Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:28 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,142,277 times

Advertisements

Why Rifle WHY?!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,263 times
I've always had a problem with the "global flood story", where did all that water go, all that fresh water would have desalinated the oceans and the salt water creatures would have died. Why didn't Noah save any plants wouldn't they have died also. Oh, the questions that can not be answered. However, the fundamentalist have an answer, "God can do anything God chooses to do" God's a magician or a wizard, because this has to be magic.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'm surprised that someone purporting to run a site intended to uphold Bible truth should have so woefully overlooked the unreliability of C 14 dating, unless of course it supports (with God's help) a biblical date (I'd have made a stunning Theist )

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I've always had a problem with the "global flood story", where did all that water go, all that fresh water would have desalinated the oceans and the salt water creatures would have died. Why didn't Noah save any plants wouldn't they have died also. Oh, the questions that can not be answered. However, the fundamentalist have an answer, "God can do anything God chooses to do" God's a magician or a wizard, because this has to be magic.
Yes...I post with fear and trembling as I dread yet another 80 - page Flood and Ark thread ...the thing is that, once you get God to wave a majick wand to make the flood waters or some equally knotty problem disappear, then one has to ask why the Ark was necessary anyway? Indeed, why was Noah? Why not just dump the whole boiling in the incinerator (just to make sure it was working ok, ready for all those souls predestined to fail the stringent tests for True faith) and start with a new Adam and keep that damn' tree well out of the way.

In fact, why not do that in the first place?

On the other hand, if one keeps God and his magic wand out of it and Noah has to develop advanced metalworking skills in order to iron frame a boat that otherwise (at over 400 ft) would come apart, design an imaginative system of stone sea -anchors to stop the overgrown pencil -case rolling fit to turn the floating zoo into a hell of surging puke, work out a way of sexing dinosaur -eggs in order to have two of each dinosaur without working out how to house them and stop them eating otherwise irreplaceable breeding pairs and I needn't go into the need for an elaborate elevator system to deal with the poo -tonnage and the importation of Andean freeze -drying technology to make sure the Koalas got fed, well, to be honest I suppose one has to argue a couple of hints from God to explain why Noah thought it was needful to do all that in the first place.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:31 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I'm surprised that someone purporting to run a site intended to uphold Bible truth should have so woefully overlooked the unreliability of C 14 dating, unless of course it supports (with God's help) a biblical date (I'd have made a stunning Theist )
You replied as I expected. I do appreciate you being civil about it.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,049,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Every civilization on earth has the flood story. It happened.
They also have stories of gods having sex with each other (or themselves) to create various things: people, mountains, the universe, etc.

I guess that also happened, eh? I'm just using your logic and extending it to another natural conclusion one could reach to show how it doesn't work as a good argument or "proof".

Just because a common folkloristic theme can be found in multiple civilizations does not mean the story is true - it merely means that it's a common folkloristic theme and popular story that either arose independently because of human nature or from contact with each other. That is all. We are all humans, and we share certain traits and subconscious influences. This does not a fact make, but a series of stories it may make.

Even so - there's no reason to use this to say "Well, the Biblical Flood story is proven by the mass glut of other flood stories, but there's one important difference: The Biblical Flood story is actually the REAL version of it. The rest are just imitations and inspired by the devil." With the discovery of flood stories predating the date given by the Biblical Account, it has been clear for over a hundred years that the Biblical Flood Story is one of the youngest accounts of it, not to mention that it was cobbled together from two separate sources (the Priestly [P] Document and the Yahwist [J] Document) and only reached it's present form in the Bible after this editing together. Taken separately, the story has very different details and elements that contradict each other.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,006,263 times
Have you ever done the math as to how many gallons of water would have to fall for 40 days to flood the Earth. The number is staggering, 2,259,140,008,019,188,125 gallons. Once that water is here, it never leaves, so where did it go.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,271 times
What will the stories regarding Katrina be in a few thousand years? How about the Tsunamis? WE have modern recording methods not stories handed down generation to generation.

Was there A flood? Sure, but all the animals on earth for an extended period?? How did all the animals that were/are interdependent on each other in an ecosystem survive? Humans are but a few of the creatures on Earth that are true omnivores.

Maybe the "flood" story isn't about flesh and blood animals and a boat but DNA/RNA and a spaceship?

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 07-31-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,432,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
What will the stories regarding Katrina be in a few thousand years?
Katrina was clearly a myth.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Katrina was clearly a myth.
The story that it was sent by God as a punishment surely is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality