the sin you want, consequence free.
I think it is wrong for a God to hand us this long list of ridiculously strict rules knowing full well we can't ever follow them all - and get angry with us when we can't. Meanwhile, God bullies his way through the Old Testament murdering, drowning, afflicting people with plague and other curses, committing genocide and ordering others to commit genocide in his name, colluding with Satan, destroying cities, sending bears to tear apart children, and on and on.

THAT, to me, is wrong. Why should humanity be held to standards so high that even God can't live up to them? That's ridiculous - a concept so idiotic that only a human being could have thought it up.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
The reason we do not accept it as real is that you have not substantiated it. Making up biases and assigning them to us to explain away our not believing changes nothing. I personally will believe anything that is substantiated. Your claims.... are not.
Unfortunately for you, history is on my side, and history shows that the prophecies came true. But don't let silly things like facts change your mind.

Quote:

I do not think you are addressing the point people actually make on the issue. They are not questioning that free will comes with the potential for "sin". They are questioning the idea that this god you envision would get uppity, haughty or even surprised that his creation went the way it did. Why would it get annoyed, saddened and/or vengeful when it knew damn well what it was creating and what its creation would do and how it would run.

You are posing a question that can not be answered because we don't know everything about God's nature. The Bible says we are created in his image. Perhaps that means God experiences emotions like we do. Let's say you knew that your last day at a job would be this Friday after 30 years of service. You knew it was going to happen. What you didn't know or expect was the variety of emotions felt when you cleaned out your office and walked out that door for the last time. You knew in advance that it would be a sad event, but you experienced the sensation of the emotions in the present. Maybe that is why God acts surprised or angry in the present when the acts of sin do take place.

The funny thing is I bet you wouldn't be too happy with the alternative. God doesn't create man. You don't get to exist. You don't get to experience the many pleasures and beauty in this physical realm that He created. Yeah there is a lot of darkness here too, but an average of 80 years of negative physical existence in exchange for an eternity of pain free righteous life? That's a good bargain if you ask me.

Quote:

The rhetoric you skipped over and have not replied to because it is too much for you you mean?
I have replied to several of your posts so please drop the illusion that you are scaring me off. I've explained before that I simply don't have enough spare time to answer every reply especially when you won't show me the courtesy of giving me a day or two to catch up.

Quote:

Well actually under our world view even this does not make sense because there is no actual such thing as "rights". They are a human construct. That does not mean it is not a valuable, cherished and important construct to us.... but a construct it is all the same.
The what is the basis for morality in your world?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:55 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
The whole 'we inherited a sin nature' is absurd given their own theology.

So did God create Adam and Eve with a sin nature since we inherited it from them?

If not then the act of sinning has nothing to do with an acquired 'nature' but with moral choice stemming from human nature. That is the focus of Genesis 1-3.

If it is the 'sin nature' that causes us to sin and Adam and Eve were not created with a 'sin nature' then how did they sin without a 'sin nature'?

Obviously the writer is focused on moral choice not the ontology of human nature. There is no 'sin nature' - this is just a phrase used for the ability to choose to sin - that is moral choice - which according to Genesis God did create the earthling with that ability. When Christians say 'sin nature' they are talking about an ontological trait that was acquired and that we are born with yet Adam and Eve lacked.

You can not have it both ways Christian.

By the way Adam and Even were not created immortal as is seen with the tree of life that they had access to and which subsequently was blocked. The reason the tree of life is not in focus is that the other tree is what the writer is focused on - moral choice. The world is not about humans focusing on immortality but morality. Their death was the result of God blocking the tree of life lest they live forever. Their immortality was contingent upon their morality. There was no ontological change in their human nature there was a change in their choice to obey or disobey. They chose the latter which brought death.

Every human still has that choice according to the writer of Genesis 1-3 yet now they are barred from the tree of life. So the contrast is not sin nature vs no sin nature but death and life based upon moral choice. If you want immortality back choose the moral framework of YHWH.

Anyway it amazes me how many Christians are so stuck on this sin nature and its logical problems with the intent of the writer of Genesis 1-3.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, history is on my side, and history shows that the prophecies came true. But don't let silly things like facts change your mind. .....
So if I showed you a number, or even one, prophesy that did not, and can not, come true, would that change your mind at all?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,300 times
Great discussion guys. I am a scientist and also a Christian, I will take a shot at your question. I believe the scriptures or bible were written by men under the direction of God. Genesis 1:1-31 gives an account of how God created the Heavens and the world. It took him six days to create the earth. Prior to that the earth was covered in darkness and water. God desired companionship, so He set out creating Heaven and the earth which included the first man (Adam). So the creation of the earth did not occur as a big bang as claimed by scientist. From my 18 years experience as a scientist, I know a collision or explosion is usually destructive and not creative. Thus, the big bang theory makes absolute no sense.
Back to the story of the creation, Adam sinned with His wife and because God is light, they could no longer enjoy the companionship of God (Gen 3:1-24). God wanted reconciliation so He sent His son Jesus Christ, to redeem men from sin and restore the companionship we had with Him (Romans 5:12-19).
Like I said, God is seeking companionship, and He is seeking your attention. Please repeat this prayers and mean it with all of your heart. Lord Jesus, I repent of my sin, Come into my heart, I will make you my Lord and savior. Amen.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorah112 View Post
Great discussion guys. I am a scientist and also a Christian, I will take a shot at your question. I believe the scriptures or bible were written by men under the direction of God. Genesis 1:1-31 gives an account of how God created the Heavens and the world. It took him six days to create the earth. Prior to that the earth was covered in darkness and water. God desired companionship, so He set out creating Heaven and the earth which included the first man (Adam). So the creation of the earth did not occur as a big bang as claimed by scientist. From my 18 years experience as a scientist, I know a collision or explosion is usually destructive and not creative. Thus, the big bang theory makes absolute no sense.
Back to the story of the creation, Adam sinned with His wife and because God is light, they could no longer enjoy the companionship of God (Gen 3:1-24). God wanted reconciliation so He sent His son Jesus Christ, to redeem men from sin and restore the companionship we had with Him (Romans 5:12-19).
Like I said, God is seeking companionship, and He is seeking your attention. Please repeat this prayers and mean it with all of your heart. Lord Jesus, I repent of my sin, Come into my heart, I will make you my Lord and savior. Amen.
What kind of scientist are you? I suspect that you are not a biologist, geologist, genealogist, or astrologer. A true scientist typically looks for evidence to support his/her beliefs. I'd be interested to see what evidence you have for your assertions.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:54 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
What kind of scientist are you? I suspect that you are not a biologist, geologist, genealogist, or astrologer. A true scientist typically looks for evidence to support his/her beliefs. I'd be interested to see what evidence you have for your assertions.
Astrologer? Genealogist? Maybe a cosmetologist. A true scientist's beliefs, or rather conclusions, will be steered by the evidence. From his concept of the BBT, I feel pretty safe in concluding he is not a Cosmologist, astronomer, astrophysicist, or particle physicist, or a theoretical physicist.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-29-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality