Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is evolutionary theory accurate?
Yes. I believe the evolutionary theory is accurate. 210 58.82%
Yes. But I think aspects of the theory is flawed. 58 16.25%
No. I think it's completely flawed. 18 5.04%
No. I believe in creationism. 65 18.21%
I don't know. 6 1.68%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 AM

22 posts, read 66,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
What happened to the dinosaurs? Think about it.
Then where are the fossils?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
ShawnSabre wrote:
Quote:
for one, where are all the smaller horses and smaller zebras?
They're in museums in many parts of the world just like the dinasaur fossils. I visited an interesting museum in Nebraska that has many small fossil horses that are ancestors of the modern horse we're familiar with today. Many people don't realize that horses evolved in North America and we also had animals that you might associate with Africa such as camels and hippos. It's pretty hard to argue against that when you can visit an excavation site like the one I mentioned in Nebraska and see them partially excavated but still in the ground. If you make an effort to learn about this subject you'll be surprised at how much we really know about the evolution of all living things, their placement in geologic time and countless fossils that are physical evidence that they existed and how they evolved into modern species or went extinct.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:11 PM

245 posts, read 625,399 times
the problem with inteligent design is in our flaws. Had we not interrupted evolution by coddeling the weak I am sure in time we would develop a lower back more suitable to carry our wiegh and orgens more effective at preforming there funtion in our new upright method of walking. uninteligent design would be more accurate

Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnSabre View Post
Then where are the fossils?
As MontanaGuy said, there are numerous fossils of what you claim. What's funny is that when presented with, say, the evidence for horse evolution, a common tactic is to pick an entirely different species of animal and say "Oh yeah, well what about this?!?! There's no fossil evidence for this species!!!!" Again, when proven wrong, the person jumps to another species and says "Aha!! I got you this time! There are no such fossils showing the evolution of this creature/animal!!" It's called 'moving the goalposts'. It's a common tactic used by Creationists that no matter what evidence is presented it simply isn't good enough.

To answer your question, if you go to the Museum of Natural Science and History in New York City, they have an absolutely fantastic display on the evolution of the horse. They show numerous "in-betweens" that you ask for.

One final thing. If we had EVERY single fossil for EVERY single creature we would not know what was what and we would have no way of classifying it. Let me put it this way.

Go out and take a look at a giant tree sometime. An oak is a good example because they tend to grow branches at all levels of the tree. Now, imagine that that tree is the tree of life. All as one, it constitutes the entire tree. All the branches, twigs, leaves, and nubs all constitute part of the tree. Now, picture you being able to take one cut in the tree and examining that part of it. Would you take one branch? One twig? Or would you cut at the very base of the tree and fell it?

If you took one branch you'd still understand that that branch came from a tree. You'd know that there were a serious of steps leading up to the formation of that branch and that it belonged to an overall "bigger chunk of tree". Similarly, if you were to only cut a twig, you'd know that that twig came from a gradual series of steps from a branch that came from a gradual series of steps from a tree that grew to make that branch from a gradual series of steps. Each branch, twig, etc... is all related to the tree. Some may be closer than others, but it is all part of the tree.

NOW, take a swipe at the tree from the very base. You still have an ENTIRE tree (roots excluded) with all the branches twigs, and nubs intact. You could still possibly point to a branch, but since you have the entire tree you couldn't start breaking that branch down as anything less than the entire tree without actually performing the "one swipe" technique on the branch. Make sense?

Irregardless, there is a whole science behind phylogenetic trees and how to classify species and organisms. I've only tried to give a very broad, visual image of it. One thing about phylogenetics... it is one of the most hotly contested parts of science. Recently, archaeologists unearthed a creature that was so closely half-mammalian/half-reptilian that these scientists actually almost got in a fistfight over whether to call it a mammal-like reptile or a reptilian-like mammal. See what happens when we start closing the gaps?? It gets hairy - no pun intended
Walking with Dinosaurs - Fact File: Cynodont

Last edited by GCSTroop; 02-10-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Tecnavia Web Platform Using 3_0f.ver Version p4

this is one reason I am so anti-religion.

cause religion just ignores science that it doesnt like. and it influences entire generations to be stupid.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Tecnavia Web Platform Using 3_0f.ver Version p4

this is one reason I am so anti-religion.

cause religion just ignores science that it doesnt like. and it influences entire generations to be stupid.
Thank you!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
what happens when science can't find an answer.

Science, if we've evolved, originally from fish...why are there STILL fish?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
I mean, if you think that the Adam & Eve hypothesis better explains how we came into existence than that of evolution (which 95% of scientists believe in), more power to ya!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
I mean, if you think that the Adam & Eve hypothesis better explains how we came into existence than that of evolution (which 95% of scientists believe in), more power to ya!
you need to define what you mean by better in this context. To scientists the best explanation is the one that doesn´t involve logical leaps and uses evidence to back it up.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
A comparison of embryos....I wonder why they look so similar in the early stages? Could it be that all creatures began with the same seed?

http://www.melbourne.indymedia.org/uploads/embryo-compare.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality