Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DID YOU PRAY THAT PRAYER AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD TO GOD?
YES 5 7.35%
NO 31 45.59%
I ALREADY PRAYED THAT PRAYER BEFORE 29 42.65%
OTHER 3 4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:07 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times

Advertisements

I will never consider myself "saved" until I stand before God and he says "Well done, good and faithful servant"

Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM

60 posts, read 76,709 times
...but you have to actually believe God in this life for Him to do that. He promises to save us if we call upon the name of the Lord. Why not do what He says to do?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
How many people do you know of that can honestly say that they had a GENUINE relationship with the Lord and then turned away? Besides that, there are many verses that I could show you as well.
Well, I'll have to think about your first question. I can think of one just right off the bat. He became involved with a girl who didn't know the Lord and turned away. I don't know that he actually rejected Christ but he seemed pretty close as I recall. The problem with anecdotal evidence like that, though, is that only the Lord knew (and knows) the condition of their heart to begin with. I could show you some verses too, but we'd just end up arguing about it. And the "once saved, always saved or not" thing is not something that I particularly find worth the argument because I also don't believe "once saved, hardly saved" if you know what I mean!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, I'll have to think about your first question. I can think of one just right off the bat. He became involved with a girl who didn't know the Lord and turned away. I don't know that he actually rejected Christ but he seemed pretty close as I recall. The problem with anecdotal evidence like that, though, is that only the Lord knew (and knows) the condition of their heart to begin with. I could show you some verses too, but we'd just end up arguing about it. And the "once saved, always saved or not" thing is not something that I particularly find worth the argument because I also don't believe "once saved, hardly saved" if you know what I mean!
How does the saying go? "To Thine Own Self be True?"

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
How does the saying go? "To Thine Own Self be True?"
So...if I personally don't believe that my hand will burn up if I stick it in a fire, will it still burn up? Yes, because that is a flawed arguement.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
For some reason I have always distristed rituals. I personally don't care much about rituals and only do the things I believe in.
Some people may call that pride, I just call it honesty.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
For some reason I have always distristed rituals. I personally don't care much about rituals and only do the things I believe in.
Some people may call that pride, I just call it honesty.
Same here Tricky, right from the time as a child when I was taken to church on Christmas eve for midnight mass, standing tiny among the adults all smelling of stale sweat and booze, on several occasions I nearly passed out. To hear the chanting and responses made me sag wishing to be outside. This simple beginning has lead me to question everything in life especially ritualistic behaviour and am satisfied that heaven is where you make it so am not trying to get there am doing my best right here.

Years later I learned of the beauty of the architecture of some of these edifices, but thats another story.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 PM

You attended the wrong church. That was the problem.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,289 times
Quote:
You attended the wrong church. That was the problem.
I have come to see this beginning as my salvation, but thanks anyway.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Quote:
So...if I personally don't believe that my hand will burn up if I stick it in a fire, will it still burn up? Yes, because that is a flawed arguement.
Don't take my statement out of context. That is exactly what you did. I was replying to kaykay's statement in regards to someone who seemingly rejected Jesus. My quoted statement inferred that only the person involved knows what they truly think and any outside individual can only speculate on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality