Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times

Advertisements

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2450100.html

Quote:
The American Civil Liberties Union stepped in Thursday as school officials in Jackson City, Ohio are ignoring the demands of an atheist group, deciding Tuesday night during a board meeting to keep a painting of Jesus displayed in a local middle school.

The portrait, on display over an entrance at Jackson Middle School since 1947, recently came under fire when the Freedom From Religion Foundation received a complaint from an unnamed source. [more]
Unreal!!!!

THEY WANNA BE ATHEIST FINE,DONT CUT DOWN THOSE WHO ARENT!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Don't display religious iconography in government buildings. It is unconstitutional.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM

476 posts, read 467,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Don't display religious iconography in government buildings. It is unconstitutional.

What does a public school have to do with government establishing religion?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM

247 posts, read 236,908 times
We still have our "10 Commandments" outside of the courthouse in Austin (quite a few atheists are still sore about that one too), but then again we didn't have mobs of people wearing commandment lapel pins, holding protest signs screeching about religious persecution when the case was before the court either.

The defense for keeping such an "object" would be that it's presence doesn't constitute any sort of endorsement of religion, but rather has to do with tradition and historical significance.

Think about that.

If you are going to say that it's removal constitutes religious persecution, then you've shown the defense is false and it has everything to do with religious endorsement. I seem to see a lot of people wanting to have their cake and eat it too when cases like this come up; either that or they just don't mind breaking the ninth commandment when it comes to the defense.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
What does a public school have to do with government establishing religion?
Congress shall make no laws Respecting an (as in ANY) establishment of religion, such as Christianity. I think the public school is allowed to put a Jesus idol in its hallways if it wants, no problem... except that it is bothering some of the atheists there. Public money is going to support that institution, it should try to be more civil and less religiously radical. would it not being there bother the sensitive pagan-like Christians too much? Doubtful. But a portrait of Dawkins would bother them, so they should understand and try being civil.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM

476 posts, read 467,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Congress shall make no laws Respecting an (as in ANY) establishment of religion, such as Christianity. I think the public school is allowed to put a Jesus idol in its hallways if it wants, no problem... except that it is bothering some of the atheists there. Public money is going to support that institution, it should try to be more civil and less religiously radical. would it not being there bother the sensitive pagan-like Christians too much? Doubtful. But a portrait of Dawkins would bother them, so they should understand and try being civil.
Establishing and acknowledging a religion are two separate thing. Furthermore, cases such as the Hobby Lobby one show the other side of the coin were public money is being spent on things that go against Christian principles. If atheists can demand their money not be spent on anything remotely religious, why can't Christians refuse to pay taxes for things like the morning after pill?

Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
I think a more effective tactic in this case might be for someone to find a picture of Ganesha and present it to the school to be placed beside the picture of Jesus. Wonder what the school would do? I wonder if their are any Hindus at the school who might do such a presentation.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
No it is NOT. That is the public square and freedom of religious EXPRESSION is specifically allowed in the public square. What good would political free speech be if it were not allowed in the public square . . . especially government venues? Religious expression is ALSO specifically protected from government interference . . . just like political speech.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-14-2013 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
The constitution supports freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. The Freedom From Religion group can stomp their feet all they want, they will never be free from religions as long as there are religions in existence.
I like the idea of putting Ganesh up as well. And I would wager that somewhere on the walls of the school is a picture of Zues or Athena. Pictures are just pictures, it's not like the school is handing out bibles.
I'm not Christian, but I hope the school gets to keep their picture that has been hanging there since 1947.
I did not read the article yet, does it mention if those in this 'freedom' group have children in attendance at the school.
If they don't have any personal connection to the school, then they really have no business being there.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality