Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times

Advertisements

This looks entertaining, especially for us atheists. But I can't help but wonder why this would be necessary, if God is supposedly in control, as many of these Baptists believe. Several of these people who are doing the "rescue" are from my hometown. This will enlighten some of you as to how I was raised. Started at 10:00 EST, on Nat Geo.

Church Rescue - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
???

So what is your point? What are you trying to say? How is Christianity a failure according to this confusing trailer?

Looks like its a group who helps out financially troubled churches. You have a problem with that? And what has this got to do with how you were raised....unless you were raised to help people in need. Which is a good thing.

Atheists grasping at straws.

Give it a rest. Be happy in your atheism. If you can.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
This looks entertaining, especially for us atheists. But I can't help but wonder why this would be necessary, if God is supposedly in control, as many of these Baptists believe. Several of these people who are doing the "rescue" are from my hometown. This will enlighten some of you as to how I was raised. Started at 10:00 EST, on Nat Geo.

Church Rescue - YouTube
Maybe God sent the rescue team. He truly is sovereign. Why would you think he only works the way YOU expect him to work?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
This looks like the Hotel Impossible formula applied to churches, and why not? Church folk become attached to ideas to the point of persisting in them even when they don't work, at the same rate as non-church folk. Just like they divorce or go to jail, etc., at about the same rates.

What will interest me about this show is how they tap-dance around magical thinking. On a show like Hotel Impossible there can be zero tolerance for that, as you clearly need an empirical mindset to run a business. But how do you jolt a "man of god" out of a course of action that he claims God told him to pursue?? I don't know how they would do the reality checks in a church environment.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:02 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
???

So what is your point? What are you trying to say? How is Christianity a failure according to this confusing trailer?

Looks like its a group who helps out financially troubled churches. You have a problem with that? And what has this got to do with how you were raised....unless you were raised to help people in need. Which is a good thing.

Atheists grasping at straws.

Give it a rest. Be happy in your atheism. If you can.
It's the hypocrisy of the entire concept that's quite hilarious. The Pastor supposedly knowing that God wants him to save his money for this lavish sanctuary, but instead, as Mordant recognized, let these outsiders talk him out of doing what he believes God told him to do. I'm quite certain the Pastor would preach to his congregation to follow God's lead, as I was told when I was growing up. I can't be certain, but I imagine that all participants were paid, which would mean that the money, or the materials to fix up his church, was enough to talk this Pastor out of following what he perceived was God's guidance.

Yes, I was raised to help people, but without expecting pay for doing so, as I have done with my children. This is not a religious issue. My point was that I was raised by these same types of people, Southern Baptists; not necessarily a bad thing, just a look into my past. As a matter of fact, one of the "stars" is the nephew of one of my best childhood friends. This was a very small town of about 2000 people, so everyone knew everyone else, where no alcohol is allowed to be sold inside the city limits.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
This video is not available in Canada...

Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
It's the hypocrisy of the entire concept that's quite hilarious. The Pastor supposedly knowing that God wants him to save his money for this lavish sanctuary, but instead, as Mordant recognized, let these outsiders talk him out of doing what he believes God told him to do. I'm quite certain the Pastor would preach to his congregation to follow God's lead, as I was told when I was growing up. I can't be certain, but I imagine that all participants were paid, which would mean that the money, or the materials to fix up his church, was enough to talk this Pastor out of following what he perceived was God's guidance.

Yes, I was raised to help people, but without expecting pay for doing so, as I have done with my children. This is not a religious issue. My point was that I was raised by these same types of people, Southern Baptists; not necessarily a bad thing, just a look into my past. As a matter of fact, one of the "stars" is the nephew of one of my best childhood friends. This was a very small town of about 2000 people, so everyone knew everyone else, where no alcohol is allowed to be sold inside the city limits.
Again....how is this "Christianity failing"? If God wants to use a TV program to provide for his church, he will.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This video is not available in Canada...
Just google Church Rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality