Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 PM

241 posts, read 246,281 times

Advertisements

I know about mass genocides dating back from a few decades that has nothing to do with homosexuals, but a corrupt and evil government. Sounds like the same old government using
a few misguided pastors and junk science to reinforce his own beliefs thats gays must die.
I see the law didnt pass and that quite a few of our American pastors condemned such behavior.
I also see that the movie maker is a homosexual who disenfranchised by the fast growing fundamentalist movement. To blame america for exporting it, is just wrong and misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It would have been nice for you to source your quotes with a link. But I guess that would have entailed providing easy access to the following information, from the same article you cite, and I'm sure you wanted to avoid that:

Here's the link:
God Loves Uganda | Variety
I actually clicked on the link that you provided me, I just scrolled down and read the entire link ;-)

I didnt know about the gay fight in Uganda, and thats just horrible. 1 more thing i learned today ;-)
No US pastor should be over there promoting or supporting any such thing. shame on them
But to take a whole sect 400+million and vilify them and America for importing it, thats just not
accurate. A few pastors dont represent America.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:31 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To be honest, the article was kind of unclear what it's even about--other than that Evangelicals are apparently bad for Uganda because *gasp* they think homosexuality is bad!
You gotta be blind, either that or you would be in favor of such laws.

"The large majority of churches in the U.S. raise money to do good in their communities and abroad. But this film makes clear that we must each be certain that our contributions at the collection plate are not going, directly or indirectly, toward supporting laws that call for the death of gays and lesbians."

Old 10-12-2013, 06:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I'm surprised you know nothing about the Ugandan "Kill the gays" bill and how it originated.

While this is just a wikipedia article, it will give you a starting place to educate yourself on the basics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_...sexuality_Bill
I'm familiar with it. I'm also aware of the fact that the "homosexuals" there tend to be pedophiles. This is more of an issue of being at war with pedophiles than anything else.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You gotta be blind, either that or you would be in favor of such laws.

"The large majority of churches in the U.S. raise money to do good in their communities and abroad. But this film makes clear that we must each be certain that our contributions at the collection plate are not going, directly or indirectly, toward supporting laws that call for the death of gays and lesbians."
I would be nice if it gave more details besides a quick one-liner like that. I'm sorry, I came away from the article wondering what kind of actual documentation it would show for its claims.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlanynna View Post
I actually clicked on the link that you provided me, I just scrolled down and read the entire link ;-)

I didnt know about the gay fight in Uganda, and thats just horrible. 1 more thing i learned today ;-)
No US pastor should be over there promoting or supporting any such thing. shame on them
I'm glad you took the time to learn a little more about it.

Quote:
But to take a whole sect 400+million and vilify them and America for importing it, thats just not
accurate.
But that's not what the documentary is doing at all.

Quote:
A few pastors dont represent America.
It's more that a few pastors, but you are right that it is a minority of so-called "Christians" misusing their religion.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm familiar with it. I'm also aware of the fact that the "homosexuals" there tend to be pedophiles. This is more of an issue of being at war with pedophiles than anything else.
Wow.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you took the time to learn a little more about it.

But that's not what the documentary is doing at all.

It's more that a few pastors, but you are right that it is a minority of so-called "Christians" misusing their religion.
Thats all I have a problem with, I dont wanna be thrown in the bucket with these folks, neither do I want
the name of America just because of a few zealots who would sell their mothers soul for a dollar.
Im going to make sure my dollar doesnt go toward that kind of stuff.
Seems like lately, you cant turn on the news and see Christian beliefs mocked or attacked. I took it as another attack rather read the whole thing. sorry

Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Wow.

Glad to educate you. You should check it out.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:24 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,232 times
Quote:
Where did the poster say anything at all like that?
When he used this phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
the rabid anti-gay atmosphere in Africa fostered by American evangelicals.

He is implying there is anti-gay feeling in Uganda only because it is fostered by Americans.

African civilizations are much older that our European-American civilization and they have had plenty of time to develop their own set of prejudices. They don't need us to tell them what to think.

Last edited by hiker45; 10-12-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality