Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Gods don't exist, but their followers do - and those followers vote for stuff these imaginary beings tell them to. That in itself is worth being interested in, either from a psychological point of view or just as part of enlightened self-interest since we have to share the country with them.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 PM

588 posts, read 796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post

If you are not interested in God, then why are you so interested?
I recently finished a book about the history of the Indian gods Shiva and Vishnu. For me, it was quite interesting about how the beliefs and worship practices have evolved over the ages. The Japanese concept of Shintoism is also interesting to me. Therefore, personally speaking, my interest is not only in how your religion developed, but in many various beliefs in gods and religions.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Default I know why they are "interested"!

HaHaHaHaHa...give me a break!!
Those that purport that they are on some kind of "mission" to keep "God and God-related" from influencing our lives in a negative way...and then further purport that's the "reason" they are "interested in it".

Of course, this implies they thought methods like posting to internet forums was some sort of effective, or efficient, way to go about it. Which leads me to conclude they are either lying, or completely clueless.

So, I suppose I'm to view the tens of thousands, upon tens of thousands of posts to this site, and similar sites, as some way of trying to protect from the "harm of religion/God belief"?!
That they actually figure spending thousands of hours critiquing/criticizing the beliefs of a couple dozen Theist STRANGERS on some internet forum ...and "high fiving" and "repping" the others that join in on it...is reeeeeeeealy going to do a lot to "shield" from the "threat" religion and God belief pose to them personally and to society in general?!!
WOW! And who was the genius that told these people that posting to this forum and similar is a good method/vehicle to focus thousands of hours of one's life/effort on, if the implied goal was to achieve that end?!!

WAIT!...NO!...NO WAY! Nobody with any sense what-so-ever, that was trying to do something, would pick a method that was so foolishly inefficient and ineffective. NOBODY is that clueless!

BUT!...If that's the real case...I hereby issue the award for--"People that Spent the Most Time and Effort To Accomplish the Least of Their Goal".

But, Naaaaaaah!...none of them are not fooling anybody. They just feign "interest"...because they enjoy busting on people...and this is a way they've found to do it that they like, and it gives them anonymity so they can say things they would never say to someones' face.

Actually there really is no need to put up any reasons or excuses for it...cuz I'm totally hip to how twistedly enjoyable it is myself.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default A series of truths, lovingly presented just for you, "M"!

As in: pay attention here, Mickiel, since after all, you asked the original OP question, and you're NOT a troll, now are you? Hmmm?

Heck; you might even learn something. But I suspect you won't. You'll just proselytize and then skittle back into your basement cave, smirking at the disbelievers. BTW, we all understand why YOU in particular need your personally dedicated and designed religiosity so desperately.

You've made it obvious through your oh-so-predictable unwavering positions. You are unable to consider, much less even consider, any alternative perspectives. You like the sound of some of the basic myths, and they conveniently suit your end-game position, so you happily take that baggage on and advance. Sadly, it's like a Godly Monopolyâ„¢ game, but one that has no start nor end point. Plus no "collect $200 or heavenly blessings when you pass Go!" embellishment. You just return back to zero, collect some "olde ideologies" and then take yet another run at it all again!

Why do we intellectually interested atheists persist you wonder out loud? Several good answers here, some of which I'll recognize and comment on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I for one am interested in all types of mythology. In my view all religion is mythology.
Well said, mike, as usual! Christianity's like an interesting phrase, or position from a good book. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is much in the new these days due to it's topical relevance to our growing cultural chaos, which, btw, no God on a white horse can nor will arrive to gloriously "fix". You have my word on that one, "M"!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think that it is the intent behind the question. Sadly many questions posted here are not honest-but are meant to open the door to ridicule.
You got that one insightfully right, Mr5150, esp. the examples of "M"'s endlessly silly "Proofs of God", like a spent cigarette butt in the drain gutter, obviously that's Proof of God, right "M"? And so on.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprask View Post
I suppose that depends entirely upon the nature of that God. While I do not know if there is a God or not, I am 100% certain that character described as God in the bible is no such thing. That character has far too many purely human traits and foibles.

I suspect the true God, if such there be is more like the God of Baruch Spinoza.
Yes, as once-suspicious personalities, we are naturally drawn to some of the more popular but still old & wholly mistaken belief systems that effectively but only briefly staunched our inevitable intellectual progress. That which has finally (at last!) dragged our once pathologically crippled minds out of our personal dank mold-infested cave (though some still find it comforting down in mommy's basement, one lone 40W bulb swinging overhead like a dead deity's last enlightenment..).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ma...alypsis_ii.jpg

http://www.imageafter.com/dbase/imag...teriors001.jpg

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Many atheists are former theists and it is somehow therapeutic to explain our experience to theists, to help other deconverts, and also, to work out the details of our new belief system as a side effect.

Other atheists were never theists but that doesn't preclude an interest in existential or even spiritual questions.

Remember also that theism is not equal to evangelical Christianity; it is simply belief in god(s), so if atheists are secretly interested in deities, which one(s) exactly are they secretly interested in?

Finally, on the other side of the coin, atheism is simply a lack of belief in god(s), not an affected disinterest in a particular religion.

Speaking personally, I can say that I post here off and on because having come out of theism I feel I have some useful things to say about the experience and some valid opinions about both theism and atheism, and I enjoy discussing topics I know something about and have some experience of.

Those topics include, in other parts of the Internet, things like software development and pipe organs. By discussing software development I'm not signaling a secret desire to write a book with pencil and paper or do my bookkeeping with paper ledgers; by discussing pipe organs I'm not expressing my true interest in heavy metal rock and roll or a secret hatred of musical expression.

Similarly, by discussing my unbelief I'm not secretly wishing I were a believer.
So... are you reading and comprehending this excellent stuff, Mickiel? We're NOT secretly desirous and jealous closet evangelicals who are depressed or suppressing some fanciful latent Christian beliefs. Fact is, most of us see those ancient and illogical concepts for what their original intents were: to suppress and "handle" the tithing and frantically frightened peonage. To extract the most physical effort and down-to-their-last-farthing tithing.

All for the glorification of Christ, you understand. Oh and a better grade of house red wine for the pedophillic priest...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's hard NOT to have an interest in something that's everywhere. Especially when you don't believe it and wonder how people can get so crazy about beliefs in things that they discount reality in favor of a myth about what happens once they die. Life is what we have, it's here and real and undeniable. But some seem less interested in that than the after party fantasy.
And as a result, Ceece, they waste an enormous part of their precious allotment of life's time and intellectual resources seeking that elusive "something", or as Bill Shatner said so eloquently..."There's something.... some.......thing.... out on the wing!"

It was, of course, invisible to everyone else...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I'm interested in religion and know quite a bit about it, I just don't believe that it's a factual description of the actual universe. Not believing in it doesn't mean I'm disinterested in the phenomenon or its ramifications.
Oh I dunno, BimBam: Mickiel here would have you believe that there's always a little bit of truth behind every inquiry, and that, in truth, you do fully believe, down in your otherweise pagan heart! You crave Salvation, it appears....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
Lies, bigotry, complacent slavery, Orwellian brainwashing, and hate should be opposed in all their forms, but most especially when they are couched in the sugary, child-friendly cloak of false piety.

It is the duty of all good men.
You profess such ignorance, HH! You belittle the ultimate purpose of life itself, which, I'm told, is the continuous Glorification of the god Myth.

The sooner you realize that, the happier you'll be! Get with thuh progrum, HH!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Gods don't exist, but their followers do - and those followers vote for stuff these imaginary beings tell them to. That in itself is worth being interested in, either from a psychological point of view or just as part of enlightened self-interest since we have to share the country with them.
Modern Scientific inquiry tells us tov explore every avenue, every vestige of the greater mythologies, to best undertand the pathology. Only then can we perhaps deal with this rampant disease, and deal with it we are!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
My interest is purely fear based. I peek in on you Christians to see what you're up to like you would if you knew a dominant force was trying their best to take away your rights as a human being. I watch which laws you are pushing, look to see what new agenda you as a group are fighting for. This way I can make sure my voice is heard as well. You're the monkey on atheists back. Other religious groups in this country keep an eye out as well it's not just non believers, they want to make sure they are free to express their non-Christian religious belief.

Christians like you take hold of your dominance by large number theory and use it. Remember that thread? "We have the most so we dominate you." I have to make sure I know what's coming. You're a shark and I'm just a small fish. Makes sense don't you think?

I'm watching my back so to speak, not checking in on Jesus because I think he might actually be real. But I do know that fanatical Christians are real and try to get into the white house whenever they can.
So true. The dedicated faker Christians are everywhere, with their power-mongering and faith-based initiatives (I'll never forget "W" Bush's tactical error in announcing those programs early into his office. How disgusting and biased. Where was his "equal-time & funding support for honest atheists!" programs, one wonders?

Religious equality? Not on his watch. Nor, I'm here to assure, on anyone else's either!

Read the Constitution, folks! It's the law!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
My interest is purely fear based. I peak in on you Christians to see what your up to like you would if you knew a dominant force was trying their best to take away your rights as a human being. I watch which laws you are pushing, look to see what new agenda you as a group are fighting for. This way I can make sure my voice is heard as well. You're the monkey on atheists back. Other religious groups in this country keep an eye out as well it's not just non believers, they want to make sure they are free to express their non-Christian religious belief.

Christians like you take hold of your dominance by large number theory and use it. Remember that thread? "We have the most so we dominate you." I have to make sure I know what's coming. You're a shark and I'm just a small fish. Makes sense don't you think?

I'm watching my back so to speak, not checking in on Jesus because I think he might actually be real. But I do know that fanatical Christians are real and try to get into the white house whenever they can.

I am not a Christian and hold absolutely no desire to be one; you must find another comforting escape goat reasoning when you debate with me. The fear that God may be real is a frigthening mental conscious experience for many unbelievers; because they wonder why God has not personally manifested himself to them, and why he is ignoring them. Being ignored by God is a hard humbling experience to have to live through, and unbelief is often a reaction to being ignored by God.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Where is this "better life, consciousness, form of living and being" supposed to happen?, and when?.Does it begin with life? and why would that be considered any kind of inheritance..An inheritance from whom?..I see very few people that are 'destined" to freely have anything, except maybe the breath they need to keep them alive, and even that's not a given...what would "vastly improve" the life of a child born with cerebral palsy, that is not already being given by those caring for this child?..People are beginning to lose faith in a god who is so almighty powerful, yet does nothing to alleviate their pain and suffering now, while they are LIVING their lives...supposedly a great gift from that same god.

People were designed to loose faith in God; thats part of Gods plan and pathology. Gods future for humans begins in the future; all that we experience now simply leads to that fact.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I recently finished a book about the history of the Indian gods Shiva and Vishnu. For me, it was quite interesting about how the beliefs and worship practices have evolved over the ages. The Japanese concept of Shintoism is also interesting to me. Therefore, personally speaking, my interest is not only in how your religion developed, but in many various beliefs in gods and religions.

An honest view, I respect this!

The intrest is there, although many people put religion down and bash it mercilessly, they ARE interested; and that intrest is obvious to me, it is transparent and I see through it. Which is why I ask some of them; if you are not intrested in God, then why are you so interested? Religion is very interesting in its history, but Gods arua is even more interesting! I don';t see how someone couldnot be interested. There is no greater impact of intrest to humans than God, thats just a known fact!

But its a fact that many unbelievers would like to reduce and create a smaller illusioned version of it in their consciousness. And the effort that requires a great conscious energy to reduce it to a mythical illusion in a consciousness. And that attempt is of intrest to me.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
People were designed to loose faith in God; thats part of Gods plan and pathology. Gods future for humans begins in the future; all that we experience now simply leads to that fact.
If losing faith is part of Gods plan, then it's surely working, does Gods future include them?(those who've lost faith, and no longer believe). I've never had the pleasure of meeting this God, you must be very close and personal to know his pathology....is he suffering like we are?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
That is one of the great problems with the story arc of Christianity; justice, peace, security and happiness are always conveniently deferred to the future and/or the afterlife, where the claims about such things remain conveniently unverifiable. If you defer all closure to the afterlife you have no obligation to deliver on your promises in the present.

If I promise to pay a debt, and keep asserting that I really will pay it, but after I die, how far would that get me with the bank?

Why is it somehow different for Christianity to promise rewards to the just, punishment for the wicked, prosperity to the righteous, and tell us it's okay that the wicked prosper, the just are sidelined, the righteous in want, because someday it will all be made okay?

There's no way to bring "god's plan" into focus in the chaos of the present moment, it always must be seen from afar. Some of us call that "pie in the sky by and by".

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If losing faith is part of Gods plan, then it's surely working, does Gods future include them?(those who've lost faith, and no longer believe). I've never had the pleasure of meeting this God, you must be very close and personal to know his pathology....is he suffering like we are?

Gods future includes every human, no matter what. I am not close or personal with God, I only offer my views of him as I currently understand them. God is not suffering in my view, because he is supremely confident in what he is doing and has done and the outcome it will produce; we just are not confident of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality