Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times

Advertisements

The problem I have with the Bible Documentary Theory Ph D's is that it's based on the existence of the transliterated lingua franca YHWH. Forget the vowels, it's still Tetragrammaton.
What I mean is that in this age of going to live on Planet Mars and nano-tek before we get gobbled up by our closest star, well it's so simple to follow the "documentary theory" reasoning if they would do this one thing.

Simply list the original 6007 occurrences of YHWH in the Hebrew Language. I did it myself but I used the DVD, Soncino Talmud to do it. I'm not important and I need the Documentary experts of the world to just do it. The persons who can establish this one time listing in Hebrew which cannot possibly ever change forevermore should get the Nobel Prize for Repairing the World. I would prefer an Interfaith UN organization to simply do it, right here in NYC. Probably at the Twin Towers Site. What a USA coup that would be in spirituality.

One step closer in making swearing to tell the truth on the Bible in court sane.

The other step is to only use a Bible that has the correct number of books. It's already been pointed out that original beloved King James Version included the Book of the Maccabees in the 1600's.

People who try to ban the Bible are ignorant of what the Bible really is all about. They've never ever read this universal best-selling book. All psychiatrists should use the Bible since it was forced on Western Civilization by Helena via her son Constantine. At least that's how I look at it all. Bullets used to convert the Western Hemisphere too. All the 4million members of the NRA should endorse this too.

Don't forget OT standing for Old Testament can also stand for Original Testament
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Am I the only one that had a hard time understanding that?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Am I the only one that had a hard time understanding that?
No.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
The problem I have with the Bible Documentary Theory Ph D's is that it's based on the existence of the transliterated lingua franca YHWH.
I'm not sure how break this to you, but the Documentary Theory has nothing to do with Yahweh.

The theory is based on the irrefutable fact that there are numerous contradictions in the Old Testament, in addition to duplicate, triplicate and quadruplet stories, a variety of writing styles, word usage and many other factors.

The odds increase daily that the original E, J and P versions will be found.

Personally, I'd like to see the original E version, or any one of the E authors.

Documenting...

Mircea

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm not sure how break this to you, but the Documentary Theory has nothing to do with Yahweh.

The theory is based on the irrefutable fact that there are numerous contradictions in the Old Testament, in addition to duplicate, triplicate and quadruplet stories, a variety of writing styles, word usage and many other factors.

The odds increase daily that the original E, J and P versions will be found.

Personally, I'd like to see the original E version, or any one of the E authors.

Documenting...

Mircea
I would not agree that the odds are increasing that the actual original sources will ever be found. There are many other ways to account for the makeup of the Hebrew Bible than with the Documentary Hypothesis, though, and the evidence increasingly favors viewing the J source as nothing more than fragments of pericopae from Genesis, rather than a version of the entire Pentateuch. E is also not well attested anywhere, and may not have existed at all. D is pretty well defined, as is P, but the rest is viewed these days more as pre- or post-P redactions or traditions. You might call this a mix between a Fragmentary Hypothesis and a Supplementary Hypothesis. Joel Baden is trying hard to defend the Documentary Hypothesis these days, but I think that one is one the way out.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,449 times
Documentary hypothesis/Genesis - Religion-wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality