Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Pictures of Jesus, or any other religious icon, regardless of where they're displayed, provide legitimacy to these mystical beliefs, unless the picture is captioned with a "Fictional Character" label. I see no better place to begin than places that are so instrumental in the intellectual development of our children. We need to be teaching them just the opposite, to think critically instead of following what they're programmed to believe at church, synagogue, or mosque.

So, you're OK with funding religious symbols through your tax payments?
Putting "Fictional Character" on a picture of Jesus would be a great insult to Christians and would be a corrupt waste of tax dollars.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The constitution supports freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.
It supports both actually. You can't be free to practice religion if you can't also be free to not practice/endorse religion.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,070,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's not wrong to put a picture up. That's my point. There is no prohibition of it.
It's ethically wrong, and your comment has convinced me... The government should stop funding this school, it shows itself to be filled with factionist Christians who want nothing more than to worship ink and wood mounted on their tax-wasting walls.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Putting "Fictional Character" on a picture of Jesus would be a great insult to Christians and would be a corrupt waste of tax dollars.
Yes, but it would be a more accurate portrayal. Besides, claiming this character is anything but fictional, without any evidence, is an insult to my intelligence. The BEST solution would be to not put any picture up relating to religion. The government should remain neutral.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
The Constitution says that Congress can't establish a religion. This isn't an act of Congress and they aren't establishing anything. It's a local school hanging a picture.
The Supreme Court incorporated the 1st Amendment in Everson v. Board of Education. It applies to every level of government and public school systems.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
If the majority of the people in the area are ok with it, sure. But then, I actually think the Founding Fathers got it right when they said that local government should be able to make that kind of decisions.
Our laws don't cater to whim of the majority.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
If the majority of the people in the area are ok with it, sure.
And if it's your child's school and there's no picture of Jesus, just the Maharish. Your child is walking under a big ol' portrait of the Maharish every day on his way to math in his public school. You still down with that?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And if it's your child's school and there's no picture of Jesus, just the Maharish. Your child is walking under a big ol' portrait of the Maharish every day on his way to math in his public school. You still down with that?
If I live in an area where 90-95% of the people want that, so be it. That was the vision of the Founding Fathers.

As it was a few years ago my kid's "Winter Play" was about a "Winter Wizard". I'm not sure that's any better. They couldn't even do a child's play about Santa Claus.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,676,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It supports both actually. You can't be free to practice religion if you can't also be free to not practice/endorse religion.
Freedom OF religion is the freedom to practice or not.
The constitution does not include freedom from religion, which means protection from being subjected to religion.
Religion is all around us and we cannot escape it.
The freedom FROM religion cannot be made a law or it would violate freedom of religion as well as freedom of speech.
Many think freedom of is the same as freedom from, but they are very different.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
What does a public school have to do with government establishing religion?
A public school is funded with public tax dollars. Children are mandated to go (with some exceptions for home schooling, etc). The teachers and staff are government (city, county or state) employees working with a curriculum that is determined at the state level with guidelines from the federal department of education.

So a school is very much a government institution, and by putting a religious icon/picture/symbol in a position of primacy, the government (school) is establishing that icon as singularly important.

For those of you who say it is ok to establish a religion if 90% of the population agree, I say that once again you are in violation of the constitution. We do not have rights unless the majority disagree with us, we have rights PERIOD. If 90% of the population votes to enslave you, it is still wrong.

Our government should never ostracise any of its citizens, and by advocating for the display of a particular religion, you are ostracizing everyone who does not believe in that religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.