Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There are three ways you can deal with it.

1. Re-interpret the Bible so the scriptures dealing with homosexuality don't really mean what they say

2. Ignore them: We are all sinners so inherently homosexuality is no different than any other sin

3. Remain celibate: The Bible condemns same-sex sex not homosexual orientation itself so same-sex attracted people who hold to the traditional view are required to remain celibate.
Or

4. Re-interpret the already re-interpreted translations of the biblical texts correctly within the context of the cultures and languages they were originally written in.

So instead of using modern 20th century English conservative translations that incorrectly use the word 'homosexuals', let's go back to the original languages and cultures to see what the writers were actually referring to.

Or

5. Grow up and put childish things like ancient superstitious beliefs behind you.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Yup, it does and it can be absolutely crippling. I can only speak from my experience as a sort of devout middle of the road fundamentalist evangelical protestant. I am sure there are different experiences from other theological backgrounds.

For me it started early. I made a profession of faith very early (4 years old) and then again at 7, because I wasn't sure that I was really saved, and didn't want to burn in hell. I remember at 9 or 10 years old not taking communion because part of the scripture used states that, "... he who eateth and drinketh unworthily eateth and drinketh damnation to himself...". I was petrified becasue I knew I was not worthy. It was drummed into me from day one! "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God...", "There is none righteous, no not one...", these are the lessons I learned. Before I was even born I was a sinner destined for hell, unworthy, unable to do anything right, unable to help myself.

Then as I got older I got hit with so much more guilt. Sermons telling me that every time I sinned, it was like I was crucifying Christ all over again. And when you really dig into it, sin is really anything less than God's perfection. Anytime you slack at work - sin. Get interested in a pretty girl - sin. Put your own needs ahead of anyone else's (especially the local congregation's) for any reason - sin.

It was. Even though the doctrine was that Christ has paid for all my sin and I was free from its guilt, the next thing that was often said was that now we had to show fruit. The groups I was a part of would never say that works were required for salvation, but that a holy and righteous life was an unavoidable product of salvation. As such, it boils down to the same thing. Whether you were saved because you were holy ( which you could never truly be) or the same holiness (again still unattainable) was what provided the assurance that you were saved, if you had 'sin' in your life, you needed to be worried.

I spent countless hours begging God's forgiveness for my sins and shortcomings, desperately pleading for some call on my life or sign that I was pursuing Him correctly. I taught, ministered, served, and witnessed all the while terrified that I was failing God, that my inability to live in the peace and righteousness that I was supposed to have as a result of my salvation was proof that I was not doing something right, that I was not saved after all. It was horrific!

I do think there is some correlation between the devoutness of one's faith (particularly the varieties I was in) and the amount of guilt. After all if you don't take it very seriously, then the guilt isn't very great.

Now not all religions do this to their adherents, and not even all variants of Christianity are like this. But the more closely they adhere to a literal, fundamentalist viewpoint, the more potential there is to have really debilitating effects on people like me who are wired in a kind of all or nothing, perfectionist way.

I imagine that folks who are gay deal with similar struggles. They either keep trying to not be gay, because to not persevere to the end is to burn in hell, or they come to a different understanding of God that does not automatically condemn them because of a desire they have no control over, or they do what I ended up doing and leaving altogether, when belief finally crumbles under the weight of reality, and you just can't force yourself to believe anymore.

-NoCapo
To me that sounds incredibly barbaric and abusive - especially to children.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Standing for freedom and equality is hardly "not standing for anything"

One can choose more rational and noble things to stand for than the prejudices of primitive men and man made gods...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That is such an intolerant statement. I feel oppressed.
How is that statement 'oppressing' you in any way?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
How is that statement 'oppressing' you in any way?
It was sarcasm. People love to preach tolerance to the extent that they're intolerant about it. To have an opinion in America is simply not tolerated.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:25 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It was sarcasm. People love to preach tolerance to the extent that they're intolerant about it. To have an opinion in America is simply not tolerated.
^Absolute Truth- the new minority, gotta be pc....follow the money to find out what's pc for the day.

Last edited by gabfest; 12-22-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
^Absolute Truth- the new minority, gotta be pc....follow the money to find out what's pc for the day.
Nothing to do with being 'PC'.

It's basic human empathy -'the golden rule' - 'do unto others'- 'love one another' etc. The main theme of the teachings of Jesus, yet so many fundamentalists never seem to 'get it'.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Nothing to do with being 'PC'.

It's basic human empathy -'the golden rule' - 'do unto others'- 'love one another' etc. The main theme of the teachings of Jesus, yet so many fundamentalists never seem to 'get it'.
What you are not getting this goes both ways.
What you may want taught to the children could be very different than what another may want taught to their children.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
What you are not getting this goes both ways.
What you may want taught to the children could be very different than what another may want taught to their children.
Are you saying you think okay to teach children to hate someone who is gay or lesbian just because they are gay or lesbian?

Is it okay to teach children to hate black people just because they are black?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Are you saying you think okay to teach children to hate someone who is gay or lesbian just because they are gay or lesbian?

Is it okay to teach children to hate black people just because they are black?
Do you have any clue of what tolerance means?

And I for one have no problemo with anyone expressing racial pride, it's the enforcement part that's a problem.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:55 AM

My stand, as a person that has room for a higher power, if I were gay, I wouldn't give a damn what you are anybody else thought of it (my parents are all dead) and I certainly would not stoop to trying re-write the Bible, c'mon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality