Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
But the fact is that the bible does teach a seven day creation, not a day is really a thousand years, but an actually EVENING TO MORNING day, and to say other wise it to read into the words meanings which are not there.

If you are going to say the bible is true then stand by what it says, and dont try to make it say what it shouldl say.
Finally something we can agree on!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
"...there was evening and there was morning..."

You dont put limits on what god can do ?

It is always very interesting to me how theist work so very hard to explain away things the bible says. Especially when we simply know better, like the entire universe being created in seven days.

But the fact is that the bible does teach a seven day creation, not a day is really a thousand years, but an actually EVENING TO MORNING day, and to say other wise it to read into the words meanings which are not there.

If you are going to say the bible is true then stand by what it says, and dont try to make it say what it shouldl say.
Correct...I do not put limits on what God can do. If it was a morning-to-evening, 24 hour day, then it was. If by "day", God meant something we can't understand, that's ok too. I'm not trying to explain anything away. Actually quite the opposite...I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I just don't have all the answers.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 AM

249 posts, read 532,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I agree with part of your statement...I tend to think that humans were created "as is". However, I hesitate to put any limits on what God considers "a day", or for that matter "7 days".

“However, let this one fact not be escaping your notice, that one day is with God as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.” - 2Peter 3.8

Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
I don't think it really matters if any of us put limits on God's intentions, because it seems highly unlikely that God would comply with the limits we impose. I do imagine that God gets some good belly laughs at our silly arguments and discussions. What is.... IS, no matter what any of us believe.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-14-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake as usual

Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
Those of you who asseverate that biblical accounts of information are accurate are obviously inconversant of the fact that the bible has been wrong in every scientific, logical, and objective "theory" it has proposed.

Now, if this lexicon truly is the word of god - the all-knowing, supernatural, creator of the universe - why then, is it wrong on so many accounts? It makes absolutely no sense that god wouldn't have a grasp of basic fundamental scientific realities. Afterall, it was he, you assert, who is responsible for life itself.

Wouldn't you expect god to have knowledge of things we didn't know at the time the bible was written - like evolution, the cosmos, and mathematical formulas - instead of just restating information that was already known back then? The bible does not propose a single scientific reality that was not already known and believed to be true when the book was written (and it's wrong on many of these).

For example, the bible gives a geocentric view of the solar system, suggesting that the moon gives off it's own light. We know that the moon actually reflects off the sun. The bible also suggests a flat Earth, and even after it was discovered otherwise, church fathers continued to suggest that the Earth wasn't round. Furthermore, astoundingly, the bible's account of Pi is off by roughly five percent - it states it as 3, we know, however, that it's actually 3.14159 to infinity.

The bible provides knowledge of a variety of things which were already known at the time, such as medicinal practices, food, agriculture, animals (much of which have been proven inaccurate), and ecology (much of which have been proven inaccurate). How this equates to a divinely inspired work is beyond me. The bible is merely a book written by men thousands of years ago, rewritten, and subsequently modified, and interpreted by many more.

Last edited by trnmeon; 04-14-2008 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,889,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Those of you who asseverate that biblical accounts of information is accurate are obviously inconversant of the fact that the bible has been wrong in every scientific, logical, and objective "theory" it has proposed.

Now, if this lexicon truly is the word of god - the all-knowing, supernatural, creator of the universe - why then, is it wrong on so many accounts? It makes absolutely no sense that god wouldn't have a grasp of basic fundamental scientific realities. Afterall, it was he, you assert, who is responsible for life itself.

Wouldn't you expect god to have knowledge of things we didn't know at the time the bible was written - like evolution, the cosmos, and mathematical formulas - instead of just restating information that was already known back then? The bible does not propose a single scientific reality that was not already known and believed to be true when the book was written (and it's wrong on many of these).

For example, the bible gives a geocentric view of the solar system, suggesting that the moon gives off it's own light. We know that the moon actually reflects off the sun. The bible also suggests a flat Earth, and even after it was discovered otherwise, church fathers continued to suggest that the Earth wasn't round.

The bible provides knowledge of a variety of things which were already known at the time, such as medicinal practices, food, agriculture, animals (much of which have been proven inaccurate), and ecology (much of which have been proven inaccurate). How this equates to a divinely inspired work is beyond me. The bible is merely a book written by men thousands of years ago, rewritten, and subsequently modified, and interpreted by many more.
This dead horse has been beaten so long it's ridiculous.

The bible does not teach the things you mention anymore than NASA believe that the sun revolves around the earth.

Don't you have information provided to you on the time the sun rises and the time the sun sets?

If I asked you if you saw the beautiful sun rise this morning would you make fun of me for being a moron?

No. I don't think you would.

You'd realize the language I was speaking and what I meant.

Why do you unequally practice those skills when biblical texts are involved?

Seems to be a huge double standard.....

Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM

249 posts, read 532,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Those of you who asseverate that biblical accounts of information are accurate are obviously inconversant of the fact that the bible has been wrong in every scientific, logical, and objective "theory" it has proposed.

“O my people, those leading you on are causing you to wander, and the way of your paths they have confused. And those who are leading this people on prove to be the ones causing them to wander; and those of them who are being led on, the ones who are being confused.”

Isaiah 3:12 + 9:16

True.. or false.. ?

-

Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yup...Just as plausible as the faeries in my garden I guess.
If you believe they are there, and I can't prove that they're not...I suppose they must exist.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:53 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times
Supporting is not the word. Something that's true is not debatable.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
I think the OP was asking whether or not religious people accept the reality that evolution is the truth and is what occurs, not creationism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality