Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Thoughts? How do we determine what a "denomination" is, or if it's a separate religion?

Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Thoughts? How do we determine what a "denomination" is, or if it's a separate religion?
I suppose you could call all denominations separate religions, but it's really a fine line you're drawing when you do. As far as I know, Christianity is the only religion that uses the word "denomination" to make a distinction between different smaller groups within a larger group. I could be wrong, but I don't think Jews or Muslims use the word at all. As far as I'm concerned, if a denomination self-identifies as "Christian," it's "Christian." I mean what gives any Christian denomination the right to exclude any other denomination from the group? If a group of people worship Jesus Christ, then that group is a Christian denomination. Not really rocket science.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
I suppose it has a similar spectrum as that of dialects vs. language. A lot of turns a dialect into a separate language is time - over time, with enough changes, the dialect can no longer be said to be the same thing as the "mother" language. An analog would be Christianity coming out of Judaism. Spanish out of Latin.

But the other thing to consider are those dialects which are called separate languages for political or personal reasons. Is Mormonism a denomination of Christianity, or something else?

Case in point: growing up, I've always considered Catholicism and Protestantism to be versions of Christianity. Denominations. I spent some time in Mexico a few years back, and a family friend's son had "converted" from Catholicism to some form of Protestantism. To my Mexican friends, he basically changed religions. There was no malice or judgment; they simply believed that the differences were too vast. He went from being a Catholic to being a Christian.

So a lot of it will depends on societal ideas about what makes something a denomination or sect vs. a whole new religion.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:57 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
As a practical matter in America . . . a Christian denomination is the one its members give money to in the name of Christ.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:53 PM

Are Judaism and Christianity the same religion? What do you guys think?

Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Denominations tend to adhere to the same or very similar basic beliefs. A person can typically move between denominations without a great deal of difficulty. A Baptist can move into a Methodist or Presbyterian congregation without a whole lot of change. But to move from Christianity into Judaism, Hinduism, or Islam requires a major change of beliefs about God, Scripture, the afterlife, and many other issues.

Quote:
I'd certainly say they are different religions. It's been my experience that the beliefs of the two cannot be reconciled.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Denominations tend to adhere to the same or very similar basic beliefs. A person can typically move between denominations without a great deal of difficulty. A Baptist can move into a Methodist or Presbyterian congregation without a whole lot of change. But to move from Christianity into Judaism, Hinduism, or Islam requires a major change of beliefs about God, Scripture, the afterlife, and many other issues.

I'd certainly say they are different religions. It's been my experience that the beliefs of the two cannot be reconciled.
Why? What is the difference? Dont they both claim to worship God?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all "Abrahamic faiths," since they all worship "the God of Abraham." That doesn't mean they all see Him in the same way. All three, however, would say that they worship the same God as Abraham did, and to an extent, they do. And all three see Jesus Christ differently. Christians see Him as "the Son of God." Muslims see Him as a great prophet. They have a great deal of love and admiration for Him, but they don't believe He is God's Son (or that God even has a Son). They don't see Him as our Savior. Jews, on the other hand -- at least for the most part -- see Jesus Christ as a Jewish heretic who proclaimed Himself to be the Son of God when nothing could be further from the truth.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam do all have certain things in common, though, and these things distinguish them from Eastern religions, Dharmic religions, etc. It's really all a matter of semantics and is all too often a result of the "us" and "them" mentality of us human beings. Everybody wants to be right, which means everybody else has to be wrong.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
Quote:
No, not at all. Christianity is everything Judaism is not.

Quote:
Why? What is the difference? Dont they both claim to worship God?
Judaism believes in the eternal Omnipotent Creator of the Universe who detailed His laws for mankind, especially the Jewish people, in the Torah.

Christianity believes in a human being, deemed to be a deity of some sort who invalidated the Torah, for some reason.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:16 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Related religions, but certainly separate. I have trouble believing this question is actually perplexing you though. Care to give your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality