Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,447,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
Take another look.. and then tell me... was it a statement......... or a question.. ?

And.. if you haven't REALLY heard something..... then how can it be silly.. ?

I'm wondering.

----

"Hearing is the ability to collect, process and interpret sound. Sound vibrations travel through air, water, or solids in the form of pressure waves. When a sound wave hits a flexible object such as the eardrum it causes it to vibrate, which begins the process of hearing. The process of hearing involves the conversion of acoustical energy (sound waves) to mechanical, hydraulic, chemical, and finally electrical energy where the signal reaches the brain and is interpreted."

Hearing - Sound, Animal Hearing, Human Hearing

-
You tell me if it a question or a statement! It was your post. I have heard that question many times and it is a useless question. It does not make sense. It is silly because it does not pertain to reality. It does not even pertain to your post, because if Jesus made no influence (or sound)on the public of his day how has his message become what it is today? The whole world knows of Christianity and the gospel of Christ. It is written in Luke 12: 3: "Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops."

A tree is not silly, the noise it makes is not silly. It is the questioning whether it makes a noise when it falls that is silly.

There is evidence of Jesus' life it is called the new testament. He was influential look around... there is a Christian Church on every corner, a bible in every hotel room, a missionary to every area of every country in the world. I think that is an influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM

249 posts, read 532,634 times
Default For if the first covenant had been faultless...... Errors.. what errors.. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
It sounds like you want us to read between the lines and allow the bible to be wrong, yet we are also suppose to accept as being error free.
Things are some times not what they seem to be..

That's what I'm saying.

Taken as a whole.. the bible isn't wrong.

Is it error free.. ?

NO

There are many errors made by translators.

There are also many errors being taught.. due to some people's poor reading comprehension.

But.. just as science corrects the errors it makes.. so does religion....... but it takes time.

A good example is when David said.. Moses spoke rashly.. and.. those who speak rashly are lible to make errors.

However.. the NT corrects that error...

Just as Eistein corrected the error of the concept of absolute time.

His NT.. was that time was relative.

Science.. religion........ its the same.

Moses made errors.. and Jesus corrected them.

-----

“For they embittered his spirit
And he began to speak rashly with his lips.”

Psalms 106:33

"Certainly, then, there occurs a setting aside of the proceeding commandment on account of its weakness and ineffectiveness.

For the law made nothing perfect but the bringing in besides of a better hope did, through which we are drawing near to God.

For if the first covenant had been faultless. No place would have been sought for a second."

Hebrews 7:18

-

Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
You tell me if it a question or a statement! It was your post. I have heard that question many times and it is a useless question. It does not make sense. It is silly because it does not pertain to reality.

"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" is a philosophical riddle that raises questions regarding observation and knowledge of reality."

If a tree falls in a forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-

It's not silly........... so there... ;-p

_

Last edited by accelerator; 08-07-2008 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 AM

23 posts, read 44,899 times
Well I do believe that Jesus existed, but I do not agree with over bearing Christians who believe their way is the only way. Afterall, where did the souls go before Jesus was born who never had a chance to learn or meet Jesus, ions before he was born, did they all go to hell?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Nothing, except that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being publicized, and in this I rejoice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
There is evidence of Jesus' life it is called the new testament. He was influential look around... there is a Christian Church on every corner, a bible in every hotel room, a missionary to every area of every country in the world. I think that is an influence.

"True, some are preaching the Christ through envy and rivalry, but others also through goodwill.

The latter are publicizing the Christ out of love, for they know I am set here for the defense of the good news; but the former do it out of contentiousness, not with a pure motive, for they are supposing to stir up tribulation for me in my prison bonds.

What then?

Nothing, except that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being publicized, and in this I rejoice. In fact, I will also keep on rejoicing,”

Philippians 1:15

Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM

896 posts, read 1,867,040 times
[quote=accelerator;4766644]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post

What contradictions.. ?
How many do you want?

Just to get you started;

Samuel 15:2,3 "Thus saith the Lord . . . Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

JAS 5:11 "The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy."

Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Default For, though I am free from all persons, I have made myself the

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
How many do you want?

Just to get you started;

Samuel 15:2,3 "Thus saith the Lord . . . Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

JAS 5:11 "The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy."
See my post above.. "For if the first covenant had been faultless.."

I have already covered this OT made obsolete by NT argument.

The good thing about contradictions.. is they make you think.. in order to resolve them.

There are also contradictions in science..

Can we travel faster than light.. or can’t we.

Relativity says….. yes……... and no.

Does that mean we should doubt it.. ?

Contradictions are part of the thought process..

Once resolved.. they go away.

In this sense.. they are apparent.. but not actual.

Here's a good example..

-----

“For, though I am free from all persons, I have made myself the
slave to all, that I may gain the most persons.

And so to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews;
to those under law I became as under law, though I myself am not
under law, that I might gain those under law.

To those without law I became as without law, although I am
not without law toward God but under law toward Christ, that I
might gain those without law.

To the weak I became weak, that I might gain the weak. I have
become all things to people of all sorts, that I might by all means
save some.”

1Corinthian 9:19

-

So.. are there contradictions in the bible.. ?

Yes..

Does that matter..?

Why should it.. ?

If you like.. start a new thread.. Bible Contradictions.. and we can discuss this further.

Right now I'm off to bed.

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

-

Last edited by accelerator; 08-07-2008 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
The good thing about contradictions.. is they make you think.. in order to resolve them.
How can you resolve them? By taking a bible and translating it to suit your own beliefs?

Quote:
There are also contradictions in science..
Off topic..... we're talking about bible contradictions and whether a Jesus as outlined in that collection of books actually existed.

Quote:
So.. are there contradictions in the bible.. ?

Yes..

Does that matter..?

Why should it.. ?
Because so many of them are of such glaring proportions that they throw out the bible as a reliable source of information.

Ergo, can the bible prove that someone called Jesus existed or that he done all or any of the things attributed to him?

A resounding "No!".

Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 55,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
That's been known for hundreds of years
There are recent findings. I don't have the website to back it up but if you email later I can provide that information for you.

It was an act of man. Have a read of this and other sites.

You don't feel God had any part of this?

Do you mean new studies?
It is new discoveries but same bible facts, just adding up that the bible stories are true.

Last edited by JeSuSisGoD; 08-08-2008 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuSisGoD View Post
I mean new discoveries but same bible facts.
Sources for these 'new discoveries', please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality